Sponsored by:

With aftermarket cd player? will cd changer still work

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-08, 08:31 AM
OnyxGS300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With aftermarket cd player? will cd changer still work

On my 99 GS300 the green back light on the radio is starting to go out, so i was thinking of just replacing it with aftermarket double din cd,dvd player, or just another cd player, but I was wondering can i still use the factory cd changer if i went with a aftermarket system. Also if I was to just to upgrade and get like a navi system out of another GS would it be direct replacement?
Old 11-06-08, 08:47 AM
handoverfi
Pole Position

i duno about that one.. maybe with some special adapter or an older campatible HU not sure!!! id like to keep mine if possible!!!
Old 11-06-08, 08:52 AM
phable6
Driver

When I installed my aftermarket Navi into my gs300 I lost both the Cd changer and the oem amp/Sub. I'm pretty sure you'll lose that function also as you install an aftermarket Cd/Dvd player. Thats just my head's up.
Old 11-06-08, 10:04 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phable6
When I installed my aftermarket Navi into my gs300 I lost both the Cd changer and the oem amp/Sub. I'm pretty sure you'll lose that function also as you install an aftermarket Cd/Dvd player. Thats just my head's up.
He's right!
Old 11-06-08, 01:16 PM
sokoyoo
Driver School Candidate

Spent alot of time at circuit city trying to install a cd player, still can't figure out which harness to use.
Stupid question, by losing the factory amp, how much power is lost from the audio system?
do people bypass the amp and not put in an aftermarket and the music is fine?
Old 11-06-08, 02:53 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sokoyoo
Spent alot of time at circuit city trying to install a cd player, still can't figure out which harness to use.
Stupid question, by losing the factory amp, how much power is lost from the audio system?
do people bypass the amp and not put in an aftermarket and the music is fine?
Not sure exactly what the OEM amp is rated at, but many of today's head units have more than enough power to bypass the amp and self power the speakers. I did this on my 99 LS400 with the Nakamichi system and my Alpine W205 had enough power to play at moderate loud levels. You do loose the stock sub though unless you hook up additional aftermarket amps. Personally I would go with aftermarket amps.
Old 11-06-08, 04:08 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You use 2 Toyota Harnesses..and just extend the wires from your HU's harness end to the factory Amp's harness end.
Old 11-07-08, 11:03 AM
sokoyoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
You use 2 Toyota Harnesses..and just extend the wires from your HU's harness end to the factory Amp's harness end.
Thanks lexusscturbo,
I am very new to this. and don't understand what you mean by "extend the wires", and use 2 toyota harnesses, you mean the same kind? sorry this is all over my head, but I NEED the cd player that plays mp3 or wma.
Old 11-10-08, 09:13 AM
patchcd
Driver School Candidate

Default new in-dash unit

I installed a newJVC HD radio/cd player from Crutchfield. They supplied all wire harnesses needed to complete the install. I found an install kit on Ebay and it looks great!

97 ES300
Old 12-25-08, 12:23 PM
xcelr8
Pole Position

Isn't there SOME way to keep the stock CD changer? I can't believe there's no way and that no one has done it...
Old 01-18-09, 07:41 PM
pflinker
Driver School Candidate

I know that some of the Pioneer models that end in "MP" have the ability to connect to the EOM changer but I don't know if there is any special wiring needed or if the existing plug will work in the jack on the back of the aftermarket units. Somewhere on the site I remember someone from Ohio left a tread that they could do it for people for free but I can't remember where.
Old 01-18-09, 08:27 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sokoyoo
Thanks lexusscturbo,
I am very new to this. and don't understand what you mean by "extend the wires", and use 2 toyota harnesses, you mean the same kind? sorry this is all over my head, but I NEED the cd player that plays mp3 or wma.
You'll need to take out the factory Pioneer/Toyota amp..then plug in a Toyota/Schoshe harness to one end..Then take some standard speaker wire and solder or butt connect the wires to the Headunit harnesses' end (also plugged into a Schoshe-nomex) plug...