Sponsored by:

VAIS and iPod Charging

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-08, 01:37 PM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default VAIS and iPod Charging

I have a VAIS iPod adapter and recently had a real scare. I probably drive only 15-20 miles on the average weekday, so the iPod doesn't get that much charge time through the VAIS unit. Yesterday morning, it had become so deeply discharged that it wouldn't turn on or charge through the VAIS unit or through the computer/USB cable (which is how I normally charge at my desk).

Since it was completely dead and wouldn't wake up to the power being provided by the car or computer, I initially took it for broken. Fortunately, it occured to me that both of those charging methods seem to require feedback from the iPod, where the AC adapter doesn't -- the iPod needs to tell the computer it's there before charging begins and while completely dead, it can't do that. The AC charger brought it back.

The long and short of this is that I'm wondering if my iPod "sleep" setting should be configured in a particular way relative to the VAIS unit and keeping charged? Right now it's set to "off" which I suppose is the default. As far as I know, it does seem to shut off after some period.

I turned the backlight off which I suppose should help some.