Sponsored by:

What is the Best Free Air Subwoofers for the GS 10-12"

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-02, 01:58 PM
enginyr
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the Best Free Air Subwoofers for the GS 10-12"

I know JL Audio Makes a 10 IB4, which stands for 10", Infinite baffle, 4 ohm. Are there any other Manufactures that make an Infinite baffle speaker (Not requring a specific Volume enclosure).
Old 02-20-02, 02:11 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too many to name, but I'm thinking you're an IDMAX kind of guy. I've heard Eclipse Aluminums perform really well IB. For SPL (which I doubt you're going for, otherwise you would use an enclosure), the new Adire Brahma took 5K watts freeair and survived, je crois.

BTW, anyone looking for an IDMAX @ the cheapest price, caraudiocrazy.com sells it for $300, and you can pricematch it @ Sounddomain.com and get the full warranty.
Old 02-20-02, 02:22 PM
enginyr
Banned

Are you talking about this one?

http://www.caraudiocrazy.com/product.cfm?ProductID=921

What do you think of this Velodyne Woofer....Any Special things I would need?

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1332223662

What amp would you recomend for either subwoofer.
Old 02-21-02, 05:05 AM
victor
Rookie

Default Velodyne

Enginyr,
There is nothing you would need with that sub. I have one myself as well as Percy has the 12".
Old 02-21-02, 08:40 AM
enginyr
Banned

Default Re: Velodyne

Originally posted by victor
Enginyr,
There is nothing you would need with that sub. I have one myself as well as Percy has the 12".

How would the Velodyne compaire to a JL Audio Sub.
Old 02-21-02, 11:24 AM
victor
Rookie

Default Velodyne

What are you looking for it to do??? The velodyne is an 8 ohm speaker. I think the JL is a 4 ohm. You will need more power for the Vel........As for SPL you might want the JL. But, for sound quality............The velodyne will lay the JL on it's stomach and take him......... Drop the soap and make the JL pick it up.............you got me????

You get the picture. (Statement)

It's all in what you want. I myself am about sound quality.

The name.......Victor
Old 02-21-02, 11:29 AM
enginyr
Banned

What are you looking for it to do??? The velodyne is an 8 ohm speaker. I think the JL is a 4 ohm. You will need more power for the Vel........As for SPL you might want the JL. But, for sound quality............The velodyne will lay the JL on it's stomach and take him......... Drop the soap and make the JL pick it up.............you got me????

You get the picture. (Statement)

It's all in what you want. I myself am about sound quality.

The name.......Victor
The jl is dual voice coilded 4 ohm x 4ohm.....wires in series is 8 ohm.

Which will hit harder.
Old 02-21-02, 11:45 AM
victor
Rookie

The JL will probably hit harder.............
Old 02-21-02, 03:27 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Oops, the 10" factor didn't come to mind when I made my suggestions. Although that website has it listed, the IDMAX 10" doesn't come out for another few months. I don't think Adire even makes 10" subs at all. That leaves the Eclipse, which would certainly beat out both the IB4 as well as the Velodyne in SPL. Most people would agree that the Velodyne would win in terms of SQ, but the Eclipse is no slump. The administrator over at Soundillusions.net ran two 8812's freeair for quite a while (think he still does) and he was happy with it.

Judging by your "which will hit harder" comment, you're at least somewhat concerned about the SPL. I think you should either use an enclosure and significantly expand your options, or wait for the IDMAX 10" to come out.

Last edited by BabaBooey; 02-21-02 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-21-02, 03:30 PM
enginyr
Banned

My main concern is weight. Thats why I want to go with the free air setup (No Box).
Old 02-21-02, 03:41 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Ahh. Although I don't usually recommend their products due to the attitude of the company owner, Audiomobile's MASS works well in very small enclosures. I think that the aforementioned Brahma would weigh about the same as a MASS in a .75ft^3 enclosure (they also make EVO's, which will have less output, but weigh even less and fit in even smaller enclosures). Image Dynamics's IDQ subs can also work well in small enclosures (recommended sealed box size= .3-.6 ft^3!) and are very light.
Old 02-21-02, 03:54 PM
enginyr
Banned

Ba baboie...I am not sure you are familiar with the GS trunk. We have a Stock 10" woofer mounted in the deck. I could make a conversion plate to convert the 10 to a 12" woofer and add an amp. Thus not needing a box AT ALL.

So far I haven't seen any free air woofer besides the JL, Velodyne or Image dynamics.
Old 02-21-02, 05:16 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Pretty sure dynaudio says their subs can be used free air. Also, the ads A series are supposed to do well free air but not sure whether ads recommends it or not. Leave the Velodyne on your list but you will be finding it used with all that implies. The first bidder on the one that just went on ebay said the unit was broken and he withdrew his bid. At least the other brands mentioned here can all be acquired factory fresh.
Old 02-21-02, 06:50 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Originally posted by enginyr
Ba baboie...I am not sure you are familiar with the GS trunk. We have a Stock 10" woofer mounted in the deck. I could make a conversion plate to convert the 10 to a 12" woofer and add an amp. Thus not needing a box AT ALL.

So far I haven't seen any free air woofer besides the JL, Velodyne or Image dynamics.
How do you plan on building a plate to fit a larger object into it? Are you going to hang it just below the rear deck? If that's what you're looking to do, you should probably build another baffle separating the front of the sub and rear so as to help prevent cancellation.

Been reading up on the Brahma and MAX. Just read that the IDMAX 10" is coming out later this month. You should definitely consider waiting for it. Someone at CES was sending a 12" MAX 1000watts freeair to get it to full excursion in his daily driver, something unheard of in IB configurations (don't even think about doing this to a Velodyne!) due to their efficiency. I'd say that the IDMAX 10" and a JBL 600.1 would be an awesome combination.

As for the Brahma, it looks like I may be wrong on the free-air app. I was correct in that it took a helluva lot of power freeair, but I just checked out the T/S's and it's got a very low Vas, meaning it likes very small enclosures- something rare among SPL woofers. IB setups are pretty similar to putting the sub in a HUGE box.
Old 02-21-02, 08:25 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Enginyr,
Victor,

You need an external amp of at least 100 watts rms with no subsonic filter. Also the sub is rated for 4 ohms. You're thinking of the home version which is (i believe) 8 ohms. The only reason it needs more power is due to the servo mechanism and it uses the power to correct any overshoot. Maxes out at 113 db due to it's design. JL WILL HIT HARDER if it's an equal situation. But for terms of accuracy, you already know the story.

Ron,

You're right on the Dyn subs. Free air quite possible. http://www.dynaudiona.com for more info. MW190's should bolt on under the deck. How is your system going?

Enginyr,

You could bottom mount (mount under the deck) with a spacer ring (to keep cone from hitting small bevel in the stock opening). This is how I have my 12 inch mounted. Works great. No plate needed!

BabaBooey,

Never tried IDMAX. Full excursion? Sounds like some major SPL!!!

Percy

Quick Reply: What is the Best Free Air Subwoofers for the GS 10-12"