Sponsored by:

need subwoofer advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 07:21 AM
marines
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need subwoofer advice

need advice on what sub to buy to replace stock sub in my 01 gs300. have a kenwood dnx-7120 head unit,which i love. just purchased 2 pr of alpine spr-13c 5.25 speakers for the doors. was looking at a type-r sub to replace the stock one. just wondering if this is a good choice? will it sound good in the rear deck? if not, what to do...also, with a new sub, will the 200 watt amp from the 7120 be enough to push it? have a 800 watt for the speakers. sorry guys,alot of questions. kinda novice to this...thanks...peace
Old 10-07-08, 08:25 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

What's your budget and what size sub are you looking for? Since it is a rear deck install, you need one with a Qts of .5 to .7 and an Fs of about 30hz. Yes, you can look for subs that have the "free air" or "infinite baffle" label but that is just the marketing department. There are dozens of different subs that will work. The Exodus Audio DPL-10 should be a great fit if you are looking for a 10".

-Robert
Old 10-07-08, 10:22 AM
marines
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the reply rob. money isnt a big issue. dont want to break the bank though. thought since i was going with the alpine type r speakers that a type-r sub would be a nice fit. heard good things bout it also. not looking to shatter the windows or anything. also, would the built in 200 watt amp in my head unit be enough to power it? thanks
Old 10-07-08, 10:24 AM
marines
Driver School Candidate

sorry. looking for a 10'', unless a 12 can fit. then possibly a 12
Old 10-07-08, 10:36 AM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Um.. I dont think the HU would be nearly enough to push the type R. It might say 200 watts but I think that it mean it is putting our 50 watts per speaker with an RMS rating that is usually for most Head units stock around 15 or 18 watts. Your best bet is to keep the 800 watt amp going to the componets and just buying a seperate amp for the sub. I would highly recommend a TMA 500. It only costs about $150 online and these things put out more power than what they are rated at. Its made by JL audio and my TMA 250 so far has been great.
Old 10-07-08, 10:40 AM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Actually just looked it up its 22 watts RMS for your head unit, thats designed for just your speakers, not a sub. 50 watts peak per channel x 4 = 200 watts.
Old 10-07-08, 11:48 AM
marines
Driver School Candidate

thanks captain. i actually have a 4 channel 600 watt powering the 2 sets of speakers. should i use that to power the sub and look for another amp to power the speakers? if so,what size. or get another one for just the sub? if so,what size? just won the 10 inch alpine 1042-d r series. so thats what sub im going with. thanks
Old 10-07-08, 05:28 PM
VAgs430
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a type R sounds good but a type X will sound better... i have a 12" alpine type X and a mrd-1005 alpine amp and it sounds great.... i dont recommend installing a sub in your deck where the stock sub was... its near impossible to get rid of the rattle from the deck. u can just run the sub in a sealed box (for the type X... sounds best in this) or a portedbox if you go with a type R.... if u go with the type r or x u will havve to get a new amp
Old 10-07-08, 07:03 PM
marines
Driver School Candidate

thanks vags430. if im running the 10'' type-r what channel amp would i use? and how many watts would i need? sorry for all the q's guys, just want to get it right the first time
Old 10-07-08, 07:58 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Well I still would suggest just getting another amp. Type R componets are power hungry and you should be having the right amount going to them from your 4-channel. I would keep that on the two sets and just run a mono amp. No bridging required, just one channel to one sub. Like I said before my personal suggestion is a TMA 500 from ebay for about $150 bucks. It has a true RMS rating of 500 watts which might be lower than what it actually puts out. Your Type-R sub has a RMS of 500 watts to so you'll be able to maximize the potential of the sub with it. Alpine also makes good amps, Kicker, Jl, but they are all more expensive. Personally my next amp is going to be a TMA 500 and for the money and power it puts out I say its a winner.
Old 10-07-08, 08:02 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spending money on components and not spending a lil more to get a good amp is just a waste... don't bother trying to push components off of the headunit alone... it would work but adding an amp makes a huge difference. Also use a dedicated amp for your sub.. if you're installing it in the rear deck you'll have infinite baffle unless the sub your using is designed for open air.
Old 10-08-08, 06:36 AM
marines
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys for all the advice. definately going to put it to good use. im looking into the tma500 right now captain. ill let you guys know how everything goes. if anybody has any more advice, dont hesitate
Old 10-08-08, 08:23 AM
arpham
Lead Lap

Hey I was just at the Philly meet and saw Tai's setup. It sounded real nice, he had custom/factory look done with a JL 10" W3 that sounded amazing. Thats what I would get. Specially when you have a Lexus you don't wanna look stupid riding down with too much bump.. i mean if your into that thats cool but 10" W3 should do the job. Ask wowitztai for pictures of his trunk. It looks really clean.

hope this helps
Old 10-09-08, 08:20 AM
marines
Driver School Candidate

just had a rockford fosgate p300.1 amp given to me. is it enough to power my alpine 10'' type-r sub? thanks
Old 10-09-08, 08:30 AM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

It actually wont be. Your sub is a 4 ohm and the RF only puts out 150watts RMS going into 4ohm. Thats only a 1/4 of the power that the sub can handle. Although I would try it out first. I personally dont have any experience with RF but I would hook it up, turn the gain way up, and see what it sounds like. It was free so its still worth a try.

Quick Reply: need subwoofer advice