Sponsored by:

Audio Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-08, 12:02 PM
skhang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Issues

I just bought a 2001 GS430 with Nav and ML. I get no sound or movement from the subwoofer. And I get no sound from the tweeter. The front and rears speakers work. I read through the manual and did not find anything about being able to turn the subwoofer on/off (like many aftermarket head unit).

Could it be a bad amp? Is there fuse for subwoofer/tweeter?
Old 10-06-08, 12:10 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you need sub anyway? Lol
Old 10-06-08, 12:37 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by skhang
I just bought a 2001 GS430 with Nav and ML. I get no sound or movement from the subwoofer. And I get no sound from the tweeter. The front and rears speakers work. I read through the manual and did not find anything about being able to turn the subwoofer on/off (like many aftermarket head unit).

Could it be a bad amp? Is there fuse for subwoofer/tweeter?
I would check under the rear deck and see if there is any evidence of the previous owner having installed a aftermarket system. They may have cut wires at the sub and tweeters to install their aftermarket stuff and not taken the time to hook everything back up correctly when they uninstalled it.

Originally Posted by Vadim540i
Why do you need sub anyway? Lol
I don't know about you but I tend to fix anything that breaks or is not working on my cars.
Old 10-06-08, 12:38 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the tweeters you probably wouldn't be able to tell are working without a voltmeter, since the sound output is above what our ears can detect.

the sub on the other hand, check all your settings, make sure your bass is up, fade is even. if that doesnt work, check the actual connections to the sub's terminals. if that doesn't work, check the connections on the factory amp located behind the glove box. if that doesn't work,youll need to pull your radio and check the connections on the back of the radio.

if the sub was blown you would hear a buzzing sound instead of clean bass like normal.

much outside of that, it would have to be either a fuse issue with the amp (either external or built-in fuse) or a problem with the wiring. many people have problems with the ML sub for some reason, though it was supposed to be the premium audio product. if the amp was bad your door speakers wouldn't work either, as they recieve power from it too.

also, go to the sticky at the top of the forum labeled "cool hidden features" or whatever, and search for the radio setting trick. Try that, and see if you can adjust your outputs to make the sub come back.

if all else fails, go aftermarket.
Old 10-06-08, 12:48 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Debonair
I would check under the rear deck and see if there is any evidence of the previous owner having installed a aftermarket system. They may have cut wires at the sub and tweeters to install their aftermarket stuff and not taken the time to hook everything back up correctly when they uninstalled it.

I don't know about you but I tend to fix anything that breaks or is not working on my cars.
Cmon it was joke
Old 10-06-08, 12:56 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
the tweeters you probably wouldn't be able to tell are working without a voltmeter, since the sound output is above what our ears can detect.
Wrong, you can detect if tweeters are working. You'll hear very high pitch sound coming from them. If tweeter's frequency will be above human's ear detection range, why would they put it in the car at all, if you cant hear it? Think about infra-red headlights or horn with <5Hz frequency.
Old 10-06-08, 01:04 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Cmon it was joke
Sorry, i mistook that crack.

Now IR Headlamps- that would be sick!
Old 10-06-08, 01:30 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

also, go to the sticky at the top of the forum labeled "cool hidden features" or whatever, and search for the radio setting trick. Try that, and see if you can adjust your outputs to make the sub come back.

Hey, I remember reading that thread but radio setting trick works only for Pioneer systems isn't it? I have Nakamichi, can I do that trick as well?

Thanks.
Old 10-06-08, 01:43 PM
skhang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Debonair
everything is still oem. all speakers and subwoofer still have ML on them. the connections are also still soldered on. i have not checked the connection on the amp, yet.

the sub on the other hand, check all your settings, make sure your bass is up, fade is even. if that doesnt work, check the actual connections to the sub's terminals. if that doesn't work, check the connections on the factory amp located behind the glove box. if that doesn't work,youll need to pull your radio and check the connections on the back of the radio.

if the sub was blown you would hear a buzzing sound instead of clean bass like normal.

much outside of that, it would have to be either a fuse issue with the amp (either external or built-in fuse) or a problem with the wiring. many people have problems with the ML sub for some reason, though it was supposed to be the premium audio product. if the amp was bad your door speakers wouldn't work either, as they recieve power from it too.

i dont think the subwoofer is blown (even though i cant hear anything). the subwoofer cone itself is not ripped. i tried another subwoofer and no sound as well.

i also tried the audio trick but i dont think it works on my car. assuming it is the one where you have to hold climate + audio and turn parking lights on and off 3-4 times.

will have to check the amp and back of nav to see if there are any connections issue.
Old 10-06-08, 01:56 PM
VEGAS DRE
Driver

when my ML sub went out it didnt work at all ! not a sound out of it ! my best guess would be blown tweeters and factory sub ! cause the front door speakers are connected to the tweeters on the same channel of the amp ! and since the front and rear speakers are working that leads to blown tweeters and theyre still connected when you pull the door panel off !
Old 10-06-08, 03:08 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Wrong, you can detect if tweeters are working. You'll hear very high pitch sound coming from them. If tweeter's frequency will be above human's ear detection range, why would they put it in the car at all, if you cant hear it? Think about infra-red headlights or horn with <5Hz frequency.
no, you're wrong. the reason the tweeters are there is to offset certain frequencies of the mid speakers and subs so that the sound is a lot cleaner. Take all the treble out of your system. See how it sounds muffled? the tweeter cancels certain frequencies (but you are correct, it does put out some of its own but are hard to detect with all the speakers running) to clean up the sound.

and actually, speaking of IR headlights, cadillac has had a combo night vision/IR camera system in their DTS for years now. just not headlights
Old 10-06-08, 04:44 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

tweeters cancel frequencies? you can't hear tweeters? first i've heard
Old 10-06-08, 04:59 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by excluesive
tweeters cancel frequencies? you can't hear tweeters? first i've heard
no no, you can hear certain frequencies that the tweeters are putting out but it's nearly impossible with the rest of the speakers running.

the frequencies i'm referring to that 'cancel' (wrong word, i suppose offset would be more appropriate) compensate for the 'in between' frequencies that will cause your ears to hear a muffled sound.
Old 10-06-08, 06:10 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

no no, you can hear certain frequencies that the tweeters are putting out but it's nearly impossible with the rest of the speakers running.

the frequencies i'm referring to that 'cancel' (wrong word, i suppose offset would be more appropriate) compensate for the 'in between' frequencies that will cause your ears to hear a muffled sound.
the just pick up where the mids fall off somewhere around 4.5khz. Its not that its muffled, thats how those speakers are made. the tweeters continue to the higher frequencies giving the clarity that those frequencies make. Im sure you know this and just not wording it right
Old 10-06-08, 06:13 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by excluesive
Im sure you know this and just not wording it right
just went back to classes after a week off, mind is fried, and you know what i'm talking about. haha well done, cheers

Quick Reply: Audio Issues