Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Sub & Amp questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-08, 01:17 PM
Jeff Smith
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert_J
If you have the Theile/Small parameters for any sub, it is a 5 minute task to simulate them in an IB configuration and easily determine how much power it takes to push them to their limits. With any IB install, the RMS rating on a speaker becomes useless (it's already mostly useless) because the voice coil will never reach its thermal limits. In an IB, it is all about mechanical parameters and how well the suspension is designed.

-Robert
Robert I totally understand what your saying but, I'm giving my experiences from real world installations. I've been in the car audio industry of 18 years now and have built a lot of IB installs and I've seen woofer that are designed for IB not work as well as other not designed for it.
Old 10-03-08, 02:38 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Do you mean marketed as an IB or actually designed for IB? Based on specs, I see very little that should work well in an IB even though the marketing department slapped that label on them. I'm a firm believer in specs and ignoring labels. In fact ignoring the "manufacturer" as well. If it works, who cares who made it.

There is some good IB discussion going on right now at diyma.com (DIY Mobile Audio). It's a thread about Critical Mass 6" subs that are really Tang Band models. About half way through, the focus of the dicussion changed. Manville Smith from JL Audio has some very good info.

-Robert
Old 10-22-08, 06:48 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

...Guys what do you think of a 10" JL W3-V3 (4 Ohm) in the factory location in that rear deck lid of my GS400? I can get this speaker new for $150/shipped! Do you think this will be a pretty good thump?

Again, I am not looking for anything competition. Right now my two 12" Rockford Hx2's (in a ported box) are too much for me and is rattling the crap out of my trunk...and I have my stock deck set to -5 on the bass to boot!!! I want to down size but want to still have some decent bass. What do you guys think?
Old 10-22-08, 09:52 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
...Guys what do you think of a 10" JL W3-V3 (4 Ohm) in the factory location in that rear deck lid of my GS400? I can get this speaker new for $150/shipped! Do you think this will be a pretty good thump?

Again, I am not looking for anything competition. Right now my two 12" Rockford Hx2's (in a ported box) are too much for me and is rattling the crap out of my trunk...and I have my stock deck set to -5 on the bass to boot!!! I want to down size but want to still have some decent bass. What do you guys think?
To tell you the truth one of the best infinite baffle setups I have heard in the GS has got to be ohhpapi44's car. He has the 13Ov2 Elemental designs in his car and it hits nice and on point not too hard but nice and mellow. It performs well and is in the price range that you are looking for. Plus I can help you install and tune it since I helped with the installation of it in Cliff's car and we already have a template for it. BTW he is powering it from the stock navi headunit as well.
Old 10-24-08, 06:59 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Spyder78
To tell you the truth one of the best infinite baffle setups I have heard in the GS has got to be ohhpapi44's car. He has the 13Ov2 Elemental designs in his car and it hits nice and on point not too hard but nice and mellow. It performs well and is in the price range that you are looking for. Plus I can help you install and tune it since I helped with the installation of it in Cliff's car and we already have a template for it. BTW he is powering it from the stock navi headunit as well.
Great Spyder! So you would recommend this sub over the JL W3? I need it to be a 4 Ohm sub though; for the type of amp I have. Does this 13Ov2 Elemental designs come in 4 Ohms? Where can I buy it? I can't find it anywhere on-line.

If you could help me out with this install it would be awesome! Let me know. I am going to PM Cliff right now to get some more info. Thanks again!!!
Old 10-25-08, 09:31 AM
mpsarmi
Driver

...hmmm no one has replaced their stock subwoofer???
I have. I replaced mine with a Rockford Punch P1S410 10in subwoofer. It's free air sounds good. It's powered by an Alpine MRP-500 mono amp. I'm looking to replace it with an old school Soundstream 405s 5ch amp which I just picked up and run USD Audio Wave Guide Components and Mids.

Last edited by mpsarmi; 10-26-08 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-30-08, 08:57 PM
Electrodyn
Former Sponsor

I agree with Robert J. An XBL^2 IB sub is about as good as you're going to get. XBL^2 has the distinct advantage of lowering distortion, increasing Xmax, and actually shrinking mounting depth compared to similar excursion subwoofers. If an XBL^2 subwoofer has 12mm of linear stroke and you compare it to a 12mm Xmax normal overhung or underhung design, the XBL^2 subwoofer will still be cleaner, longer, than it's normal counterpart due to the flat BL design. In other words, it stays cleaner longer.

I am currently working with Mr. Wiggles (Dan Wiggins) on both of my new subwoofer offerings and I absolutely LOVE XBL^2.

PS: The Exodus audio IB sub will walk all over the eD offering. In this particular application the Exodus subwoofer is more specifically geared towards the installation and still offers lower distortion. Lower distortion is always a good thing.
Old 11-04-08, 10:03 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Electrodyn
I agree with Robert J. An XBL^2 IB sub is about as good as you're going to get. XBL^2 has the distinct advantage of lowering distortion, increasing Xmax, and actually shrinking mounting depth compared to similar excursion subwoofers. If an XBL^2 subwoofer has 12mm of linear stroke and you compare it to a 12mm Xmax normal overhung or underhung design, the XBL^2 subwoofer will still be cleaner, longer, than it's normal counterpart due to the flat BL design. In other words, it stays cleaner longer.

I am currently working with Mr. Wiggles (Dan Wiggins) on both of my new subwoofer offerings and I absolutely LOVE XBL^2.

PS: The Exodus audio IB sub will walk all over the eD offering. In this particular application the Exodus subwoofer is more specifically geared towards the installation and still offers lower distortion. Lower distortion is always a good thing.
...where can I buy this "Exodus" IB sub or the Image Dynamics ID series IB subs previously mentioned?

Is this "XBL^2" a particular technology in certain subs? I apologize for the ignorance...I don't know much about audio.

Robert J - I know you mentioned the DIY Cable DPL-10; where can I purchase this 10" sub.

I looked all over the internet for buying the previously suggested subs but can't find them anywhere.

Should I just take one of my 12" RF HX2's out and custom fit it in the 10" opening in the rear deck lid? I am not looking for a competition sound. Will this speaker suffice for my IB setup?

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 11-04-08 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-04-08, 04:25 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

...where can I buy this "Exodus" IB sub ....
Robert J - I know you mentioned the DIY Cable DPL-10; where can I purchase this 10" sub.

I looked all over the internet for buying the previously suggested subs but can't find them anywhere.
Did you try the link in my first post? It takes you right to diycable.com and the Exodus Audio DPL-10 sub.

Is this "XBL^2" a particular technology in certain subs? I apologize for the ignorance...I don't know much about audio..
Not only applicable to sub, Dan has used it in mids and tweeters.
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2TechPaper.pdf

-Robert
Old 11-05-08, 01:54 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Sorry Robert; I didn't realize you could order there. I just checked out that site again. I think I need a 4 ohm sub with 250W+ RMS power. This Exodus sub looks great but it mentions it is a 6.5 ohm with 300W Max...not sure what RMS power is rated at. Please let me know. This sub looks great and I am looking to perhaps purchase this thing but I wouldn't want to blow it with my Kenwwod amp (link w/specs noted on my first post). Thanks again...
Old 11-05-08, 03:07 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

That amp/sub combination will work just fine. In fact, your amp will put out a little less than max power, run cooler, draw less power from your alternator and have more control over the sub's moving parts.

Power ratings on subs are worthless most of the time. 99.9% of the time in IB subs.

-Robert
Old 11-06-08, 11:14 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

...Thanks for all your help Robert! I'll look into buying this sub; I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 11-06-08, 01:18 PM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got this hooked up in my '01 GS430

elemental Designs SQ10 ($70)
Soundstream Granite 180.6: the sub channel is bridged to 100W into 4ohms

The other four factory speaker are running directly off of the Pioneer AVIC-D3

I can tell you with the windows down and the Sub Channel gain on the D3 set to +2 with the D3 lowpass set at 125 ... the thing kicks with the windows down doing 60mph on the highway.

Now there is a lot of 'buzz' since it is mounted on the rear deck but I will try some RAAMMat to see if I can neutralize the vibrations.
Old 11-18-08, 05:37 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

I didn't read through the whole thread but this is what i think.

If you want to go free air then i think you should look at some Elemental design subs.

I don't know if this has been mention yet but i will. Since you ran two subs which the hx2are some really great old school rf subs, you probably don't want to back to ib. I think you'll be disappointed but i'm not sure how much like you like the bass with your hx2.
Old 11-19-08, 04:30 PM
Electrodyn
Former Sponsor

The Exodus IB 10" will not only provide more output than the eD 10, but it will provide lower distortion throughout the entire operating range. With lower inductance also, it will play higher (if needed) and be "faster" providing you with better transient response. I have a paper hosted here about inductance and woofer speed.

Not only that, but the eD is a close (I'm just going to say "close" for now) copy of this driver. T/S's are nearly identical (you can get such variation by having different build houses build the same speaker or simply sampling the same driver twice some times). The Exodus offering is a totally unique driver - not a "close" copy to any other driver. Also, Re is 6.5 Ohms, which means it's an 8 Ohm driver. Re is the DC resistance of the speaker. DC resistance is the LOWEST impedance that speaker will ever send to an amplifier. Nominal impedance is rated at 8 Ohms, because that's what a 6.5 Ohm Re speaker is.

And +1 to what Robert said about your amplifier running cooler, drawing less current, and how IB applications don't require hardly any power.