Sponsored by:

What Did I Do Wrong??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-08, 08:39 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What Did I Do Wrong??

I have a 1500 watt alpine type r subwoofer a 1000 watt alpine mrp-1000 amplifier. Yesterday after the car wash I had no bass took it over to a friend and my amp was dead. I went to abt got a replacement amp. Everything worked fine(theyre was a odd burning smell). Now it doesent work anymore!! What did I do wrong, am I having bad luck with the amp? please help!!
Old 09-22-08, 09:10 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the ohm load on the speaker. it may be too low for the amp... either that or you need a bigger amp for what you're trying to do. turn down the gain if you want the amp to last...
Old 09-22-08, 10:52 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

check wiring, check for liquid going to wherever your amp is located, read the print on your woofer and amp box...Type-R's are not 1500watts even in it's own dreams.
Old 09-23-08, 06:43 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 88supramki
check wiring, check for liquid going to wherever your amp is located, read the print on your woofer and amp box...Type-R's are not 1500watts even in it's own dreams.
peak is 1500 rms is 500
Old 09-24-08, 07:20 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

turns out my woofer was blown, i had abt's 4 year replacement plan so i go a new one for free no questions asked and bough warrenty on the new woofer as well cost me 25 dollas.
Old 09-24-08, 12:51 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

what deck do you have? try to keep the signal input into the amp as high as possible. this will allow you to turn down the gain on the amp. when the gain is really high up it is easier to cause distortion.

that amp should work fine with a type-r. you dont have bad luck. you just need someone to tune it correctly for you. turning all the ***** on the amp all the way doesnt make it "sound best". lol. i heard that excuse before.
Old 09-24-08, 01:25 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
what deck do you have? try to keep the signal input into the amp as high as possible. this will allow you to turn down the gain on the amp. when the gain is really high up it is easier to cause distortion.

that amp should work fine with a type-r. you dont have bad luck. you just need someone to tune it correctly for you. turning all the ***** on the amp all the way doesnt make it "sound best". lol. i heard that excuse before.
the reason I think I blew the sub, is because I made holes in the box it souned like poop w/o the holes so i thought the holes would help. lol i got a much better box no need for holes and imo and my friends opinions are that it sounds fantastic
Old 09-24-08, 01:26 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

stock headunit, no headunits for the gen 2 IS no one makes any that fit nice if they did I would be on it.
Old 09-25-08, 12:47 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
the reason I think I blew the sub, is because I made holes in the box it souned like poop w/o the holes so i thought the holes would help.
Making holes in the box is not the correct way to build a ported enclosure. For future reference, here is the proper way to determine the port size and length for the tuning frequency that you choose - link.

Your "holes in the box" method probably tuned the box way too high. When you play material below the enclosure's tuning frequency, the driver unloads. You can easily push it past its mechanical limits with very little power.

-Robert