Sponsored by:

2008 ES 350 - Aftermarket System Info

Old 09-11-08, 08:42 AM
DimitriR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 ES 350 - Aftermarket System Info

Hi guys-- I'm new here

I just bought a brand new 2008 ES 350 about a week and a half ago. I've been trolling around the forums here for the past few days, and I haven't found a lot of information pertaining to the newer ES 350s when it comes to aftermarket set-ups.

I opted NOT to get the "upgraded" ML system since I felt the $3k could be better spent on aftermarket stuff--especially since I already own a 5 channel MRV-F357 Alpine amp and a Boston 12" sub in a sealed box that I am extremely happy with-- I also have 4 speakers from my old car, but I'm not counting on being able to re-use those.

Anyway, I'm looking for information about upgrading the factory stuff:

1. I think this is a "NO", but there was someone on another site that suggested there were pre-outs somewhere in the factory system. Are there any pre-outs that I can use?

2. Assuming #1 is a NO (which is what I think), I've heard/read quite a bit about the JL CleanSweep, but does anyone have any experience with the Alpine PXE-H650 in a newer Lexus vehicle?

3. I was a little mis-led by sales, but I was lead to believe that I could play DVDs in this car-- turns out that is true only if you have the ML system. What are my options when it comes to watching DVDs on the in-dash screen? Are there any video inputs back there that I can use? I think I can get what I want if I can somehow end up with a 6 disc DVD changer instead of the 6 disc CD changer in my dash, but I don't know if that's all there is to it?

4. Does someone know exactly what size aftermarket speakers will fit in each of the existing speaker holes? I counted 8-- 3 in the dash, 2 in the front doors, 2 in the rear doors, and 1 in the rear center.

5. Since I counted 8 speakers, are there *really* 8 channels? Or are some of them run in parallel off of the same channel(s)? The reason I ask is because it sounds like I would potentially need 2 CleanSweeps or PXE-H650 units to convert all the channels.

Any other info that you think I should know (along with answers to the above) would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-08, 09:27 AM
Trav@DICE
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DimitriR
Hi guys-- I'm new here

I just bought a brand new 2008 ES 350 about a week and a half ago. I've been trolling around the forums here for the past few days, and I haven't found a lot of information pertaining to the newer ES 350s when it comes to aftermarket set-ups.

I opted NOT to get the "upgraded" ML system since I felt the $3k could be better spent on aftermarket stuff--especially since I already own a 5 channel MRV-F357 Alpine amp and a Boston 12" sub in a sealed box that I am extremely happy with-- I also have 4 speakers from my old car, but I'm not counting on being able to re-use those.

Anyway, I'm looking for information about upgrading the factory stuff:

1. I think this is a "NO", but there was someone on another site that suggested there were pre-outs somewhere in the factory system. Are there any pre-outs that I can use?

2. Assuming #1 is a NO (which is what I think), I've heard/read quite a bit about the JL CleanSweep, but does anyone have any experience with the Alpine PXE-H650 in a newer Lexus vehicle?

3. I was a little mis-led by sales, but I was lead to believe that I could play DVDs in this car-- turns out that is true only if you have the ML system. What are my options when it comes to watching DVDs on the in-dash screen? Are there any video inputs back there that I can use? I think I can get what I want if I can somehow end up with a 6 disc DVD changer instead of the 6 disc CD changer in my dash, but I don't know if that's all there is to it?

4. Does someone know exactly what size aftermarket speakers will fit in each of the existing speaker holes? I counted 8-- 3 in the dash, 2 in the front doors, 2 in the rear doors, and 1 in the rear center.

5. Since I counted 8 speakers, are there *really* 8 channels? Or are some of them run in parallel off of the same channel(s)? The reason I ask is because it sounds like I would potentially need 2 CleanSweeps or PXE-H650 units to convert all the channels.

Any other info that you think I should know (along with answers to the above) would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey welcome to the foruum!!! There is alot of ways you can get some of your questions answered, and alot of different products to use.

1) No the factory radios do not have any kind of RCA Preouts on it.

2)I have used the Alpine PXEH650 a few times in different cars. The end results it came out and I ended up useing a DQL8 from Audio Control or a 3SIXTY.2 from Rockford Fosgate. Personaly I like the DQL8. Much better preout voltage signal into your amp.

3) First off I do not suggest watching DVD's while driveing!!!! There are others of us that are on the road at the same time. But no there is not any Video inputs on the back of the radio. As for having the in dash CD player start reading DVDs that isnt going to happen. You will have to replace the radio to get indash dvd. There is a company out there NAV-TV that makes BACKUP CAMERA INPUTS for factory navi screens. They work very well. You will need to use an audio input device like ours to get the audio into the radio. This will get you set up for an external video source.

4) For the speakers in the car you would want to consider a higher end 6.5" component system for the front doors, and then an ok 6.5" componet system for the rear.

5)Thats a good thing also with the DQL8 it takes all 8 chan. and sums them together to get a full range signal.

Good luck let me know if you have any other quetions on that car or any of the product that I talked about.
Old 09-11-08, 11:46 AM
DimitriR
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply--

I don't have an interest in (personally) watching DVDs while driving- it's for my daughter to watch while she's in the car with me. Trust me, I don't need to see "Finding Nemo" or "Care Bears" any more than I already have . It's obviously not incredibly important, but if it's not that hard to do, I would like to get it put in-- but why would I have to swap the whole radio, and not just the changer? Is there a different set of inputs on the other radio to handle the DVD changer?

As far as backup camera inputs, I have a backup camera in this vehicle. Will that affect my ability to add an additional set of inputs like you are talking about? Also, as far as the audio input, is that wired, or fm modulated? (FM modulation is totally out-- I would rather not have something than have something that's crappy).

Also about the speakers, you said 6.5"... Those are the circular variety as opposed to an oblong, 6x9 type, right? What about the speakers in the dash? Are they hard/not worth replacing? Size?

Thanks again.
Old 09-11-08, 12:31 PM
Trav@DICE
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DimitriR
Thanks for the reply--

I don't have an interest in (personally) watching DVDs while driving- it's for my daughter to watch while she's in the car with me. Trust me, I don't need to see "Finding Nemo" or "Care Bears" any more than I already have . It's obviously not incredibly important, but if it's not that hard to do, I would like to get it put in-- but why would I have to swap the whole radio, and not just the changer? Is there a different set of inputs on the other radio to handle the DVD changer?

As far as backup camera inputs, I have a backup camera in this vehicle. Will that affect my ability to add an additional set of inputs like you are talking about? Also, as far as the audio input, is that wired, or fm modulated? (FM modulation is totally out-- I would rather not have something than have something that's crappy).

Also about the speakers, you said 6.5"... Those are the circular variety as opposed to an oblong, 6x9 type, right? What about the speakers in the dash? Are they hard/not worth replacing? Size?

Thanks again.

LOL Come on Finding Nemo is a great show!!!! I can completely understand what you are saying there though.

They are a few (very few) DVD changers out there. Is your CD changer in dash or an external changer?

I am not sure if the NAV-TV piece would interfer with the factory backup camera or not. This piece is the only way I know of to get an extra video input into the screen.

Our kits are a direct plug into the factory radio. If will give you a direct input for your iPod and also has an extra 1/8" audio input to run the audio from the DVD system into it.

The speakers in the dash not even worth the time and or money to replace. I would do a 6.5" component system in the front. This comes with a seperate tweeter to put in the tweeter location.

I don't think that the rear is a 6X9 but if it is I still would recommend going with a 6.5" speaker. You will get a cleaner sound from a circle speaker. The 6X9 does give a little more bass, but not as clean of sound.