Sponsored by:

Sound proofing question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-08, 06:51 PM
osomoso
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sound proofing question.

We've all know about products such as Dyna-Mat and so on. The problem is weight. What other products are out there that may do the same thing, only lighter in weight.

Buddy has a '68 Mustang project. Was asking me today and thought I would throw it out there. Any help would be great.

Darren
Old 09-09-08, 08:08 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Soundproofing requires weight to dampen the panels. Same concept in home theater soundproofing where you use extra heavy drywall called Quiet Rock. The lower the weight, the less sound it will keep out. That's why SPL car audio competitors line the walls of their car with concrete. Except that is to keep the sound in. But it works both ways. It is probably extremely quiet when the stereo is turned off.

-Robert
Old 09-09-08, 08:44 AM
Trav@DICE
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by osomoso
We've all know about products such as Dyna-Mat and so on. The problem is weight. What other products are out there that may do the same thing, only lighter in weight.

Buddy has a '68 Mustang project. Was asking me today and thought I would throw it out there. Any help would be great.

Darren

I have always used Dynamat when I am doing my vehicles. Yes it does add some weight to the car. Dynamat does have one that is kinda of light weight. It does cost alittle more then their other stuff. It is called Dyaplate. I have only used this stuff once or twice. Most customers couldnt justify the price for it. But it is the solution if you are wanting to knock down the road noise inside the car and keep the car as light as possible.

I have done many cars with Dynamat. I have used other stuff and just didnt seem to cut it for me. The other stuff may have been a few bucks less but the issues that i had wasn't worth the savings. There was one brand that for some reason never wanted to stick to the metal. I cleaned the metal and everything and just did not want to stick.

Other materials were just so stiff to work with it made it so hard to apply. Me personaly I use the Extreme Dynamat in my personal cars, but if you want to run a little less weitgh get the Dynaplate.
Old 09-09-08, 04:42 PM
osomoso
Pole Position

Thanks for the rreply. I will get in touch with my buddy and let him know. He has posted on other similar forms, but within Mustangs and other muscle cars. I kindly suggested Dynamat when it was first put to my attention. My experiences with Dynamat over the years has been phenomenal. Just been a while since I have done any kind of work or upgrades to any of my vehicles.

All the best,
Darren
Old 09-12-08, 03:19 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Dynamat Extreme is much lighter than regular Dynamat.
The weight should not be an issue, it will only add a few pounds overall.
Try Second Skin, it is cheaper and the same material.
Old 09-15-08, 09:00 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Adding weight is basically how sound damping products work. By adding weight to a panel it increases the energy required to cause it to vibrate or rattle and thus lower the noise. It also helps alittle with sound proofing but for better results you should use the close cell foam sheets.

I can't find the link to comparison someone did on sound damping sheets. It was mainly focused on how well it performed in various environmental elements found in a car (extreme hot to extreme cold). Regular dynamat performed quite poor but the Extreme version came in the top 3 as well as Second Skin and as someone mentioned, is cheaper too.
Old 09-15-08, 09:25 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raammat! Its cheaper and butyl based.
Old 09-15-08, 05:56 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amen to Raammat search on Nasioc you'll get a discount with that code. ...
Old 09-15-08, 07:28 PM
osomoso
Pole Position

Thanks guys for all the input.