Stock stereo with RCA adapters to amps

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-08, 02:56 PM
tennisod
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock stereo with RCA adapters to amps

Hi all,
I apologize for any incorrect info that I can put as a new user in advance.
I purchased used 2004 Lexus GS 300 black on black, and once it washed today, I will post the pictures in my next message.
Please, help me with the issue I have. I want to keep the original stereo and use an adapter with RCA cables for the amps the will be connected to components and Sub-woofer. Do you know where I can get the information to connect this adapter through DIY, do I have to wire the cables manually or I can connect an adapter directly to the back side of the stereo itself?
What is the best place to put 2 amps for separates and woofer to save space?
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-08, 03:04 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

adding subs is pretty easy, your going to need either an amp which excepts 'hi level inputs' aka directly tapping your speakers or use a line out converter (between 10 and 20 bucks depending on where you pick one up).

i run a line out converter, to install it choose where your going to tap (what speakers) i tapped the stock sub. wire as instructed by your unit, plug rcas into unit and into amp and thats done takes not time and is very easy.

might as well run down the rest of the what to do, power from battery to amp there is a rubber grommet in the fire wall you can run 6 gage threw, its on the passenger side remove the battery and its easy to see.

ground i used the bolt that holds the seat belts in place in the rear seat.

remote turn on i wired to the fuse box with an add a circuit to the stock radio fuse location.
Old 09-02-08, 03:45 PM
tennisod
Driver School Candidate

It is very helpful. Thanks a lot.
Old 09-03-08, 11:02 AM
Trav@DICE
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tennisod
Hi all,
I apologize for any incorrect info that I can put as a new user in advance.
I purchased used 2004 Lexus GS 300 black on black, and once it washed today, I will post the pictures in my next message.
Please, help me with the issue I have. I want to keep the original stereo and use an adapter with RCA cables for the amps the will be connected to components and Sub-woofer. Do you know where I can get the information to connect this adapter through DIY, do I have to wire the cables manually or I can connect an adapter directly to the back side of the stereo itself?
What is the best place to put 2 amps for separates and woofer to save space?
Thanks in advance.
There are alot of line converters out there. The cheapy ones work, but if you are wanting to get better quality of audio I would recomend looking into the converts from Audio Control or Rockford Fosget.

As for me I like the Audio Control converters. It is also a line driver so you can up to 12 volts of signal into your amp. Useing the cheapy ones you get about 2 to 2.5 volts. With the stronger signal you will be able to get a cleaner audio signal into your amps.

Your audio is only as strong as your weakest link.
Old 09-04-08, 08:56 PM
tennisod
Driver School Candidate

What do think about this one: MTX Audio reQ-5?
What is the voltage on this one?
Thanks.
Old 09-05-08, 09:48 AM
Trav@DICE
Former Sponsor

What do think about this one: MTX Audio reQ-5?
What is the voltage on this one?
Thanks.

I know of the piece but I have never used it. I did a little digging for you for some info on that piece. From what I am seeing it does 2.5V RMS of signal for the front and rear, and 8V RMS for the sub output. Sounds to me it is kind of limited for what you are getting. Trying to look at the big pitcure of things the cheapy hi to low converts get you about 2V of signal. So you are really paying alot of money just to get the stronger signal for the bass side of things.

The AudioControl LC6 is the compairable model the the REQ-5. The LC6 does 9.5V RMS on all output channels. The piece that I personaly like and use is the EQS from AudioControl. It will do 13.5V RMS of signal into your amps. Also this one does have 7 bands of eq for the front and rear and 5 bands for you sub. This will allow you to have some control and be able to tune your car alittle bit more for some cleaner sound.

Both Audio Control pieces are adjustable to level match what your amps are ale to exept.

The big questions is what kind of sound do you want to have as a finished product?
Old 09-06-08, 11:29 AM
tennisod
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your help. I will stick with Audio Control, it seems like it has higher
preamp voltage. I have another question that relates to pioneer cd changer.
Since I want to keep my factory stereo system, do you know if there is Pioneer mp3 changer that I can replace with the factory one in order to have mp3 capability?
Thanks again.
Old 09-08-08, 09:08 AM
Trav@DICE
Former Sponsor

Thanks for your help. I will stick with Audio Control, it seems like it has higher
preamp voltage. I have another question that relates to pioneer cd changer.
Since I want to keep my factory stereo system, do you know if there is Pioneer mp3 changer that I can replace with the factory one in order to have mp3 capability?
Thanks again.
I have never seen a changer from Pioneer that will play MP3.