Sponsored by:

AfterMarket Car Audio Amp Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-08, 06:04 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AfterMarket Car Audio Amp Questions

I was installing my Eclipse 2Din 5500 headunit, and my friend's dad comes up and says why did you bypass the stock amp? you should have left it and amped my speakers with the stock amp. is that possbile? if so how come no one has done it ? he also said i can amp it twice by getting the aftermarket one and use that to amp the sound to the stock amp which should amp it even more. any thoughts audio experts?
Old 05-29-08, 06:36 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StanCe
I was installing my Eclipse 2Din 5500 headunit, and my friend's dad comes up and says why did you bypass the stock amp? you should have left it and amped my speakers with the stock amp. is that possbile? if so how come no one has done it ? he also said i can amp it twice by getting the aftermarket one and use that to amp the sound to the stock amp which should amp it even more. any thoughts audio experts?
Tell your friend's Dad to go back in the house and watch TV
I am sure there might be a way, but no one has taken the time to figure it out, so that's the reason why everyone has bypass the amp. The other reason is, aftermarket HU possible has more power than the amp for our mids and can usualy sound better. The only downside is you loose the sub and changer, However; there are ways to make them work with the HU.
FYI, using the double amp method Pops talked about is pointless, won't make speakers sound any better. I have seen people do that and there volume was jacked up, the volume would not work in low, from 10 down to 1 it would stay the same. The correct way to keep stock amps is by splicing RCA from the HU, but that will only work on some oem stereos like Bose, etc...
Old 05-29-08, 06:38 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StanCe
He also said i can amp it twice by getting the aftermarket one and use that to amp the sound to the stock amp which should amp it even more. any thoughts audio experts?
That statement alone shows his ignorance. Obviously he doesn't have a clue.

#1. IF you wanted to do what he is saying by amping the system "twice" you would be taking a speaker level output from the aftermarket radio and feeding it to your factory amp. The using the output from your factory amp to drive the inputs of the aftermarket amp (assuming your using an aftermarket amp) which most people here with an aftermarket radio are.

Where to begin.....Ok, FIRST thing wrong with that idea is, your factory radio is sending out a pre-amp level signal to the factory amp, if you take a speaker level output from your aftermarket radio and feed it to the factory amp you are going to have much more distortion. Not to mention the fact your radio (assuming you have a quality radio with high voltage outs) will go from quiet to loud in about 3 clicks of the dial. Ok, so you want to use the old installer trick of cutting some rca's and hooking them up to the amp for a preamp signal. Yes, you can go this route, you will still be using your factory amplifier that has more distortion than the outputs on your Eclipse built in amp but it could be done.

SECONDLY, IF you decided to rig your radio using the Rca method above you would be converting that nice clean pre-amp signal from your eclipse back to the crappy output of your factory amp which is just adding more distortion to your signal before going to your aftermarket amp. Not to mention the fact you would have to convert the speaker level outputs of your factory amp back into rca outputs to go into your aftermarket amp.

Ultimately, you would be taking a nice clean signal, adding a bunch of distortion to it from a crappy factory amplifier, then feeding it into your aftermarket amplifier or directly to your speakers if your not using an amp. I wouldn't listen to ANYTHING that guy has to say about car audio. Just smile and nod and act like you care.