Sponsored by:

What Sub To Get For My GS? *FREE AIR*

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-08, 02:45 PM
charmz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Sub To Get For My GS? *FREE AIR*

I want to replace the factory sub with a upgraded free air sub that will fit into the oem decklid hole.

Anyone know of what makes/models that have worked in the past?
Was there deck lid modification needed?
Did you have to re-enforce the deck lid?

Open to suggestions........

*MUST BE FREE AIR SUBWOOFER*
Old 04-15-08, 11:52 PM
nawls400
Rookie

Depends if you want it to slam hard or you just need a better bass sound...My 10" Kicker Comp (150W RMS, 300 peak) hit svery nice when I want it to and it's not free air, but is in the back of my ls400 where the old 8" woofer was (i have it custom cut and mounted). I mean it gives me a light back masssage still, lol, I have a 200W amp too. I'm sure you could get away with a non free-air sub, as long as you have the front of the sub sealed off from the back of the sub. If you don't like it you could always take it back (I would hope) if it's not strong enough.
Old 04-16-08, 11:02 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

We have covered this a bunch of times. Free-air is just a sub sitting in the open. Makes very little bass because there is nothing to keep the front wave from interacting with the rear wave. Infinite baffle installations separate the front wave from the rear by using a baffle like the deck or a large board mounted behind the rear seat.

Subs that have the 'free-air' or 'IB' label attached to them are just marketing. Some don't work very well. Other subs that don't carry this label will work just fine. You want a sub with a Qts at least .4 or higher. .707 would be perfect. You want an Fs around 30hz. I would go as high as 35 hz or go as low as possible if you are a bass nut. Xmax must be at least 15mm (my personal lower limit). Since IB installs don't have a box to control the motion of the cone, you must have enough stroke to keep from destroying the sub. The TC Sounds TC-7 was probably the perfect IB sub. Too bad TC Sounds is now in bankruptcy proceedings.

Elemental Designs has some drivers that work well in IB installs. Cerwin Vega V-Max series have great looking specs and the older models were GREAT. I'm not very familiar with the newer V-Max line. Just browse different sites and look at the T/S specs on the subs. If you find a sub that doesn't have T/S specs, then don't consider it. If a company isn't proud enough to publish the specs of their speakers, then they are hiding something.

-Robert
Old 04-16-08, 03:30 PM
charmz
Lead Lap

I am not looking for anything crazy. I prefer a sealed box sound over a ported box (but this will be free air). Because the installation of an aftermarket head unit I lost the function of my factory sub (its impossible to retain factory sub/amp with aftermarket head unit). So right now I have absolutly no bass at all

All im looking for is a little bit of crisp clean bass that will be powered by my old Rockford Fosgate Punch 201s (bridged).
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...ures_and_specs

Any suggestions on Make/Models of subs that may work well?
Sorry guys im not very knowledgable on car audio.

Last edited by charmz; 04-16-08 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-16-08, 05:17 PM
charmz
Lead Lap

I found this...

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=611

Im confused as to what sub comes with this kit if any ???
Will my amp be sufficient to power this ???

Thanks
Old 04-16-08, 07:52 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by charmz
I am not looking for anything crazy. I prefer a sealed box sound over a ported box (but this will be free air).
Infinite baffle is really just a large, sealed box. So large the the box does not color the sound coming from the sub.

Originally Posted by charmz
Any suggestions on Make/Models of subs that may work well?
Budget? I've looked at subs costing from $20 to $2,000.

-Robert
Old 04-16-08, 07:58 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I would assume the 11Kv.2 comes with the kit since it is in every picture. Nice sub but the Qts is a little low. The very low end of the spectrum (under 30hz) may be a little on the heavy side. But an EQ can clear that up.

The Haxo LXU10 will make a better IB sub according to the specs. Plus it is an underhung design which is inherently lower distortion. And the BL is lower. A high BL is a waste of motor power. Kind of like driving your NASCAR to the grocery store.

-Robert
Old 04-17-08, 07:53 AM
charmz
Lead Lap

The stage 2 kit comes with the 11Ov.2 Subwoofer. I really like the simplicity of the "bolt-on" factor of this package. I would rather not have to modify anything.

How will this subwoofer work with the amp I will be using?
Im confused about all this 4 ohm and dual voice coil stuff.

Thanks alot for your time Robert.

Last edited by charmz; 04-17-08 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-17-08, 10:10 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

If it comes with the 11Ov.2, that is a better and more IB appropriate driver than the K series. I'd still ask one of the guys at ED about using the LXU10 though.

Your amp produces the most power when when driving a 2 ohm load in stereo or a 4 ohm load when bridged. So, if you are going to bridge the amp to drive your sub, then you want a 4 ohm load like the LXU10 (single 4 ohm voice coil) or a dual 2 ohm voice coil 11Ov.2. You would wire the voice coils of the 11Ov.2 in series for a final impedance of 4 ohms.

-Robert
Old 04-17-08, 01:00 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Robert,

You're really getting on my nerves with how much you know about this stuff.

Gotta give you props for the wealth of knowledge you've been spreading in this forum to date. When the new round of mods are appointed your name should definitely be in the mix. Great job.
Old 04-17-08, 01:51 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
You're really getting on my nerves with how much you know about this stuff.
It's just a hobby that my wife calls an obsession. As I look around my home office, I see four 18", four 12" and three 10" subs. And six motor structures so I can build more from scratch. If she brings up anything, I just remind her that SHE drives the ES-350.

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Gotta give you props for the wealth of knowledge you've been spreading in this forum to date. When the new round of mods are appointed your name should definitely be in the mix. Great job.
I'd like to be a mod but my forum time is sporadic due to work. But it is nice to be considered.

-Robert
Old 04-19-08, 09:37 AM
handoverfi
Pole Position

im perhaps going to be flamed for asking such a question but has anyone ever used the old e12a in a IB set up? i dont think it was designed to be used for an IB set up but i was kind of curious if its possible????
Old 04-19-08, 08:17 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

According to the specs, the E12A.22 would make a good IB sub. I had one for a little while and ran it sealed. I have also used its cousin the RL-p 12.

Interesting that you should ask about the E12A. The motor structures for the four 18's I mentioned earlier, the motor for the custom sub that I built and two of the six extra motors that I have all came from TC Sounds. All had Elemental Designs E12A stickers on the side of the magnets.

-Robert
Old 04-19-08, 08:19 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by handoverfi
im perhaps going to be flamed for asking such a question but has anyone ever used the old e12a in a IB set up? i dont think it was designed to be used for an IB set up but i was kind of curious if its possible????
How old of an E12A are we talking? Elemental design had multiple generations of A-series. The first and second generation A-series didn't fare too well in an infinite baffle setup. They were more geared towards sealed boxes. I dont know about the current generation so I can't speak on behalf of it.
Old 04-20-08, 06:12 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
How old of an E12A are we talking? Elemental design had multiple generations of A-series. The first and second generation A-series didn't fare too well in an infinite baffle setup. They were more geared towards sealed boxes. I dont know about the current generation so I can't speak on behalf of it.
i had a flat cone it busted in a sealed box. then they discontinued the flat cone ones and made a limited production of the e12a with the white ed cone on it. i got the limited production e12a. i think its a DVC sub!

i had my flat cone run superb in a sealed box. it was awesome i can begin to describe my experience with that sub!! so nice!

Quick Reply: What Sub To Get For My GS? *FREE AIR*