Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Removal of Rear Seat, Install of Amp -- Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-02, 12:21 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great thread! Some very helpful information! Thanks!
Old 02-03-02, 02:45 AM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

here's the pictures from today w/ an explanation for each pic under it
My pics are basically a continuation of SupraCoup3's pics. The first pic is the one he said to be "wicked careful" on
http://community.webshots.com/album/30530666hJdRMKKCdm

Ok, I found an amp underneath the stock cd changer in the trunk, but I don't know if it's for the whole system, or just for the sub because I haven't checked it yet. does anyone know?

Also, does anyone know how to take out the pocket underneath the center console armrest? I want to run the wire for the LPL44 through there. I might run it somewhere else.

Does anyone know if it's safe to mount the amp on top of the gas tank? I'm going to secure it to a piece of MDF obviously, but is it safe to have an electronic device so close to the gas tank?

Oops, another question. Does anyone have any info on how to remove the stock deck? I'm just curious how to do it. Maybe some crutchfield master sheets or something?

Well, I'll try to take more pics tomorrow. I planned to finish it today, but not knowing the car slowed me down a LOT

Last edited by DuB; 02-03-02 at 02:55 AM.
Old 02-03-02, 02:53 AM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally posted by Taka
I just checked my rear speakers, I dont know how to express but they are out of shape. I'll post pics later.

So now I need to replace them but what should I get? high quality 2-ways (coaxials)? components? if so, where do you install tweeters?
I'm not planning to get new amps, I prefer to use stock one.

I have MB Q, q series as front stage, should I get same brand or it doesn't matter?

For sub, I dont know if I'm going to replace it yet.
I wasn't impressed at ALL w/ the rear speakers on the Nakamichi sound system. They're paper/plastic(?) cones w/ whizzer paper tweets!! Seems like Toyota skimps on their stereo systems at every level. The "premium" sound system in my 4Runner was pathetic. The Mark Levinson better not be of this quality

Getting MB Quart rear speakers would be nice, but not necessary because it's only rearfill. If you get a component set over coaxials, you could always mount the tweet co-axially using a backstrap. We did this w/ SoundStream SPL components in my roommate's 4Runner. That's the simplest way to install them because you don't have to worry about cutting holes to mount the tweets, and a good plus is that the drivers are mounted co-axially, which is ideal for the best sound. Once again, it doesn't matter too much since it's rearfill

Last edited by DuB; 02-03-02 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-03-02, 05:05 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default one penny would have saved you that time DUB.

DuB, if you would have been willing to donate even one penny, you could have saved yourself all that time.

The layouts on my web site would have told you right away that the NAK system has a 5 channel amp, located under the cd player.

Check you PM, I decided to help you out.
Old 02-03-02, 01:34 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Taka
I just checked my rear speakers, I dont know how to express but they are out of shape. I'll post pics later.
here it is..
do you have any idea what happened to the speaker?
left: rear speaker
right: front speaker

both of my rear speaker was like that. that's why it was making rattle, static noise. good thing I found out.

If I get new speaker, do I need to replace stock amp?
Attached Thumbnails Removal of Rear Seat, Install of Amp -- Part 1-speaker.jpg  
Old 02-03-02, 02:12 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Default heat and uv

the foam surrounds deteriorated from the heat and uv in the back deck area. Encourage you to tint the rear window and also use a layer of thin black foam over the speaker to protect. Of course newer, better speakers are made of uv resistant polymers.

After the foam surround broke down, the speaker blew, so your tweater dome is gone.
Old 02-04-02, 07:33 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey moderators,

Lets make a section for projects like this. That way, FAQ's can be directed to the section, and no one has to search the site for specific threads.

We can just title them "How to access your sub" or "center console removal instructions", "How to re-solder your backlights on A/C" , etc.

Thoughts?
Old 02-04-02, 09:52 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up

Great idea!!!
Old 02-04-02, 09:58 AM
1BomexLex
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

woo hoo
thanks for the help
but what year is ur car
cause i think in the 93s the amp is in the trunk
not under the back deck
Old 02-04-02, 10:16 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Arrow yes, amp is in trunk

Ok, just so we have it in one place. There are three systems you may find in the early SC coupe. I do not know if this changed in the 97/98 year.

Stock system, No Cd changer, Speakers powered by head unit, sub amp located in cd changer location (trunk, pass wheel well) Same sub amp as in Premium Sound.

'Premium Sound' System. 12 disk changer in trunk, 4 channel amp below cd changer, sub amp between sub and pass speaker in rear deck. Can see amp from trunk area - protruding aluminum box about the size of a man's hand.

Nakamichi system, 12 disk changer in trunk, 5 channel amp below cd changer.

The cd changer in both cases is identical, made by Pioneer. The sub amp and premium sound amps are definatly Pioneer. The Nak system 5 channel amp more than likely is Pioneer, but I have not verified.
Old 02-04-02, 11:21 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Surrounds can be sealed to prevent rot. Any substitutes for the Nakamichi speakers?

Great thread, guys. SupraCoup3 and DuB, that was nice of you two to take the time to photograph the whole process and DuB, you certainly MUST have been pressed for time if you bandaged your finger with ELECTRICAL TAPE!

It sure is a bummer to remove an old speaker and see the rotted foam surround, which happens to my indoor speakers, too. Whenever I buy a new speaker, I usually take some DOW CORNING® RTV SILICONE SEALANT and spread it lightly over the entire exposed foam surround - that seals that side from the air and makes the foam last much longer. The only drawback is the RTV is too thick to be applied with a brush, so it is hard to get a smooth, attractive surface (of course, hidden by the grille, who cares?). Also, the addition of RTV will slightly thicken / stiffen the foam, altering the Q and VAS (or something like that) properties of the speaker and theoretically affecting its sound. But in my experience it is not altered to the point I can hear it, and besides, a rotted surround sounds MUCH worse! My priority is to make the speaker last as long as possible. I emailed DOW CORNING® on this issue and got a very long and technical response. If any one is interested let me know and I'll post it on the electrical/audio forum.

Which brings me to my question: Because of the above issue, I need to replace the rear side (4", right?) Nakamichi speaker of my 92 SC400. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement speaker? I understand the complication is that the Nakamichi system is 2 ohm, and most speakers are 4 or 8 ohms.

UPDATE TO THIS POST: I am starting to hear from other CLUBLEXUS members that the Nak may well indeed be a 4-ohm system. Sorry if I got my facts wrong, but I could have sworn I saw a discussion on this a few months back where the Nakamichi system was said to be 2 ohms. Unfortunately, older discussions don't seem to be accessable anymore, so I can't check it.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 02-07-02 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-04-02, 11:33 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

PERRYinLA :
I think it is 4 ohms., I just checked the back of my rotted speaker(NAK system), it says 4 ohms.. and it is 4"
Old 02-04-02, 04:19 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Any ideas on where to "stuff" two 12s out of sight? My current situation occupies 80% of my trunk and makes access to the spare a pain. Anyone here tried molding two boxes into the corners of the trunk? I've seen one idea in our car where someone used the opening for the rear dash 10-inch as a giant bandpass port. I can imagine how hard that'd slam.
Attached Thumbnails Removal of Rear Seat, Install of Amp -- Part 1-trunkright.jpg  
Old 02-04-02, 04:25 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

While I'm at it, I removed the 10-inch Nak sub hopefully to increase airspace in the trunk and lessen the rattling before my Dynamat order arrives. The grill that covers this hole clips into the baffle of the 10-inch sub, without it, the grill shifts back and forth freely on the dash. Anyone know how to remove the 10-inch Nak from the plastic diaphragm so that I can have that grill secured? From what I can see, the sub is fixed pretty well to the diaphragm.
Attached Thumbnails Removal of Rear Seat, Install of Amp -- Part 1-nogrill.jpg  
Old 02-04-02, 07:02 PM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

WOW! Nice pics, SupraCoup3. Wish I had a digital camera when I was doing mine.

I moved the original 4-channel amplifier from its original place (mounted under the CD-changer) to the space immediately below the CD-changer. I then installed my Orion amplifier (12"x"10"x1.75" -- approximate measurements) where the 4-channel amplifier was. I had to remove the installation brackets though.

Quick Reply: Removal of Rear Seat, Install of Amp -- Part 1