Sponsored by:

CD error Nakamichi 12 disc changer 1996

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08, 05:50 PM
dantama
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD error Nakamichi 12 disc changer 1996

I have just purchased a 1996 SC400 with the Nakamichi 12 disk changer.

Today when I started it up it started playing disc 10 and I switched it to disc 11 or 12. I didn't start playing and the display said "disc error".

I tried to have it load another disk and it didn't have the error message, but wouldn't play either.

I tried to eject the whole changer and it wouldn't eject. I tried turning from cd to fm, turning the stereo off and on etc. and it still won't eject.

Before I slide the cover, the eject light is lit, when I slide the cover and try to eject it, it won't eject and when the cover is closed the eject light is now blinking.

I don't have an owners manual, so forgive me if this is a simple fix that is listed in the manual.

How do I eject the changer now, and any ideas on why the error message come up to begin with?
Old 02-22-08, 06:12 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This is totally a guess, I have no experience with the exact problem you speak of.. Someone will I'm sure.

I would start by removing all the electrical behind the changer itself (if reasonably accessible). Then plugging it back in. It probably won't help a thing but might give it a hard reset of some sort.

Sounds like it is 'stuck' in a mode. Hopefully there aren't any mechanical arms stuck in position causing it not to eject because it doesn't want to damage itself. With the light blinking I'm sure it is giving you some error that others will know what it means.

I would personally remove the power, and give the catridge a good jiggle to see if any mechanical arms will fall back into place, etc.

Hopefully there is some easy manner to get it eject (possibly a manual eject pin .. not sure). At worst you will have to remove the outer casing on the changer and get into the guts of it and get it to eject the catridge that way. Then look it over to see what may have caused this 'lock up' to begin with.

Good luck with it.
Old 02-22-08, 06:28 PM
dantama
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply, and after reading some other posts, I'll add that all the discs are store bought, not burned.
Old 02-22-08, 06:52 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

No problem --

I am going to give you some tips from others regarding similar such problems.. the first is from an in-dash changer I believe:

So what I end up doing was take another CD. Press the eject button and while it's start making the noise like it's about to eject the disc, I would actually try and push in the CD I'm holding (but not all the way in). By doing so, it would trigger the changer to spit out the problem disc. In fact I did this twice, because I was stupid enough to reload the problem disc back in hoping it'll play but instead it gave me the same error.
Try holding on to the button.
This next tip comes from my theory of the hard reset -- (instead of the electrical behind the unit, just undo the battery cable for 10-15minutes.. probably easier anyway) Plus this will reset all computer settings as well *I would try this, as it is easy and won't damage anything*

Ours did this. I unplugged the battery cable for 15 minutes and it reset itself. The lost CD then came out. It was a standard store bought CD. It wasn't my idea.... I read it here or someplace else.
Just some info on the changer:

As far as not closing there is a tab on the inside of the door that presses on a toggle button. if that isnt pressed in, the system thinks door is open and wont close.
This one I'm not endorsing lol.. but thought I'd post it anyways:

Does it make sounds like it is tryng to edject? If yes, your answer would be to use brute force. Happened to my friend's ES. If you keep hitting that CD changer (part facing the floor) it will eventually come out. Don't do it if it is not even trying to eject.

Anyhow -- those are a few tips.. see what you come up with,.. I'll do some more researching and help you out if you are still stuck (no pun intended) in the coming days.

Take care,
Old 02-22-08, 07:18 PM
dantama
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your help. I'll try the battery one.

I have the 12 disk in the trunk btw
Old 02-23-08, 09:41 AM
dantama
Driver School Candidate

I got the 12 pac to eject by using a comb to hook a cd that was only half way back in, and slide it the rest of the way in.

I removed the cd that was stuck and loaded it back up.

Now any cd will load no problem, but none of them play. If I try to move between tracks, nothing plays and only the cd number shows up on the display, no track numbers.

Anyone have any suggestions now?