Sponsored by:

GS430 New School/Old Skule System

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-07, 07:26 PM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GS430 New School/Old Skule System

Just when I thought I was out ... SQ drags me back in.

Hi everyone I 'used' to dabble in car audio back in the early 90's. For a while I was more into performance over audio. Now I'm back into audio.

I want to improve on the SQ in my 2001 Lexus GS430. It currently has the OEM Pioneer system in it. The front passenger speaker is dying and the 10" sub is non-existent with the windows open. I'm going to bypass the OEM Amp and toss all the OEM speakers.

Here's the system I'm putting together for the car. It is a combination of some new equipment and some old skule stuff.

Pioneer AVIC-D3
• Siruis Module
• Bluetooth Module
• Ipod cable

Soundstream Granite 180.6

• Fr 30w X 2 @ 4ohm
• Rr 30w X 2 @ 4ohm
• Sub 100w Bridged Mono @ 4ohm

Front Speakers
Boston Acoustics Rally RC51
5.25" Component
~ Peak Input 100w
~ Cont Input 50w
~ Sens 93dB
~ 4ohm
~ Freq Response 58-20,000 Hz

Rear Speakers
Polk Audio EX352
5.25" Coaxial
~ Peak Input 135w
~ Cont Input 45w
~ Sens 91dB
~ 4ohm
~ Freq Response 73-22,000 Hz

Subwoofer
Dual JL Audio 8" in a 3-Chamber Bandpass
I want to get a new sub that hangs from the rear parcel shelf to conserve trunkspace and minimize weight ANY ALL SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED

So my questions are .....

1. What gauge Amp connection kit should I get ? (I'm guessing 6ga or 4ga)

2. Should I get shielded RCA patch cables for the AVIC-D3 to Soundstream connections ? Can someone point me to a good online shop that sells them ?

3. Please suggest a Subwoofer. The less expensive the better. I plan to hang it from the rear shelf in the stock location. I'm thinking a small sealed box that won't rob me of too much trunkspace. I also want to be able to hear/feel it when driving with the windows/sunroof open (@ 80mph).

Thanks,

DaveC
Old 12-29-07, 08:07 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

1. For most people, I recommend them the Knukonceptz 4 gauge amp kit. Their 4 gauge has more strands than most other 4 gauge kits out there. Quality is great and the price is outstanding. I'm using their 0 gauge right now and I couldn't be happier. However, their 4 gauge amp kit seems to be out of stock right now.

2. For RCA, I would also recommend the same brand. I've been satisfied with it over the previous monster cable I had in my car.

http://knukonceptz.com/productMaster...0Interconnects

I have the Krystal version right now. I wouldn't bother with the Klarity or Karma. There is a big difference in quality. The eKs seems like an overkill though. Although I'm only using these cable to connect my processor and amps together, I have no noise at all.

3. Do you plan on having anything to support the sub box from the rear deck? I would not recommend hanging an aftermarket sub in place of the OEM sub. Our rear deck is simply too weak. You'll get unwanted vibration and cancellation. Been there done that. I took out my OEM sub and left the hole open so the bass would travel through the cabin more efficiently.

I know of many sub that will provide the bass you want, but they weigh a good amount. My current 12" sub weighs about 38-40lbs, but it's sitting in a 0.6 cubic feet sonotube enclosure that weighs 6lbs