Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

question on POI coverage of Navi system??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-02, 07:17 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question question on POI coverage of Navi system??

Although I'm not a current Lexus owner, I will be buying a GX 470 when it becomes available in January 2003, and after sampling the Navi system on my brother's 2001 RX 300, although I think it's excellent in it's overall execution, it greatly lacks in one area: Point-of-Interest coverage

On a related thread by "GS430_4me" (Navigation: DVD update) someone said the new ES 300, LS 430 and IS 300 had the new DVD with substantially better Point-of-Interest coverage. I was wondering if anyone knew if it is comprehensive like Acura's Navigation system (almost 5 million listings)......and IF NOT, when is Lexus going to update the DVD to include a FULL COMPREHENSIVE POI database??

Your responses are greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
Old 01-18-02, 10:55 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

vicpai:

Manufactury are design their cars and what goes on their cars are based on lots of informations ranging from customer base to marketing requirement. Maybe Acura are more emphasized on POI for their Nav, then Lexus are more emphasized with their over all performence. 2002 Lexus Nav system has updated a lot from 2001, not only the POI database, but more so on the fuctions like split screen for dual maps display, more routing options, etc. To Lexus, I don't think they feel just less POI is the issue for the mass majority Lexus owners will ever concern about, rather, how easy and convience about Nav. system and the integration of the system are more important than POIs. Besides, how do you really defind the POI, do you really want to reduced the searching efficiency just because the huge database that you have to deal with? Are that all the public shools really the POI? The bottom line is there is not really the standard for POI, just by how many really did not really represent the value of POI.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by hzhao; 01-18-02 at 10:57 AM.