Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Left front speaker failing - amp problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-07, 10:10 AM
nicknace
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left front speaker failing - amp problem?

I have a 98 GS 400 with the stock Naka sound system (which I like), but for the past 6 mo the drivers speaker has been going in and out. I now know it's not the speaker, as I've swapped out the entire assembly on that side twice.

I get a little sound out of that speaker set, so I don't think it's the wiring. It also doesn't matter which input (CD, tape, radio), so I don't think it's the head unit. I looked at the amp and it looks pristine - clean, dry, etc - but it must be the problem, right? I did a search and nothing conclusive came up.

If it is the amp, is there any aftermarket solution that will not involve cutting and splicing itno the existing wiring harnesses? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 11-11-07, 06:29 PM
nicknace
Driver

Default Nope

Bought a new used Naks amp, and the left fron tstill occasionally fades out for a while - usually after 45 minutes of playing or so - must be the head unit, huh? AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-26-07, 03:03 PM
nicknace
Driver

Originally Posted by nicknace
Bought a new used Naks amp, and the left fron tstill occasionally fades out for a while - usually after 45 minutes of playing or so - must be the head unit, huh? AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

No opinions? I hate the thought of replacing the head unit and having the same problem. What do you guys think this is?
Old 11-26-07, 04:25 PM
DoWnAqT
Driver

im currently having the same problem. When you replaced the amp with another one. Did that make it any better?
Old 11-27-07, 04:19 AM
nicknace
Driver

It certainly didn't fix it. With the prior amp, I was getting a crackling sound as well as low volume intermittently from the left front speaker. With this new amp, the volume from the left front speaker just fades to near nothing, typically after about 30 minutes of driving. That was up to yesterday. This morning it took much less time for the sound from the left front speaker to all but disappear.

What's strange is that it's the same speaker/channel that is failing - statistically not likely to be the same problem in two different amps, I would think... It definitely is not the speaker, however, that I've ruled out.
Old 11-27-07, 10:58 AM
Lexushead
Driver

I think it's the receiver power supply. I sent mine to a guy in Florida to get mine fixed. It's been a while and cost alot but retain the oem look.
Old 11-27-07, 04:45 PM
DoWnAqT
Driver

Im currently trying to figure out this mess. But im short on money so Im very limited to what I can do for swaps to see any improvments. Im a master tech and work for toyota so I can easily access all information on this car. But I have some other issuses im trying to take care of first. So from time to time I will try to figure it out as it happens. I can only figure it out when it happening. Since when its working, it isnt broken. But it happens quite often, so hopefully I will get to the bottem of this.
Old 11-28-07, 11:28 AM
nicknace
Driver

Thanks to both of you. Keep us appraised!
Old 11-29-07, 08:03 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Front Speaker

nicknace, DoWnAqT, Sounds like a blown speaker. The foam around the cone probably disintegrated thats what happened to my rear speakers, on my Sc '95. You will have to take down the door lining inorder to verify. Steps on taken down the door lining should be similar to the Sc model, read several posts from GS members or pay this site for the directions. Click on the link below

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109384
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155424
http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...sSC300FSpk.htm
Old 12-01-07, 08:17 AM
nicknace
Driver

Thanks, Teal, but... it's not a blown speaker, at least in my case. I've replaced that speaker three times - my speakers are pristine. I've also replaced the crossover. If it were a wire issue, I would expect to hear nothing intermittently, but there is always some output from that speaker - albeit very low in volume and crackly. And it kind of fades in and out rather than just sudden on/off like I would expect with a bad connection. The bad power supply on the head unit is an intriguing possibility, but why would that affect only one channel? Certainly still sounds like it might be the amp to me. I'm almost so fed up as to pay an installer to just replace the whole frigging system with aftermarket. I just hate to lose the OEM look, and I love the sound of the NAK. Oh, well...
Old 12-01-07, 04:03 PM
90b16ed
Driver School Candidate

What's up man? I work at Ponaka Lexus in Chantilly VA. It's not going to be your amp. That would effect all speakers. What it sounds like is that your Headunit is tunning in and out with that one speaker. Did you check the resistance in that wire? Are any of you other speakers acting up, or fading out like this one?

Thanks, Don
Old 12-02-07, 07:14 AM
DoWnAqT
Driver

Mine is only the left front speaker. It with basically shuts off almost, it will still be working but crackling type of thing and very quiet compared to the rest that are operating fine. If you put the radio to the left front only and crank it up, it will sound like crap untill it reaches its "I like that spot" and then it all of a sudden change and sound great. its basically gives it a jump start and it will start playing normal again. Mine is the LF only, I noticed there are speaker wires running to the left front door, looks like the previous owner was trying to fix this problem and had no luck on my car. Nicknace seems to have the exact same problem as my car. When I go back to work on wedsday, Im going to call TAS and see if they have found anything with other cars. Seems like there are problems like this for alot of people. So hopefully they know a fix.
Old 12-02-07, 02:57 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a common problem for most of the Lexus lineup. I have Dynaudio speakers and the stock amp and HU. HU seems to "brain fart" at times and the front left speaker cuts out.

Absolutely zero wrong with the Dyns and the wiring. Seems as if the stock parts aren't up to snuff, especially after a few years.
Old 12-03-07, 05:49 AM
Lexushead
Driver

After looking back at my repair, it's the radio tuner. The tuner went bad.
Old 12-03-07, 05:57 AM
Lexushead
Driver

This is the place I sent my stereo to get fixed. http://www.carstereohelp.com/strlexus.htm
Mine was repaired back in 2002.

Quick Reply: Left front speaker failing - amp problem?