Sponsored by:

How to Reprogram your Valentine One

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-07, 02:04 AM
Racer X
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up How to Reprogram your Valentine One

Here's a link to a hard to find page on the V1 site that explains how to "reprogram" the V1.
Reprogram Valentine One
It's not in the owners manual. I've used it to set mine up so that it "false alarms" a whole lot less...
On line 1, I've disabled the X band entirely as it's an old frequency the police no longer use, at least not where I live, & that stops a ALOT of false alarms right there.
On line 4, I've also completely disabled laser detection as the laser waves never give any advance warning like radar does, it's too focused on one car at a time so by the time you hear the "laser" alert you are already being clocked, you'll only get an advance notice that you're about to be pulled over if your going too fast. I did seem to get false laser alerts once in a while and my old dash mounted Garmin navigation unit would also set off the laser alert I figured out.
I also set up the K band to remain silent unless the signal lasted for more than 30 seconds OR increased to more than four leds on the signal strength meter. The display still lights up to show a signal is being received, just no noise... With K band set up like this, the only time I have to listen to it is when I'm waiting at an intersection rather than driving right by it. Then, all those door sensors, infrared? alarm sensors and other goodies at local businesses that cause so many false alarms will cause it to finally beep but only when I'm not moving thru the area without delay.
I left the KA band alone because that's what the law mostly uses around here (central California) and KA hardly ever sounds off unless it's the real deal. I think most of the false KA signals I do occasionally receive are generated by other POS detectors in other peoples cars.

I've seen so many threads on quite a few forums about radar detectors and it seems the only people that think any other detector on the market might be better than the mighty Valentine One are the folks that have not had the privilege of using one for an extended trial period. Well there was one poster on the IS second generation forum just recently that complained that the V1 false alarmed too much, that was what inspired me to write this thread. I tried a few others before plunking down the $400.00 for the V1 and it just helped me to appreciate the V1 all the more. I bought one for each car, I couldn’t stand the thought of forgetting to switch it into the car I might be driving on a particular day and the getting a ticket on the day I forgot!
I bought my fiancé (now ex-wife) one for our first Valentines day together, the 4th V1!

I also want to say a couple things about radar detectors in general that some people don't realize.

1. NO radar detector can save you from "instant on radar" unless you receive the on/off signal as the radar device is being used on other vehicles first (usually ahead of you) and react accordingly.

2. Radar detectors detect radar guns when they are within a certain range of one being used, they don't detect cop cars! (I've been asked, how come your detector isn't reacting to that cop car right there?)

I hope this post (the reprogramming link) helps some fellow V1 owners to appreciate their units even more, I myself never knew about the reprogramming possibilities until an acquaintance clued me in.

Regards,
Ron