Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Has anyone succeed with E7009 Navigation unit using 5.1/6.1 Hybrid DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-07, 01:51 AM
Slexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone succeed with E7009 Navigation unit using 5.1/6.1 Hybrid DVD?

I am wonder if any one has E7009 Solara 5th gen Navigation unit works with this overdrive below?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Sonartech
I have a '07 RX-350. The wife has a spiffy new '07 ES-350. The RX shipped with a version 5.1 Map DVD. The ES shipped with a version 6.1 Map DVD, even though it was only 2 months newer. In addition to newer road and POI data, there are some significant firmware changes as well.

There's a file on each DVD called "Loading.KWI" which is essentially the entire firmware for the Navigation system. The v5.1 Loading.KWI for my RX-350 is 45.8 megs. The v6.1 Loading.KWI for the ES-350 is 70.0MB. Quite a big difference in size for two cars with nearly identical 5th Gen Nav Systems. 25 megs fatter? For what, I wonder? Climate control commands for the ES-350 that don't work in my RX-350 even though the damn owner's manual says they do? Hmmmm....

Here's the point, though: The Nav Override (aka "Over Ride") that you get to via the Volume menu doesn't work on the v6.1 system. It works on all v5.1 system's (USA) that I've seen, however. So Denso dicked with the activation sequence (or deleted it entirely) for the newer firmware. Since I have both DVD's right here in front of me, I dumped both ANSI and UNICODE strings out of the v5.1 file and the v6.1 Loading.KWI file. The text that can be found in the v5.1 Nav Override menu still exists in the v6.1 firmware file, we just need to figure out how to get to it. Sure, it's possible they removed the hook to that particular menu system and just left the code there, but it's also possible they re-mapped the entry for it. Unfortunately, I haven't figured it out yet.

The other concern I had was regarding the map data vs. the firmware update (loading.kwi file). I wanted the new road data and POI updates from the v6.1 Map DVD, but I didn't want to take a chance of flashing my "Overridable" v5.1 firmware with my wife's v6.1 firmware which doesn't allow the override. The solution is to create a DVD-R that has all new v6.1 files EXCEPT the loading.KWI file which you replace with your older, v5.1 loading.kwi file. I made this DVD tonight and it's working great in the RX-350. It displays v6.1 map and POI data, but I still have my nav override capability.

So my remaining questions are these:
  • Do these Denso-based Nav systems automatically update their own firmware when they see a higher incremental update, or does the service department have to instantiate this process manually? What file(s) get looked at for version information? Version.txt, or the actual loading.KWI file itself?
  • If the process is automatic, wouldn't it be possible to change the version.txt file to "v6.11" for example and actually put a v5.1 loading.kwi file on the DVD? Would the Nav system replace the un-overridable code with the older code the does support Nav override?
  • Is there a diagnostic menu item somewhere that forces a firmware reload from the Map DVD regardless of the version?

Obviously, I'm not real interested in finding out that it's a "one-way road" for updating the Nav firmware at the expense of losing my RX-350 override. It's much "safer" to try and make the ES-350 eat the old v5.1 firmware.

Going forward, it would be most helpful if everyone indicated what version of software they're using so we can eliminate confusion like "why this works on this ES-350 but not that one" and the like. People are scratching their heads unnecessarily trying to figure out what they're doing wrong when the software's actually the problem, not the person or the procedure.

Regarding the Phone-book entries. For the RX-350, the Nav Override doesn't affect those options. They are controlled via a separate speed sense line to the multi-display. Instead of cutting the wire out of the jack as suggested in many places, I opted to just remove the pin from the socket so I could replace it later. I just put the removed pin in a bit of heat-shrink tubing and that was that. What you gain is the ability to play with the calendar and dial numbers from the display in motion. What you'll lose is the direct switch to the speed dial display when you press the steering wheel off-hook button. You'll have the press "Speed Dial" to get to that display option now. A small price to pay, I suppose, for the ability to use all the features in motion.

I would also like to state and confirm for the record that Lexus service personnel DO know about the Volume screen Nav Override hack - but they've been told very strongly "not to share that information with the customer." I also know that the same person I spoke with was sincere when he told me he wasn't aware that it had been removed / editied from the v6.1 NavDVD firmware.... so either they haven't been trained on it yet, or it's really, really been removed... which would seriously SUCK! Also, there's no TSB or anything on TechInfo regarding the Nav Override. How'd these guys get told about it? My guess is there's another vector for information release outside of what we, the disgustingly rich public which has to put up with the B.S. lock-outs, can access. Anyone have any ideas? Has anyone actually ever seen an official Lexus guide that mentions this bloody override?

<yawn>

That's my brain dump for now. My quest continues to find out where Denso moved the infamous Override...

ps: If you're a Denso developer reading this message and you're involved in the process of creating these Nav updates, EAT MY SHORTS, Pinhead! I don't tell you how to write code, so don't tell ME how to use my equipment! Remember who's paying the money to keep your stupid %!^@% employed! Now get off your dead stump and fix my RX-350 climate control voice commands!

Yours in sickness and in health,

SonarTech