Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Speaker Install SC430

Old 09-13-07, 09:20 PM
jh1225
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would a JL 8WL fit for the sub? It needs almost 7 inches for depth.
Old 09-13-07, 10:12 PM
dusouth
Pole Position

excellent write up!!!!!
Old 09-25-07, 06:27 PM
Lapraka
Driver

Question: How does the amp turn on/of. Please explain when you got a chance. I'm almost ready to install my stuff just need this final clarification.

PS i love your thread!
Old 09-25-07, 08:31 PM
phy
Driver

Originally Posted by Lapraka
Question: How does the amp turn on/of. Please explain when you got a chance. I'm almost ready to install my stuff just need this final clarification.

PS i love your thread!
The remote turn on from the Headunit, every headunit has one. Even the stock ones. It's usually a blue cable, it sends power only when the headunit is turned on.
Old 09-25-07, 08:36 PM
phy
Driver

Ahh I read thro some of his posts. I guess the acc/remote turn on wire is grey

gray 12+ volt acc line for sub amp
Old 09-25-07, 10:07 PM
Lapraka
Driver

Dee Dee Dee. Missed that! Thanks phy...
Old 10-03-07, 04:10 PM
Cheerwino
Driver School Candidate

Awesome post! I hope this will save me big bucks. My wife's new used 02 SC 430 has blown 6 x 9 woofers and sub. I just spent a few hours taking the car apart and, thanks to the info from this post, putting it back together (mostly). Surprised it didn't require much cussin' at all.

The only problem I had was trying to get the back rear panels off covering the rear speakers. It didn't want to come off from the area near the headrest and I just couldn't figure out what the little drawing was telling me to do or figure out how it was attached. Those rear speakers sounded okay, so I just left them in. This is the first time I have done anything like this, though. If it can be fixed with paint and spackle, I'm okay. Car repair makes me a bit nervous.

I hope to send the speakers off to be refoamed at www.speakerdoctor.com at about $25 each. There doesn't seem to be a drop-in replacement for the 6x9 and I just don't feel confident in my fabrication abilities to fit a 6 1/2" in there. There just doesn't seem to be a replacement for the 8" sub in 16 ohm, unless you rewire and add an amp as featured here. I'll see how my cheap route goes.

I have successfully refoamed my own speakers in the past but thought I'd let a pro look these over since installation is much more difficult than dropping it back in a home speaker cabinet. I'll let everyone know how it comes out.
Old 11-27-07, 12:21 PM
ZGone
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pictures Back UP

No thanks to Comcast, I was able to get the pictures to load again.

Cheers,
ZGone
Old 12-30-07, 01:59 PM
pctsc430
Driver School Candidate

Default speaker dilemna

i took the plunge, removed door panels and 6x9 ML speakers. surprisingly, popping out opener lever on 1st door took the best of me (cussing!)! also broke 1 plastic clip on 2nd. didn't heed ZGone's advice to be careful!

as feared, surround foam on 6x9 speakers had seperated from the rim. driver side 100% separated. passenger side 50%.

Speaker dilemna: after 1 week of searching, I just couldn't find any 8 ohms 6x9 spkrs! absolutely none! plenty of 4 ohm choices though. frankly i gave up searching for 8 ohm 6x9. Now I have 3 alternatives to choose from.

alt-1: use 4 ohm spkrs, hoping the ML amp can drive w/o major problem.
alt-2: use 4 ohm spkrs and soder 4 ohm resistor
alt-3: repair the ML spkrs. a member had suggested speakerdoctor.com for $25 each. another used silicone glue to reattach the foam.

all 3 alternatives beg more questions!

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on these alternatives.

thanks & happy new year

blown 6x9 ML speakerSpeaker Install SC430-tvt_0216-large-.jpg

Last edited by pctsc430; 01-01-08 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-01-08, 07:13 PM
pctsc430
Driver School Candidate

First: i want to thank ZGone for this post. It is an excellent post, without it there is no way I could take on this project! also want to thank others who have contributed.

now the end of my project:

i took alt-3: repair 6x9 speakers using silicone sealant. actually i took the tip from key1 http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...509&hl=speaker. in the process, i looked at http://eminence-speakers.com/ (lots of spkr choices here) and http://www.speakerrepair.com/instructions.html (how to repair etc...).

I repaired both front door 6x9 using flexible silicone sealant ($4.99 3 oz tube). i reinstalled all and waited 24 hours for the sealant to cure. Today, i tested the sound: more wthan happy with the results, very good bass, no more rattling of blown speakers. i pushed up the volume and bass to +5.

this morning, my kid pointed out that the back seat sub-woofer rattles. i opened the trunk to listen carefully, and sure enough, it is blown too!

so, again i followed ZGone's instructions etc ... took the 20cm sub-woofer out. again repaired it using silicone sealant. reinstalled everything. not patient enough to wait for 24 hour silicone curing period, I tested the sound a little. all i can tell is the bass came through and the rattling gone. will do full sound test tomorrow.
--
Thanks again ZGone.
Old 01-11-08, 07:29 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Zgone, great info! Pictures are not showing though.... maybe you can email them to me... I'm afraid to open it up without looking at the pics first.. thanks
Old 01-24-08, 07:49 PM
pctsc430
Driver School Candidate

whitels: use Firefox browser, pictures will show up.
Old 01-25-08, 07:10 PM
DRK65
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whitels
Hi Zgone, great info! Pictures are not showing though.... maybe you can email them to me... I'm afraid to open it up without looking at the pics first.. thanks
I am in the same "boat" (or SC430) here... The write up looks great, but the pics are GONE. Any possibility of reposting them or e-mailing them? Thanks very much!
Old 01-25-08, 09:54 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pctsc430
whitels: use Firefox browser, pictures will show up.
Yes-- thank you!!! Firefox can show the pictures and I can see them now.
Old 01-31-08, 06:48 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Same problem for me too

I followed the instructions that ZGONE gave and that was a very simple removal process. Thanks for this great detailed post. I did a home remedy solution to fix my 6x9 speaker separation problem. I used some Gasker Sealer. I let it dry for 24 hours and re-installed. It works like new. Well, maybe not like new, but the buzzing is gone and I am enjoying my music once again.

Thanks again for keeping the photos online.
Attached Thumbnails Speaker Install SC430-img_0796_sm.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speaker Install SC430