Sponsored by:

Speaker Install SC430

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-18, 09:17 AM
famewolf
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wlb009
After reading many blogs on this and other forums, I came up with an economical solution to replacing the door bass speakers. These speakers are 6x9 as I'm sure you know. But if you attempt to buy them your looking at $200.00 plus per, so I found a fantastic solution, I bought 5.25 8 ohm home speaker replacements and a 6x9 to 5.25 bracket converter, both on ebay. I scheduled a install appointment at my local Bestbuy and sure as the sun rises, these babies work beautifully. Total cost is $26.99 for both speakers, $16.00 for the brackets and $70.00 for Bestbuy's time. I'll post the pics of what I bought on e-bay. BTW the OEM 6x9 speakers are about as whimpy as they could be, the magnets on the speakers I used replace them are 3 times bigger. They sound very good, especially since the one's I had replaced were blown.

So it's been almost a year since you did this....are you still happy with the results? Anything you would do different? I've priced the brackets for $10(ebay) and the speakers for $12.90 each + $7 shipping from Parts Express. Best Buy's website indicates they do a speaker install for $40. I've got buzzing coming from the right side door. It only occurs when the song has alot of bass so reasonably certain it's the 6x9's. Someone in this thread mentioned using home audio speakers in the car can have bad results due to the temperature and weather experienced by the car so was curious.
Old 04-04-18, 08:02 PM
famewolf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kevmc
Well, the subwoofer finally went. I tried repairing the surround but apparently the bearing surfaces in the suspension wore unevenly as the speaker went bad and the repair didnt work. (I used the glue approach as mentioned elsewhere as a sanity check.) The cone would not smoothly move back and forth. So I looked around for a replacement.

I found this speaker on Amazon: Pyle PLPW8D 8-Inch 800 Watt Dual 4 Ohm Subwoofer. It costs less than the repair kit. At under $20 i decided to give it a try. It has dual 4 Ohm voice colis so I wired the coils in series to retain the 8 Ohm impedance. The Pyle speaker has a much more robust structure compared with the Levinson and a more massive magnet.

Install was easy - I pushed the old speaker out of the plastic mounting housing. The new speaker was a tight fit but it does fit. I left off the ring shown below. I cut off the connector wire at the old speaker and reused it. The plastic grill cover required a little trimming of the foam on the new speaker (or you can just compress the foam as you reattach the grill - which is what I did).

What a difference! This 8" speaker really moves. I can actually feel the bass in the driver seat. I've only used it for a couple weeks so far - will see how it lasts. The reviews on amazon are positive.
Are you still happy with this purchase? I'm going to be having the 6x9's replaced in near future and best buy's $70 speaker install seems to cover both the install of the door speakers as well as the subwoofer so I'm debating going ahead and ordering this as a replacement given the original speakers/woofer are 15 years old. Current price on amazon is around $16. Are you using the factory amp and if so did you have to do anything special beyond wiring the voice cones in series?

Last edited by famewolf; 04-04-18 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-04-18, 10:30 PM
moerbeck
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by famewolf
Are you still happy with this purchase? I'm going to be having the 6x9's replaced in near future and best buy's $70 speaker install seems to cover both the install of the door speakers as well as the subwoofer so I'm debating going ahead and ordering this as a replacement given the original speakers/woofer are 15 years old. Current price on amazon is around $16. Are you using the factory amp and if so did you have to do anything special beyond wiring the voice cones in series?
You should go with 8 ohm speakers for the doors, but they should not be 3-way speakers. find a small 6.5" woofer or a 6" woofer that they will be able to install by making a small MDF ring adapter. For the subwoofer, go with a dual voice coil 8ohm each coil subwoofer. you can buy Dayton or Goldwood on Amazon or at PartsExpress. This is what I bought at parts express... I only installed the mid-bass and it sound fine - not hugely loud, but really nice specially for the cost. The subwoofer is a Goldwood woofer I bought at Amazon since the Dayton DVC sub was on backorder (that's the best option). On the backseat, I installed powerbass 4" 3--way speakers 3ohms each that I had bought for my old E46 BMW. They aren't the right impedance but their load on the amp is not enough to stress it. If you like a lot of bass, the option is to go with a box... the Free air subwoofer set-up will not give you that booming bass. It's nice, but not booming. In addition, if you are handy, installing it isn't difficult. It will take a little time, but you can do it. If you are going to do it, but extremely careful removing the door window switches as they are easy to break. Use a spudge tool and lift them from the side, not the top or bottom since those parts will break.
294-2700PRV Audio 6MB200 6-1/2" Midbass Speaker 8 Ohm2EA$26.99$53.98299-2004Advent 099-20113 1/2" Mylar Dome Unbranded Tweeter Mini II2EA$12.98$25.96292-534Visaton K64WP-8 2.5" Full-Range Water Resistant Speaker 8 Ohm2EA$5.67$11.34
The following users liked this post:
famewolf (04-10-18)
Old 04-09-18, 10:16 PM
famewolf
Driver School Candidate

So it's been almost a year since you did this....are you still happy with the results? Anything you would do different? I've priced the brackets for $10(ebay) and the speakers for $12.90 each + $7 shipping from Parts Express. Best Buy's website indicates they do a speaker install for $40. I've got buzzing coming from the right side door. It only occurs when the song has alot of bass so reasonably certain it's the 6x9's. Someone in this thread mentioned using home audio speakers in the car can have bad results due to the temperature and weather experienced by the car so was curious.
Well for what it's worth I had this mod done today. Paid $55 at a local car installer as Best buy was backed up... "$32 for the speakers shipped...they sound good. Really happy with this option. In the description at parts express it indicated these woofers are also suitable for car audio.
Old 04-10-18, 12:04 AM
moerbeck
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Well for what it's worth I had this mod done today. Paid $55 at a local car installer as Best buy was backed up... "$32 for the speakers shipped...they sound good. Really happy with this option. In the description at parts express it indicated these woofers are also suitable for car audio.
There aren't any car or non-car audio speakers. It's really about impedance, sensitivity and the power rating. As a matter of fact, the woofer from Goldwood is not listed as a sub-woofer, but I checked the specs and it was perfectly fine for a free air application. No local installer wanted to touch the car with a 10-foot pole. They told me the cost if they broke something on a 16-year old car was too much compared to what they were charging me. :-) I kinda agree...
The following users liked this post:
famewolf (04-10-18)
Old 04-10-18, 04:38 PM
famewolf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by moerbeck
There aren't any car or non-car audio speakers. It's really about impedance, sensitivity and the power rating. As a matter of fact, the woofer from Goldwood is not listed as a sub-woofer, but I checked the specs and it was perfectly fine for a free air application. No local installer wanted to touch the car with a 10-foot pole. They told me the cost if they broke something on a 16-year old car was too much compared to what they were charging me. :-) I kinda agree...

Hopefully I won't run into that issue with my next project to have bluetooth added to the car. I purchased a Vias Technology Model SLI audio gateway which gives you a 30 pin ipod interface that can be controlled from the radio and a 2nd aux in to be used with bluetooth ($40 on ebay) as well as an rca female to dual male rca ($10) and a bluetooth to 3.5mm dongle which has a call connect/end button on it along with a built in mic ($25 on amazon)...the installer quoted me a price of $129.99 for a bluetooth dongle they were selling so I decided a roll your own package was in order.

I don't really care about the ipod portion but given that it can be controlled from the radio I've debated buying a cheap ipod from ebay and loading it up with music to be used in the car when not using bluetooth.
Old 12-17-18, 04:46 PM
EJJ52
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-31-19, 05:06 AM
maxrpm
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up SC 430 6x9 door speaker repair

A big 'Thank You' to ZGone and all other contributors on the SC 430 speaker replacement detailed instructions. Just finished rebuilding the door 6 x 9 mid-range speakers with the Simply Speakers kit: TL-FSK-6x9-Toy $25.
The only issue I had was the switch cover panels were so brittle that they broke upon removal (was very careful, using a set of plastic tools, just too brittle to move). After lengthy investigation I was finally able to locate the parts that had been renumbered to: (RH) 74231-24901 (color EO, saddle tan) $26.50 (LH) 74232-24902-EO $19 (interesting, driver side more complex yet cost less). Only other note, the removal of the two plastic fasteners at the front edge of the door panel just required pushing 'in' on the center post to release the fastener. I still need to get a couple replacements as again, the heat/age cause breakage upon release. I did entire process with panel remaining in place on the door and access from the bottom and door leading edge areas. I'd recommend the repair to all, just be patient and take care and you can save significant $ on this DIY !
Old 08-12-19, 12:40 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Default pics gone ATT'N MODS

Is it possible to get the original post WITH pics back on this thread?
Old 10-05-20, 07:15 PM
Hookedongo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I have to admit, finding this group was not easy. I think I posted in the wrong section, but who would have thought to type in zGone, not me! I need help!
Being a 76 yr old female, I am really not up on my game of tearing my doors off and fixing the old speakers. Therefore, I finally found a business that had speakers for the car, and would install.

When I took the car in, the Driver's side speakers were amazing, so I moved the balance completely to the left side so I didn't have to hear the blown out right speaker noise. They found speakers for my car, and I told them to replace both since the car was a 2003 model. When the car was completed, the right side was amazing, and the left side was not. One could barely hear any noise out of the bottom and middle speaker on the door panel. When I moved the balance key on the Pioneer radio from left to right, the sound increased ten fold. Why? I did not change the volume. The speaker on the Driver's side is working, but so faint. I am going back again tomorrow and they are going back in to see what is wrong. Hopefully it is just a bad speaker, but both the middle one and the lower door speaker have the same volume. Any ideas, I would love to hear them! They put TS-A6977S speakers in the car.
Old 04-10-21, 01:24 PM
djgregory
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Is it possible to repost the pic's on the speaker replacement for the 2002 SC430?

Originally Posted by ZGone
I have finally gotten around to finishing the speaker replacement/upgrade on my wife’s 2002 SC430. The woofers in the doors sounded blown like has been commented on so many times here. We just got the car and I was committed to upgrading the system because the sound system sounded really bad. After getting into this project it reinforced my opinion of factory systems. That is the high end systems that they put in these cars have decent head units and amps but the speakers are way below what would be expected. I have the Bose system in my 350Z and the speakers in that system were cheap-cheap-cheap as well.

Here is the process for replacement of the ML speakers using ones that I acquired from Parts Express. Since I was retaining the factory head unit and amp for the front and rear speakers I matched the factory 8 ohm. As you will see I replaced the factory 16 ohm sub woofer with a Polk Audio 4 ohm powered by a MA Audio amp. This gave the system that much needed punch in the low end.

Remove the large screw shown here.

Another screw to remove.

Two screws holding the rubber bumper and the push plate.

There are three screws along the bottom.

There are two plastic clips. Be careful with these because the brake easily. (I know) They are already remove here.

One last screw under the arm rest. Then lift the panel outwards from the bottom to pop the plastic clips along the front and rear edge. Lift the panel out then up to remove. Place the panel on you knee and then reach around to disconnect the two cables for the seat memory and the light. Then remove the screw holding the door lever and remove that to free the panel.