Sponsored by:

Speaker Install SC430

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-08, 11:01 AM
ZGone
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks Guys

Thanks for all the kudos on this writeup. I also have the problem with the pictures showing w/ MS Explorer 7. I did find that if you hit F5 (repeatedly) to refresh the page the pictures will eventually. It is just a lot of info for the page to load.

Sorry I didn't get back to a few peoples questions but I don't prowl this site very often (check my sig for the reason).

Cheers,
ZGone
Old 03-01-08, 09:30 PM
hlovepenn
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing SC430 Door Panel

Zgone,
I just posted a new thread on this subject, but I believe you are the MAN! (I didn't know you had such a recent reply!) I noted that you recommend removing the wood trim via removing eleven screws--is this necessary? Also, after I had taken out all of the clips and screws, except for the wood trim, it felt as thought the panel was solidly attached to the door--is it indeed just clipped to the door or are there additional screws to remove. I've had two LS400s with similar problems and removed those panels with no problems.
You did a great writeup on the job and I hope to hear from you soon.
BTW, I was able to remove my wife's woofers without completely removing the panel, but I would like to know how to do it! I recognize that on some Lexus parts, you grit your teeth and pull!!!!!
Old 06-25-08, 03:48 PM
ez0618
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Lexus sc430 door woofer

Thanks a lot.

That was the best speaker installation tip I have ever seen.

I blew out the driver's side woofer last year and just blew out the pax woofer on my 2002 sc430. I installed a Lexus GS 470 speaker (8616o-ow560 supposedly better more durable speaker) on the driver's side. So far it is working great but very expensive. I went to Parts express and their speaker is 8 ohms and only 49.00. Do you have any idea of how it will match the GS 470 speaker I have already installed? I am also getting feedback that the Mark Levinson's vary between 8 and 16 ohms. Which one is it 8 ohm or 16 ohm? I do not want to blow out my amp with the wrong speaker. Thanks for your help.

Stew
Old 06-30-08, 02:01 PM
ZGone
Rookie

Originally Posted by ez0618
Thanks a lot.

That was the best speaker installation tip I have ever seen.

I blew out the driver's side woofer last year and just blew out the pax woofer on my 2002 sc430. I installed a Lexus GS 470 speaker (8616o-ow560 supposedly better more durable speaker) on the driver's side. So far it is working great but very expensive. I went to Parts express and their speaker is 8 ohms and only 49.00. Do you have any idea of how it will match the GS 470 speaker I have already installed? I am also getting feedback that the Mark Levinson's vary between 8 and 16 ohms. Which one is it 8 ohm or 16 ohm? I do not want to blow out my amp with the wrong speaker. Thanks for your help.

Stew
The Sub is a 16 ohm unit and everything else is 8 ohm (look if about 1/3 down in my post, there is a table with the speaker ohm's). I would imagine that any good quality 8 ohm "home stereo" speaker would be far superior to anything that OEM has to offer. The difference in the sub is the reason I opted to go with a dedicated 4 ohm amp, that and the fact that the punch from a good 4 ohm sub is orders of magnitude greater that the original setup which was pretty weak.

Cheers
Old 09-18-08, 12:14 PM
tsc430
Driver School Candidate

ZGone, thanks for the great step by step instructions. pctsc430, thanks for the additional info you added. you guys are great, I'm new to this forum and liking it already.
Old 10-17-08, 11:22 PM
TopDown
Rookie

First of all, great post!

I am looking to get the same pioneer speakers that you described. The parts express site lists a speak model number C16EU20-52D. It is the only poly 6.5. However, this speaker is listed at 6ohm. I noticed in the close up of the back of your 6.5 in this post that they have a 6 ohm mark on the back.

Is this the speaker model that you purchased?
Can I get by with a 6 ohm speaker?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-09, 07:13 AM
snappy
Driver School Candidate

Default Cabinet Speaker In My Car?

Apparently the OEM "blown speaker" issue is epidemic. I've got two of them myself; although I have to admit that I ride the sound pretty hard, so maybe it's not the manufacturers fault?!?

I spoke with a local high end car stereo vendor/installer (Fayetteville, AR) who couldn't match the 8ohm factory spec. and indicated that it would be a "tough hunt" to find a match. He looked around a bit then proceeded to work me on a $2,200 upgrade! Hey... it's his duty to try. I had already been doing some checking online and discovered that it's not too difficult to find a "cabinet" style speaker that matches the specs but a much greater challenge to locate a speaker designated as a car speaker.

I realize it is his job... but the car stereo salesman indicated that you don't want to put a home speaker in a vehicle. To my untrained eye... I don't see any difference. Am I missing something?

Oh and kudos, kudos, kudos on the replacement guide! Very detailed, very nice and much appreciated.
Old 01-04-09, 10:45 AM
ynctypes
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZGone
Cont…
Here are the speakers specs. for the ML system.
GZone, I realize that you may not check this forum site as often, but I thought to give it a try. The table you posted above show that the front door woofer is 8ohm impedance. I wonder how come the Pioneer woofer you showed in the picture below has 6ohm marking on the back of it? Did you end up using a 6ohm woofer?

I browsed on part express and could only find this 8ohm woofer that's of 6.5''. The Pioneer part number is C16LU20-51F. Is this what you have? Link below:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...23&ctab=1#Tabs

Thank you.

PS: thanks for the detail write-up on this topic!!
Originally Posted by ZGone
I decided to go with a 6.5” mid/sub replacement. This is a Pioneer 8 ohm poly woofer. I cut the MDF plate to accept the new speaker and used the original mounting ring with the wiring connection.

The following users liked this post:
Grblckmon (11-22-18)
Old 02-11-09, 02:15 PM
JD Dallas
Driver School Candidate

I can not find 8 ohm 6x9 woofers for the door. Can I install 4 ohm woffers without damaging the head? Or, can I add a 4 ohm resistor to the 4 ohms speaker (in series) to have the equivelant of 8 ohms?
Old 02-14-09, 01:48 PM
dmizock
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also had difficulty finding 8 ohm 6x9 replacement speakers and couldn't bring myself to spend $250 for the OEM. I opted for the $3.89 GE Silicon II sealant from Home Depot, and carefully placed a bead around the edge where the cone had separated from the speaker frame. I did this several years age with a 10" woofer in one of my home speakers and it still works perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails Speaker Install SC430-speaker.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
msteele (09-26-20)
Old 03-26-09, 01:03 PM
ZGone
Rookie

Hey guys,

I'm glad this thread has been helpful. The whole reason for setting it up is the same issues anyone comes across when replacing those blown 6x9's. The 6.5 Pioneer that I used was rated at 8 ohms. I don't know why it had a 6 ohm stamp on the back of the magnet. The simple matter of going to a 6.5 speaker with minimal modifications makes choosing a replacement much easier. There really isn't any reason why you can't install a good home speaker in you car. I did go with a poly cone just to prevent the possibility of water damage.

Regarding using a 4 ohm car speaker instead of an 8 ohm to match the OEM... DON'T DO IT! The difference in the resistance could result in the amp overheating and possible burnout. The amp is located in such a small enclosed space that running at 8 ohms generates much lower heat buildup than a 4 ohm system. Also don't try using an addition resistor to match the 8 ohm system. It will only make the speaker sound crappy.

Cheers,
ZGone
Old 05-31-09, 04:45 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Replaced the front door speakers yesterday

Thanks ZGone for all of the effort and detail. I used your instructions and replaced the front door speakers with 6.5" - 8 Ohm woofers from Parts Express http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=297-305 For $110 and some work (3.hours) they sound so much better than stock it is incredible! I took your advice and also used EDead on the doors. What a difference!

Don't bother with the stock speakers. Replace them with upgraded new ones. Yeah it's work but so worth it!

I will now have to do the back speakers and subwoofer since I have the bug and the front speakers sound so good.
Old 10-20-09, 08:50 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great writeup ZGone! A stereo upgrade is on my list of things to do this winter..
Old 10-20-09, 10:18 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

First of all, OUTSTANDING writeup!

I'm going to buck the trend here a little bit. I'd recommend the Dynaudio speaker lineup if you're after sound accuracy. The dyns that are sitting in my car have been in use for well over 10 years and they show no signs of quitting.

Parts express will have 8 ohm speakers, but they are often made for home application, ie, far field dispersion. The dyns are based off of their studio monitor series, near field, which is essentially the environment that the automotive audio is in. Dispersion characteristics of the dyns will make the sound stage much more involving - pretty much seamless. With far field speakers, (home), your dispersion isn't as wide.

Also, consider the automotive environment and it's effect on adhesives. Many home speakers that were dropped into the car didn't last for more than a few years. Cones seperated, surrounds disintegrated, etc. The Dyns use adhesives that were made to better than automotive temp specs.

For the limited mounting depth of the doors, you could always incorporate spacer rings. Mount them under the speaker so that the magnet will clear the window.

And I'm NOT surprised that the ML speakers are so cheaply made. Remember - they are there for marketing, not for ultra long lasting components.

Also, if you can take apart your amp, install a larger CFM fan. The amps tend to overheat and blow.
Old 10-21-09, 08:56 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parts Express new 6x9 8-ohm

Good positive reviews. The only 8-ohm rated 6x9 they carry. Has anyone installed this?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...37&ctab=2#Tabs

Quick Reply: Speaker Install SC430