Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Special Interest Forums > Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Speaker Install SC430

Old 06-29-13, 12:26 PM   #136
HDog
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Would these instructions also apply to a 2005 sc 430?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
HDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 02:36 PM   #137
CSX4909
Driver School Candidate

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  131.7 KB

I had tremendous success repairing the speakers by gluing the foam surrounds back in place using a rubber adhesive.

You still need to remove the speaker from the car. Then the plastic ring held in place with four torx screws each located just under the foam. I then applied a bead of rubber glue around the torn edge of the speaker. You then smooth the glue with your finger to fill gaps and make a nice consistent layer around the edge. See attached pic - clear glue around edge before I smoothed it.

I chose Shoe Goo adhesive. Sold to repair sneakers, it had the consistency I liked for this task. Silicone was too thick and other choices too runny.

Let it set overnight, reinstalled and the speakers sound great.
CSX4909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-13, 06:40 AM   #138
SteadyEddy
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)

Thanks to all who have made this thread what it is. Dating back to 07. I guess some information is "priceless"
04 SC 430 White Gold Crystal w/Saddle, tinted glass, 25mm in the front. 35mm in rear, chrome stars (twisties), black emblems, debadged grill, Tein S springs, Injen Intake, wind screen, Lexus Aluminum Sport Pedals, navtool, rear camera, mgp caliper covers.
SOLD 07 ES 350 Obsidian w/Cashmere
2013 Prius 3 Blizzard Pearl/ Grey interior w/black pin strip, Solar Sun Roof, Appearance Package, XM Radio, Nav.w/back-up camera 17" black chrome rims, tinted windows, door edge guards.
SteadyEddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 04:24 PM   #139
kevmc
Driver School Candidate

Default A few more tips for disassembling the door.

Thanks ZGone for the post. I just "repaired" the driver side with glue while awaiting new foam surrounds. I have a couple tips to add for the next person to tackle this.

1. The window control panel (window and door lock controls) prys off at the rear as shown bt ZGone - once it is pried up you slide it towards the rear of the car. The front clip is L shaped and slides into the door panel - take a close look at the left side of the window control in the photo (I accidentally broke the clip).

2. The plastic clips at the front of the door are easily removed without breakage. Just depress the center of the clip and it easily pulls out. It only depresses about 1/8". To reinstall push the pointed end all the way out, insert the clip without pushing on the center then press the center until it is flush.

The first 2 photos showing how the clip is designed.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/images/attach/jpg.gif

3. After everything is removed in ZGones post you need to also remove the tweeter cover to allow the door panel to come off. The tweeter cover is removed by prying it away from the door at the top then slide it upwards. Here are photos of those clips (photos 3&4).

And here is a photo of the clips on the plastic pieced behind the door handle. It prys off as shown by ZGone. (photo 5)

4. The door panel comes off by lifting it upward. It is a pretty tight fit though.

Note that there are 2 connectors and 2 cables to remove - 1 at the bottom rear for the door light, 1 at the top, and 2 cables. The cables come off by first sliding the cable jacket (there is a fitting on the end of the cable) from the plastic door fixture and then removing the cable as you would a bicycle brake cable.
Attached Images

kevmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 06:47 PM   #140
kevmc
Driver School Candidate

Ordered new surrounds through Amazon. They arrived quickly and the re-furb went smoothly. Definitely a good way to go , sound is back!
Old 07-11-14, 07:55 AM   #141
editordz
Rookie

This is such a great thread! Does anyone know the rear speaker maximum mounting depth?
editordz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-14, 04:59 PM   #142
SleekCat
Driver School Candidate

I agree that this is a fantastic thread. I just completed replacement of 2 door speakers and rear subwoofer. It was much easier having these instructions.
I do want to comment on Kevmc's post regarding 'A few more tips' : Very useful tips and great pictures! I do find that his suggestion #4 regarding removal of the cables has a significant shortcut.
Just remove the single screw (on the backside of the door panel) that holds the door handle / door lock cable assembly and you can lightly pry the housing (from the cable side) and the whole assembly pops out in one piece. It is even easier to replace because you just align in into the door panel (it has foolproof alignment tabs), snap it into place and replace the screw.

In my experience - much simpler.

By the way, I used the 6x9 and 8" speaker surround replacement kits from Simplyspeakers.com - they were awesome to use. I repaired all three speakers for less than $50 and they sound factory fresh!

Last edited by SleekCat; 08-10-14 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: Add more information
SleekCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-14, 05:56 AM   #143
mandyfig

Bump this is the most comp that I have seen as a DIY for the audio...wish I had done my own detailed search when I did mine.
Old 12-16-14, 02:46 PM   #144
kevmc
Driver School Candidate

Default Blown subwoofer

Well, the subwoofer finally went. I tried repairing the surround but apparently the bearing surfaces in the suspension wore unevenly as the speaker went bad and the repair didnt work. (I used the glue approach as mentioned elsewhere as a sanity check.) The cone would not smoothly move back and forth. So I looked around for a replacement.

I found this speaker on Amazon: Pyle PLPW8D 8-Inch 800 Watt Dual 4 Ohm Subwoofer. It costs less than the repair kit. At under $20 i decided to give it a try. It has dual 4 Ohm voice colis so I wired the coils in series to retain the 8 Ohm impedance. The Pyle speaker has a much more robust structure compared with the Levinson and a more massive magnet.

Install was easy - I pushed the old speaker out of the plastic mounting housing. The new speaker was a tight fit but it does fit. I left off the ring shown below. I cut off the connector wire at the old speaker and reused it. The plastic grill cover required a little trimming of the foam on the new speaker (or you can just compress the foam as you reattach the grill - which is what I did).

What a difference! This 8" speaker really moves. I can actually feel the bass in the driver seat. I've only used it for a couple weeks so far - will see how it lasts. The reviews on amazon are positive.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-14, 02:46 PM