Sponsored by:

I totally figured out the car phone beep

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-07, 05:30 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I totally figured out the car phone beep

I was back in my trunk fiddling around with my MDX antenna swap (thanks aquino), and I get to thinking about my car phone. If you are like me, every piece of visible hardware from the center console has been removed, but the car still goes "BEEP" at every start up.

I have heard of people disconnecting the front passenger speaker, but who wants that? I want my speaker AND no beep. Is that too much to ask?

Instructions

(1) Get into your trunk and remove the carpet panel on the driver's side.

(2) Locate the box that says "RELAY SPEAKER". Unclip the 10-pin connection in the photo.

(3) Remove the plain black wire pinned in the lower right position, as pictured with a narrow, firm object like an unraveled paperclip.

(4) Plug back in the connector to the relay and reinstall the carpet panel.

VOILA!! THE BEEP IS GONE. Best of all, you keep your front passenger speaker.

All in all, this is a 15 minute, $0 DIY (can't fault the price) that requires a paper clip to unclip the black wire that is pinned into the connection. It is almost surreal for me to start the car free from all Motorola-inspired noises.

--------------------
Note that I have a 96 SC400. I assume all models are the same, but yours may be slightly different. If it doesn't work, reinsert the wire and go back to your car the way it was before. But, this speaker relay should be a consistency and work like a charm.
Old 06-08-07, 05:53 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Personaly,I kind of like the beep.
Old 06-08-07, 09:25 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I personally don't care about the beep, it lasts 1 sec and thats it.
Old 06-08-07, 09:36 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

my radar beeps every time =] i dont mind it hah
Old 06-08-07, 11:22 PM
DY3VERSITY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you figure out that i was the black wire? I can see you with a friend saying, "Cut the blue wire!" You: "Nono, it's the red one!" Then cutting the black one. LoL
Old 06-09-07, 01:56 AM
DryBlaze
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What beep? lol.
Old 06-09-07, 05:25 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rvaquino
How did you figure out that i was the black wire? I can see you with a friend saying, "Cut the blue wire!" You: "Nono, it's the red one!" Then cutting the black one. LoL
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161397 (Post #6 has the wiring diagram for the '92 LS400. Turns out we are wired the same way.)

In my opinion, the car says, "I am from the early 90's," every time the phone beeps at start up. I have had more than a handful of passengers ask: "does this thing have a car phone?" at start up. I would rather talk about ballet history than the car phone that came with the vehicle.
Old 06-09-07, 12:29 PM
206bruce
Rookie

There has been a post about this before. Except it bypasses the entire phone system. Just unplug all the cables from the phone system (the "relay speaker" and that entire setup in the trunk, or under the seat for some). Remove the phone system and excess cable. Then you will be left with two cable with matching plugs coming out of the chassis. Plug them together and you will be back in business. Now no more beep and no more 90s phone system in your trunk.

Last edited by 206bruce; 06-09-07 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-09-07, 01:26 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Even though I like the beep, nice DIY on the wiring delete,, If anyone removes the phone junk and weighs it from a 95 sc4, please let me know the results, Ill be removing mine as well.
Old 06-09-07, 07:50 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 206bruce
There has been a post about this before. Except it bypasses the entire phone system. Just unplug all the cables from the phone system (the "relay speaker" and that entire setup in the trunk, or under the seat for some). Remove the phone system and excess cable. Then you will be left with two cable with matching plugs coming out of the chassis. Plug them together and you will be back in business. Now no more beep and no more 90s phone system in your trunk.
I seached on multiple occasions with multiple different queries along all of Club Lexus to find this fix. I was empty handed each time. I took pieces from here and there to piece this mystery together.

All of the hardware was removed by the original owner of the vehicle, presumably by Fort Wayne Lexus as that was where the vehicle was serviced more than a dozen times during the previous ownership. I was left with only the beep: no hardware.

If I unplugged the cables into the "Relay Speaker", I would lose my passenger front speaker. The only way that I was able to both keep the function of the speaker and disable the beep was to pull that single wire.

Perhaps my situation was entirely unique. In that case, this post is useless. In the event that anyone is able to derive help from this today, tomorrow, or five years down the line, then this was very worth it.
Old 06-11-07, 11:11 PM
206bruce
Rookie

Originally Posted by Blizzy
If I unplugged the cables into the "Relay Speaker", I would lose my passenger front speaker. The only way that I was able to both keep the function of the speaker and disable the beep was to pull that single wire.
That "Relay Speaker" is not really the "phone system." What it is attached to is the actual phone system. I recognize it in your pictures. It's black and has some heat sink fins. What is in the center console is only the handset. So again, remove the entire phone system. Just unbolt that whole setup from the chassis and unplug any and all of those cables. What you will be left with is two small bundle of cables with matching plugs. If you remove that side carpet you will be able to see better.
Old 06-15-07, 07:37 PM
lalaland
Rookie

i was some modding myself when i came across this, but if you guys realize the implications of this mod- ie: integrate a standard bt carkit to use the buttons, mic and speakers of the system, more people would be interested.

wired headsets would also work, but limited by the connector in terms of compatability
Old 06-15-07, 11:12 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I just turned the power off and it stays off... Even when I start the car
Old 06-26-07, 04:04 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Im glad Blizzy got this thread started, I just went out and unbolted my phone system, which is the whole ssembly under the relay speaker, unpluged the 2 big white plugs at the bottom, which plugged into themsleves, disconnected the coax, and its all out and stereo is working fine. The phone system weighs in at 4 lbs. 14 ozs. If we keep taking off useless things from our cars eventually we can get the weight down a bit, at no cost. A carbon fiber hood is approx. 24 lbs weight loss at approx. $650.00. By removing the horrible looking antenna and this phone sys. I have lost 6 lbs and improved looks for $55.00. Granted I am going to go with the MDX for the same price in the future, for better reception than my interior mount antenna.
Old 06-26-07, 10:33 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
I just turned the power off and it stays off... Even when I start the car
Ditto. Worked for me - I turned it off the second day of owning the car.

-=Photon440=-

Quick Reply: I totally figured out the car phone beep