Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Just How Good are the New Cadence CVL components??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-07, 01:32 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just How Good are the New Cadence CVL components?? I'll tell ya--

They're absolutely stunning--

The 5.25 mids I am testing are unreal-- they just cleanly convert your amp power into sound with virtually no hint of distortion--

This should be attributed to the 3" voice coil as it's better at thermal power handling as well as providing a better base for the cone to avoid breakup at high power levels --

In the pics I'm using them in a .125 ft^3 vented 87hz vented test enclosure that is close to the factory SC door enclosure and I should be able to get it close to this dimension if not a little more--

The tweet is a 30mm scanspeak tweeter sold as a Soundstream exact with their comp set from a few years ago-- These high end sets went for $499 and the power handling is about 200w rms, so the tweets should be a good match for the CVL mid--
I like the sound of them even though they're aluminum domes-- They're very well damped and not harsh or bright at all-- just perfect and accurate-- only a touch brighter than the polk db tweet-- but not enough to notice-- I think it's around 12k which can be pulled back just a bit-- In my opinion it doesn't get any better than this without going with Image dynamics horns and CF drivers--

The vented config provides a 2.5db hike in 125hz range and extends the lowend f3 (3db downpoint) 20hz before a sharp rolloff, from 90hz freeair to 70hz vented-- very good for playing right down to the subs-- I'd rather have the slight hike in midbass and a little more cone control due to the vent reducing excursion to near zero around it's tuning frequency-- It's just easier to eq it down a little than to find power the amp just can't provide-- makes sense to me--

Here's a picture of the curve of the freeair vs the vented config-- don't pay attention to the bright orange line-- that's the MB Qt 4" mid I was just looking at-- it actually won't play that close to the CVL's as it won't handle the 150w I have the curve modelled for-- more like half that-- still impressive though--

The highest line is the curve of a kappa perfect 12.1 with 500w at 2m I think-

I'm testing them against my Polk S6 Bookshelf speakers from the mid 90's -- A very difficult standard to meet for most speakers-- The polk s6 has a 6.5 with a 6.5 passive radiator and a nice chambered 25mm tweet that's smooth and balanced -- I really don't need a sub with them either in our apt--

The response curve-- click for a larger version--

Last edited by MJHSC400; 05-26-07 at 10:07 PM. Reason: title sucked-- my bad