Sponsored by:

how to install aftermarket radio in 2nd generation gs

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-14, 10:28 PM
GSON22S
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSGenesis
Dam alright I'll go ahead and start that up, there's another DIY I'm supposed to make as well for a transmission shift solinoide but I gave this one my word first, let me bang this out today. What exactly are you missing? Mine write ups going to be on how to bypass, and how to make every connection you need off off the looms, I didn't think it was necessary for me to include how to install subs and amp as well... There's threads onnthat, but getting a double din an bypassing your stock is what it will be all about. It'll be detailed so... I coldt follow any one of these man they are just to incomplete

I may need a photo of someone's stock harness because You have to change a pins position on one of your stock plugs, I may be able to tell but I'll keep you posted and maybe you'll be able to provide me with that pic... Or actually I can just find one on here what am I saying... Lol.. Stay posted
Did you ever make the DIY? I'm in need of some help to wire it up this week any help is greatly appreciated
Old 08-03-14, 10:31 PM
GSON22S
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by freshmoney
Hey i gave it shot anyways today. i just decided to just wire it.this way with the six pin power acc ill and ground going behind the stereo in 6 pin harness. and it works. but the radio doesn't turn on with the car i have to press power. when i start the car. i had this radio with my other car and it should be coming on with the car. i wonder should if running the switched and power backward cause this???

Could you help me figure out this wiring thing I have all the parts and am gonna install this week
Old 08-04-14, 03:34 PM
freshmoney
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use two toyota 87+ wire harnesses. Cut 4 speaker wires about 36 inches. Now you have to make your own harness.

Take one 87+ adapter and connect to the 4 speakers wires. And this side will plug in to the two amp out puts you take out of the factory amp in the glove box.

Take your other 87+ harness and just use the small 6 pin connector. It will fit to the factory plug behind the radio. You have to move the pins around to line up. I don't have it in front of me I'm at tire plus.12v and switched Power ground and dimmer go behind the radio.

Now you need to make a wire for each to run into your new radios adapter. Connect the speaker wires to the new radio adapter. You can plug and play from there.
Old 08-06-14, 09:34 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSON22S
Did you ever make the DIY? I'm in need of some help to wire it up this week any help is greatly appreciated
ALMOST DONE WITH IT BRO! Dam takes a long and lots of! Time to make these man... It's almost complete k. I'll publish it soon. Warning it's going to be PIC HEAVY I hope it won't be an issue lol
Old 09-14-14, 10:21 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok so I bought the harness for my car and I just seen this thread after I had to put the stock unit back in! WTF this sux their is NO slot on the aftermarket harness that lines up with the power wire and the ground , their is no slot for it! How in the heck do I wire those up without hardwiring and cutting the factory harness? I have an aftermarket amp btw I'm not using the stock amp, can someone please chime in
Old 12-03-14, 05:27 PM
702GS
Driver

Originally Posted by DosyBoy
Ok so I bought the harness for my car and I just seen this thread after I had to put the stock unit back in! WTF this sux their is NO slot on the aftermarket harness that lines up with the power wire and the ground , their is no slot for it! How in the heck do I wire those up without hardwiring and cutting the factory harness? I have an aftermarket amp btw I'm not using the stock amp, can someone please chime in
what did you end up doing? If you have an aftermarket amp then this install should be simple!
Old 11-02-16, 11:35 AM
Laza1

Originally Posted by premium93
I'm a new Lexus owner and truly love this car. I can't wait to mod the heck out of it. The past couple of days, I've been banging my head against the wall, trying to figure out this damn bypass/bass problem. My conditions were:
a) not bypassing a perfectly working stock amp
b) save money, and
c) keep the Bass!!
Well, the solution I found actually was very easy and right in the front of my eyes the whole time. If your HU is going to serve as an Amp itself, why not just buy an HU that supports 4.1 and bypass it anyways. The costs are the exact same. I spent $269 on a 6.5inch touch screen DVD/Nav/Audio/etc...etc... Building a harness is pretty simple, plus you can then re-sell your stock amp on eBay and pick up a couple bucks for the cost of the HU. I found one going for $65.

I know this doesn't help the existing owners of a non-base supported HU, but maybe to some new-commers.

I'll get my ride pics up here soon and you'll be hearing from me much more! Great forum!

Later!
Thank you!! How???? Please help me!!!