Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 06:21 PM
JBenedykt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this can work for a 2008 Lexus RX 350 without navi ?
Old 07-15-16, 07:47 AM
jamesdem11
Driver School Candidate

I have a 1999 sc400 with the nakamichi radio, where is the amp located to splice into the wires?
Old 07-15-16, 07:58 AM
Rey
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jamesdem11
I have a 1999 sc400 with the nakamichi radio, where is the amp located to splice into the wires?
Confirmed Applications:
LS400 (all years incl. NAK** and Navi cars)
GS300/400 (98-02 incl. Nak**, ML, and Navi)
GS300 (1st gen https://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...6&postcount=16)
SC300/400 (all years)**

**=will intercept signal between CD Changer and Headunit, not amp, needs to be done on SC300/400 (all), 98-00 GS3/4 with NAK, and 98-00 LS400 with NAK (NOT needed on non-nak 98-00 LS/GS)
Old 10-21-16, 04:39 AM
jhmkmacool
Driver School Candidate

Smile Does anyone sell a kit for this Aux cable add-on?

I have a 1995 SC400 with the factory 6-disc CD changer and stock Pioneer head unit. Is anyone selling a kit for this Aux cable add-on thing?
Old 10-21-16, 04:41 AM
jhmkmacool
Driver School Candidate

Question Is anyone selling a kit for this Aux cable add-on thing?

I have a 1995 SC400 with the factory 6-disc CD changer and stock Pioneer head unit. Is anyone selling a kit for this Aux cable add-on thing?
Old 11-27-16, 07:38 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Jhmkmacool,

This unit is very simple. you don't need the relays if you don't want your cd changer to work, just cut the wires, needed and hook them up to the RCA to 3.5 cable.

Then you can an AD2P BT adapter to stream music or get something like airenabler to stream via airplay, over wifi if you have IPhone. WIFI is lossless, so no worries there!

Basically all this whole thing does is change the source from the audio back into the deck from the CD change to your AUX cable (which can be adapted to a Bluetooth receiver).
Old 11-27-16, 07:54 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

After a lot of reading, you can simplify this whole setup by buying one of these

If you just want to put a toggle switch in the back by the changer you can get a 4PDT Switch (4 pole double throw).

If you want ONE relay to do all the work get a 4PDT relay, which then you can put a switch anywhere to trigger it like the 4 relay solution. http://www.frys.com/product/1668016?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by zazzn; 11-27-16 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-20-17, 09:41 AM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

^ I came here to post the same thing basically. After doing some research i got a 4PDT switch which makes the whole setup simpler AND takes up less space. Which was important because i basically have the whole thing setup in the ashtray of my SC400.
Old 01-21-17, 03:47 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

Ok, so i may have jumped ahead of myself a little. While i was able to wire everything up on the relay side. I cant seem to figure out which is the plug for the cd changer and which wires i need to tap. I have a 99 SC400 With a Nakamichi head unit. Does anyone have a pinout of the CD changer plug??? I have searched every page of this thread and there is no clear mention of which plug it is and which pins i need to tap. Please someone let me know, i would really really appreciate, once i have this information it would take me 20 minutes to wire everything up and have my aux/blutooth working again!!!!

The back of the unit looks exactly like this one, but without the sticker

thanks in advance

Last edited by - V -; 01-21-17 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-19-17, 03:33 AM
samsung201
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yamae
PD's method is a good idea but it needs 4 relays and signals should not be single ended.

I needed to connect another external digital audio unit to my stock navi/audio in my 98 Celsior. The unit is not capable to drive differential input ports. It only can drive single ended ports.

So what I did was to analyse the board which is located under the stock navi unit indicated by a white arrow. It's a switcher, a radio, a cassette player and a volume controller. I found that the IC451 is converting single ended signals to differential signals. All I needed was to connect the R signal to the pin 2 (indicated by a red arrow) and the L to the pin 6 (blue) via two 3.3kΩ resistors each.

Now I can enjoy the external digital audio. I also can use my latest cellphone via the speaker.

My method needs to use a soldering iron + some skills but now there are some people who own JDM Celsior in the forum and I hope my method is useful for them to help hooking up external audio unit which only has single ended output signals. I also hope that this method is effective for 98-00 non JDM models with a navi/radio.
Thanks for the information.
Do you know the Output Signal on the Board? I need it to go into the aftermarket sound processor and it needs to be the clean signal where is the navigation, CD, Casette and FM Audio signal as output.
Thank you.

Edit: I think i find the resolution. On the IC maybe 1 and 7 would be the outputs. I need test it and can let you know if works or maybe not.

Last edited by samsung201; 02-19-17 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-20-17, 01:04 PM
MNight
Driver School Candidate

I just wired everything up. I have a 00 LS400 with NAK, so I found the diagram that labels the wires behind the CD player. I am positive I intercepted the proper wires, but when i turn it on and play music through my phone it plays through the speaker very quietly. I have to turn the **** up to 100% volume to barely hear it. Has anyone else experienced this or know what has happened?
Old 02-27-17, 05:03 AM
n/aisweak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vteruni
^ I came here to post the same thing basically. After doing some research i got a 4PDT switch which makes the whole setup simpler AND takes up less space. Which was important because i basically have the whole thing setup in the ashtray of my SC400.
Do you have any sort of write up or a walk through? I want to keep as much factory on the car as feasible.
Old 04-15-17, 02:23 PM
CELSIORAS
Driver School Candidate

Default diferent audio signals from external source or cd-fm

Originally Posted by samsung201
Thanks for the information.
Do you know the Output Signal on the Board? I need it to go into the aftermarket sound processor and it needs to be the clean signal where is the navigation, CD, Casette and FM Audio signal as output.
Thank you.

Edit: I think i find the resolution. On the IC maybe 1 and 7 would be the outputs. I need test it and can let you know if works or maybe not.

The audio signals in car are diferent as external sourc. if u connect like first posts = u have half of audio signal and noise from alternator when driving, because amplifier have balanced input (+/-GND) - . Minus - galvanicaly disconected from car GND, on external source : +- (minus can connect to gnd - and cut half of signal. If u want right connect - u need a transformer (converter) from unbalanced to balanced (BNC).
The following users liked this post:
samsung201 (04-17-17)
Old 04-18-17, 05:01 PM
jshbll
Driver School Candidate

I just did this install on a 97 LS400 the images provided of the amp are different from what I have it's a non nak non nav. I ended up getting it to work by tapping into the blue plug on back of head unit the same color layout black, red, white, green. However I can tell it's not going through the amp at all. Absolutely no subwoofer and much quieter. Does anyone have the correct wiring to go through the amp? Or can someone tell me how i'm by passing the amp is this possible?
Old 04-24-17, 09:36 AM
CELSIORAS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jshbll
I just did this install on a 97 LS400 the images provided of the amp are different from what I have it's a non nak non nav. I ended up getting it to work by tapping into the blue plug on back of head unit the same color layout black, red, white, green. However I can tell it's not going through the amp at all. Absolutely no subwoofer and much quieter. Does anyone have the correct wiring to go through the amp? Or can someone tell me how i'm by passing the amp is this possible?
amp (under pass seat) have a two stereo inputs ( one from fm radio, second - from cd changer). Inputs - full balanced (+ and - and ground shield). I recomend, connect line in to fm input source. If u connect a unbalanced audio source (+ and shield GND) - u will need audio transformer (unbalanced to balanced). I use a parot mki9200 handsfree and ipod/mp3 source. In diagram = green relay need to duplicate, and connect to amp via a transformers. If my source on car is FM - FM is play. If on Parot i push to "play" - MP3 is starting playing, and fm source is off. If i push pause again - mp3 is stopping, and radio is connect. I have CD changer independent, Radio and FM - to. Audio signal is perfect via transformers. Without it - no good, "generator sweeping", signal have a distortion , because to connect full signal - need independent plus and minus and GND for shield.

Quick Reply: How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo