Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-14, 11:40 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 12V signal can come from any fused and switched 12V ignition source. The power for the amp or CD player for instance. its's purpose is to power the replay in order to allow it to switch from one pole to another.

think of it this way....
once everything is hooked up as per the photo above and the instruction in the first post, the source connected to the normally closed pole on the relays will always be on, with or without the 12v source connected.

in order to switch the other source, you need to excite the relay with a closed circuit from the 12v and the ground. so by applying the 12V and ground it will switch to the other source.

the toggle switch allows you to manually select which source you want by either completing the 12V circuit and switching to the alternate source or by breaking that circuit and reverting back to the default source.

I have my AUX set as the default source and the CD player and the switched source, mainly because i never listen to CD's and i didn't see the point to having an energized relay going 24/7 while i'm in the car.

hope that helps
Old 08-24-14, 08:35 AM
nightrave
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
The 12V signal can come from any fused and switched 12V ignition source. The power for the amp or CD player for instance. its's purpose is to power the replay in order to allow it to switch from one pole to another.
sorry, was on a long vacation! Thank you for the explanation, but where is the 12v source on the CD player/Amp? Which wire is it? I have searched through the web and am still clueless. I guess this is something very obvious, but I still can't get it The only picture I've found shows only the ACC, but AFAIK this means I can only use the circuit when the engine is on. Cannot find the BAT/B+ anywhere

Last edited by nightrave; 08-24-14 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-31-14, 06:10 PM
msweber97
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shajbot, thanks for the diagram and specs for the 93 ls400 tapped into the wires and works perfect!!
Old 10-09-14, 06:02 PM
jabbajt
Driver School Candidate

Amazon.com: Velleman K2572 Universal Stereo Pre-Amplifier: Industrial & Scientific Amazon.com: Velleman K2572 Universal Stereo Pre-Amplifier: Industrial & Scientific
Old 10-13-14, 10:40 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

what's this good for?
Old 10-15-14, 09:54 AM
UniqueCopy

Originally Posted by phantom007
hi, I found a way of adding the auxiliary cable to the system without any modifications or wire cutting.

at the back of the cd player is a plug, the four wires on the back on one end, red (right+), black(left+), and two other colours white and (I cant remember, but they are both ground). These four wires are shielded in the loom

I got an aux cable with the male stereo connection on both ends, (very common), and cut one end off, there are three wires, (two wires and the shielding) I bought a packet of mini spade connectors, which slip snugly into the back of the cd plug where the wires go in.

I crimped the red, white wires with the mini spade connection, and divided the shielding into two wires and crimp a mini spade onto each.

then unplugged from back of cd player, inserted the red wire to the red wire input, the white wire to the black wire input, then the other two below them, then plugged it back in.

I then burnt a silent audio cd,(google it), when playing that cd I plug in my smart phone and use it as my music player. sounds as good as the cd if not better.

1998 ls400 pioneer stereo
This seems like a much easier option. I did this to my girlfriend's 2005 Yukon, running it in-line with the XM radio, and using the blank station 0 for device playback.

Am I missing something here?
Old 10-15-14, 10:10 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Well actually it's easier than that. You don't need to burn a silent cd. I run my aux input without any disc in the changer. I have nav in a 98 GS. It tells me no disc for a few seconds then goes away if I have the screen set to anything other than audio. If I leave the audio screen up the message never goes away, but the audio still plays from the aux input anyway.
Old 10-16-14, 09:12 AM
dvdchance
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blanco
Well actually it's easier than that. You don't need to burn a silent cd. I run my aux input without any disc in the changer. I have nav in a 98 GS. It tells me no disc for a few seconds then goes away if I have the screen set to anything other than audio. If I leave the audio screen up the message never goes away, but the audio still plays from the aux input anyway.
Will this also work in an older 95 LS regular not Nak?

I've been debating for awhile doing this mod but I'm more motivated now. For whatever reason my new iPhone 6 gives an annoying buzz using the cassette adapter that I have been using perfectly with my older phone without issue. Go figure.
Old 11-23-14, 01:21 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

There are several other ways of wiring such as have been described but they are less than ideal as the headunit is not expecting for there to be sound when there is no input selected,or there will usually be excess audio noise when running the blank CD depending on how it was burned. The relays or a switch allow for total isolation, and better quality. Make the decision and what you are comfortable with.
Old 12-01-14, 06:07 PM
ckensto
Driver School Candidate

Default 2000 lx470?

I've been scouring this long thread to get PD's method to work on my 2000 LX470. I don't see any confirmations of this working in the thread. I guess I surmise that my 2000 LX470 with the "Nak" system has an integrated head unit so I won't be able to tap into the CD changer wires to the head unit....? Correct? So does this mean that I have to go the switch route between the head unit and amp and use a blank CD or iSimple FM hardwire or replace the head and possibly amp? I wouldn't care to have CD capability (or cassette).

Since I wasn't able to find a wiring diagram for this model on line I bought the book. I am attaching photos of the wiring diagram from the 2000 LX470 Radio and Player > AMP > Speaker wiring diagram book and the relevant IV3 25 pin diagram.

Thanks to PD and others for any advice. I really want to do this but after a lot of time research the web and ordering this wiring diagram book, I need advice.

How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo-img_2648.jpg

How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo-img_2646.jpg
Old 01-29-16, 11:44 PM
Yamae

Received 852 Likes on 644 Posts
Default How to connect single ended signals to a 98-00 JDM Celsior

PD's method is a good idea but it needs 4 relays and signals should not be single ended.

I needed to connect another external digital audio unit to my stock navi/audio in my 98 Celsior. The unit is not capable to drive differential input ports. It only can drive single ended ports.

So what I did was to analyse the board which is located under the stock navi unit indicated by a white arrow. It's a switcher, a radio, a cassette player and a volume controller. I found that the IC451 is converting single ended signals to differential signals. All I needed was to connect the R signal to the pin 2 (indicated by a red arrow) and the L to the pin 6 (blue) via two 3.3kΩ resistors each.

Now I can enjoy the external digital audio. I also can use my latest cellphone via the speaker.

My method needs to use a soldering iron + some skills but now there are some people who own JDM Celsior in the forum and I hope my method is useful for them to help hooking up external audio unit which only has single ended output signals. I also hope that this method is effective for 98-00 non JDM models with a navi/radio.
Attached Thumbnails How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo-multidisplay-unit.jpg   How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo-external-in-98-ucf21-audio-selector.jpg  
Old 03-28-16, 02:39 PM
KusHusky
Driver School Candidate

Soooo much info in this thread. Definitely doing this on this upcoming weekend. My tape casset aux thing sucks bawlz
Old 04-02-16, 06:53 PM
JBenedykt
Driver School Candidate

Default Help !! Stereo wiring diagram need for a 2008 Lexus RX 350

Help please. Somebody knows where can I find a 2008 Lexus RX 350 complete stereo wiring diagram ?
Old 04-07-16, 06:03 PM
JBenedykt
Driver School Candidate

You think this can work for a 2008 Lexus RX 350 without navi ?
Old 04-07-16, 06:11 PM
JBenedykt
Driver School Candidate

Smile this can work for a 2008 Lexus RX 350 without navi ?

this can work for a 2008 Lexus RX 350 without navi ?

Quick Reply: How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo