Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-12, 01:09 PM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So i just did this but without the relays and now my radio wont start. the cd changer is also not getting power. I undid everything and put it back how it was and it still doesnt work.... Any suggestions on what could of happened? I wired everything the right way. I have a 99 gs400 with NAK .. I just want my radio to work again!!
Old 03-10-12, 06:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

sounds like you shorted something, you did remove the battery or at least make sure the radio was off the entire time you did this right...?

check the radio and DOME fuses. all of them.
Old 03-11-12, 07:10 PM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Yes I figured out the problem. I blew the dome light and I dont know how. Any special way to wire it for 99 gs with NAK?
Old 03-15-12, 08:24 AM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Can anyone with a gs and the nak radio confirm the right colors and way to do this? I followed this and couldnt get it to work.
Old 03-15-12, 10:59 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

LudeNsol - For a GS with NAK you can tie in to the harness either behind the head unit or behind the CD changer. For mine I tied in behind the head unit to the connector with 12 pins and only 7 wires coming out of it and can verify that the following pin out works:

signal____clr______pin
CDR+____Black____1
CDL+____Red_____2
CDR-____White____6
CDL-____Green____7

If you tie in behind the CD changer you will be looking for the same color wires but in this pin out:

signal____clr_____pin
CDR- ____White___9
CDR+____ Black___10
CDL- ____Green___11
CDL+ ____RED____12

I did this on my GS with NAK about two weeks ago. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 03-19-12, 01:16 PM
moffutt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
Beautiful job man!!

It does work on the 1SC-- (=confirmed) -- However, a signal/line driver may be desired if your mp3 player's output doesn't match the gain of the CD changer source-- (Mine doesn't) Ipods are louder than my olympus player (500i -- 20g -- full color touchscreen)-- So ipods may be fine without a signal driver inline--

This is a very good mod by the way-- I will also be testing what signals the head unit needs to switch to cd w/o the changer present at all-- (not sure how that'll go yet, but hopefully well) .. It may be that all the h/u needs is a certain resistance on one pair to think the changer is there and powered up--
I know this is an old thread but I am thinking about doing this in my sc400 and was wondering if anyone figured out what signals the head unit and a way to bypass the cd player completely? I have my cd changer out of my car now, it skips so bad as to be unusable, and I would rather not have to mount it back in just to get this to work.
Old 03-19-12, 02:32 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by moffutt
I know this is an old thread but I am thinking about doing this in my sc400 and was wondering if anyone figured out what signals the head unit and a way to bypass the cd player completely? I have my cd changer out of my car now, it skips so bad as to be unusable, and I would rather not have to mount it back in just to get this to work.
no way (known anyways) to completely eliminate the CD changer. headunit won't switch to the CD input w/o it.

please read through the thread more carefully.
Old 03-29-12, 06:29 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok so i meet with with tommy@musicbox, he's pretty well known in the is250 section...anyhow he just bypassed the cd changer and added a aux with rca. Now I mainly plan my cell which had Pandora but when i charge my phone I hear that dreaded feedback also a lot of the songs I really have to turn up the volume to always all the way to hear it loud to where before when I used the tapedeck with aux cord it was loud at the halfway point ...any reason why it would be like that?
Old 03-30-12, 12:01 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

depends on the car you installed it on and the output of your phone. if you're using the headphone jack on your phone as the output you need to make sure the volume on the phone is high.
Old 03-30-12, 01:15 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

its on a 97 es300, the phone volume setting is on high......even the ipod needs to be turned up higher then usual...felt like the few times i played music from the cd changer that i'd have to turn the dial up higher than with the cassette aux wire....i thought the quality of the cassette wire was good but just didn't want to see the wire hanging all the time.
Old 03-31-12, 05:29 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

no idea what's going on for your install, if the wrong wires are cut (ie-bad grounds) the sound will be weak, if the wrong lines are tapped (from incorrect pinout being used) speaker output can be affected.
Old 04-02-12, 08:18 AM
Lexanna
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moffutt
I got my cd changer from the junk yard - for ten dollars... I really did not expect that it would even work - but much to my surprise and joy it did... One thing is that is was very dirty inside, and I used something like these...

"cd player cleaner" at Amazon.com

It made a big difference, I also found out that I could burn a CD-R with my computer and load the CD with my music using the .WMA format.... sounds pretty good and I get to choose which songs to put on the CD..

I have not finished my install - main reason is I have a MP3 player that will only output thru the headphone jack and I have to turn the volume on it ALL the way up and increase the volume on the head unit... Really can not decide to buy an Ipod touch or not
Old 04-09-12, 08:58 PM
moffutt
Driver School Candidate

I actually finished this last weekend. I tapped in behind the head unit and created two rca jacks and a power jack. I haven't figured out the iPod holder yet but when I do I will post up pictures of the finished job. BTW thank you so much for this thread, I can now listen to my ipod without the click, click, click of the tape deck. Now if only they would make iPods support FLAC.
Old 04-10-12, 03:55 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Now if only they would make iPods support FLAC.
Dump the iPod and get one of the iAudio players... support for flax, and they sound amazing, significantly better than any iPod....
Old 04-12-12, 04:43 AM
gebla
Driver School Candidate

Very impressive guide. I am looking to do an install on a 1996 GS300. Does anyone have the pin layout for me? I read through all pages but could not see details for 1996 GS300.

Quick Reply: How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo