Search this Thread

Old 05-12-07, 09:36 AM
sixp5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Ditto

Originally Posted by Horta
PureD

I need your help, I need your help. I am ready to install the device but I have ZERO clue how and were to connect some wires. I read your instruction on your other CL link but I have some wires that I have no clue where they go???

One is the switch and the other is some wires with a ring at the end....? Pleas reply so that I can install this tomarrow. My wife and daughter are away this weekend and I have time to do it. If not I will have to wait a couple of weeks and that will suck big time...

Jerry
Yeah, same here, Puredrifter What other link?
Old 05-12-07, 03:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Horta
PureD

I need your help, I need your help. I am ready to install the device but I have ZERO clue how and were to connect some wires. I read your instruction on your other CL link but I have some wires that I have no clue where they go???

One is the switch and the other is some wires with a ring at the end....? Pleas reply so that I can install this tomarrow. My wife and daughter are away this weekend and I have time to do it. If not I will have to wait a couple of weeks and that will suck big time...

Jerry
just sent you a PM
Old 05-12-07, 04:25 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

I got your PM, but

I'm lost cause I have no clue which wire back there is the12v+ line? Can you please tell me.

Everying else now makes sence.

Jerry
Old 05-12-07, 04:41 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the switching is handled by a low amp. 12v connection to the 85 and 86 terminals (opposite ends and polarity doesnt matter). no power means the CD changer is the source and when power is applied the coils in the relays are energized and the source switches to the auxillary input.
PureD

In your comments above from another thread you mention terminal 85 and 86but where is 85 and 86? Now just keep in mind I have not taken anything apart yet. Maybe it would be obviouse if I was looking at the connectors on thr amp but I am waiting to get the full clear instructions.

Sorry I'm so dumb for these things....

Jerry
Old 05-14-07, 07:54 PM
sc300n00b
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Snip...
Soundgate sells a product that nobody i know of has tested/used.
it is a plug/play aux. input model no. SDSTOYO
http://www.soundgate.com/index.php?r...usereferrer=1&
avail for approx $55+shippiing it is a plug and play device for 98-03 SC/GS with nak only and ES.

that would be worth it since its plug and play....if it works....
For the SC guys, I can confirm this works on my 2000 SC4...it is application specific to the 98-00 SCs w/Nakamichi only.
Old 05-15-07, 05:25 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

was there a major difference between the 98-00 Nak and prior? I know the later model had the 6 disc changer instead of the 12, but electrically, is there a difference in the signaling? Are the plugs different?
Old 05-15-07, 06:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

the wiring is different, iirc the 98+ had an external amplifier.
Old 06-23-07, 07:28 PM
tnltracy
Driver School Candidate

Smile 96 LS400 application

Hi all,

Just completed this integration in my 1996 LS. Works great. Big props to Puredrifter for the IM support on the wiring. Primary difference is the wiring is in the dash vs under the pass seat.

In this application you use:

pin9 White CDR-
pin10 Black CDR+
pin11 Green CDL-
pin12 Red CDL+

Also can tap the Blue/Yellow wire from pin 5. I got a few pix and will post them over the weekend. Works excellent.

I have a slightly lower volume on the input with my JVC Sirius radio, but this has been true on other applications (Audi/VW), so expect it's the receiver.
Old 06-23-07, 08:14 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by tnltracy
Hi all,

Just completed this integration in my 1996 LS. Works great. Big props to Puredrifter for the IM support on the wiring. Primary difference is the wiring is in the dash vs under the pass seat.

In this application you use:

pin9 White CDR-
pin10 Black CDR+
pin11 Green CDL-
pin12 Red CDL+

Also can tap the Blue/Yellow wire from pin 5. I got a few pix and will post them over the weekend. Works excellent.

I have a slightly lower volume on the input with my JVC Sirius radio, but this has been true on other applications (Audi/VW), so expect it's the receiver.
good to see it working tom

also, for anyone else wanting to do this on a 95-97 LS400, the CD changer is wired directly to the Headunit, so the only places to cut into the wiring is either behind/under the CD changer or behind the headunit.

THE WIRING POSTED ABOVE IS FOR THE PLUG BEHIND THE CD CHANGER!!
Old 06-24-07, 05:46 PM
tnltracy
Driver School Candidate

Default 95-97 Install photos

I chose to go with a 4PDT relay with screw base which meant no soldering. I have tried in the past, and just cannot get a good solder, so this was a good option for me. Below are a few pix to illustrate how the install went.

I spliced the base in about a foot into the wiring from the CD Changer which provide for a) easy location to work with and b) a good location to house the relay. First pic shows the location in the wire where the relay is spliced in:

Next Pic shows the wired connections. One thing I got backwards, but then decided to leave it was the inputs from the CD and Aux. Turns out the unswitched connection is the top level and switched is the bottom level. Since I listen to Sirius most of the time I left it as the unswitched option:

I spliced the constant power from the CD player for the hot lead for the relay switch. You can see the splice in this pic:

Once it was all hooked up, I used some electrical tape to bind the relay to the base and wires. It doesn't sit in real tight, and probably would otherwise fall out over time. With the wires tucked back in the relay sits up behind the large storage area to the right of the CD Changer. YOu can see the bottom of the base/relay in the upper right of this pic:

Finally, I mounted the switch in the upper right small bin by the CD Changer. IN order to allow space for the wires I mounted it where the wires could run between the large bin and the CDC:

Total cost of my project was about $35 for the relay, base, switch and spade connectors to hook to the switch. Install time was about 3 hours, but I wasn't in a rush, and had previously removed the glove boxes to run the Sirius antenna wire.

Last edited by tnltracy; 06-24-07 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-24-07, 05:50 PM
strongsail
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Puredrifter, could you post the pinouts for the 99 SC4 with Nak?

It's much easier to get to the harness at the amp/cd changer stack in the trunk than to pull the console trim and get to the back of the head unit, so colors and pin numbers at the cd or the amp would be great.

I know making the connection in the trunk means a longer signal run from the mp3 player in the center console, but it's easy to pull power and shielded audio cable to the trunk.
Old 07-19-07, 12:47 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I might be asking too much but could someone draw me a wiring diagram for this?? and where should the switch between the RCA/CD Change go?? Somewhere between the CD changer and relay I would imagine...

off to frys for parts .
Old 07-19-07, 06:45 PM
contentryd
Driver School Candidate

pity this has to be done by bypassing the cd changer when my cd changer doesn't work...

can i bypass the TAPE player instead?
Old 07-26-07, 11:39 AM
cartechpr
Driver

has anyone found direct factory connectors to avoid splicing?

Anyways... on the 98 i can tap under the right seat right? power and ground is ONLY for activating the relay right? other than that?? cable for the ipod?

Thanks
Old 07-26-07, 12:10 PM
cartechpr
Driver

Will the SDStoyo work for the nakamichi ls400?
I do have an amp under the seat.

Thanks

Quick Reply: How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo