Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Special Interest Forums > Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo

Old 07-22-14, 11:40 AM   #736
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (2)

Conglomeratemotorworks

The 12V signal can come from any fused and switched 12V ignition source. The power for the amp or CD player for instance. its's purpose is to power the replay in order to allow it to switch from one pole to another.

Click the image to open in full size.

think of it this way....
once everything is hooked up as per the photo above and the instruction in the first post, the source connected to the normally closed pole on the relays will always be on, with or without the 12v source connected.

in order to switch the other source, you need to excite the relay with a closed circuit from the 12v and the ground. so by applying the 12V and ground it will switch to the other source.

the toggle switch allows you to manually select which source you want by either completing the 12V circuit and switching to the alternate source or by breaking that circuit and reverting back to the default source.

I have my AUX set as the default source and the CD player and the switched source, mainly because i never listen to CD's and i didn't see the point to having an energized relay going 24/7 while i'm in the car.

hope that helps
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

My LS400 Build Threadl
Follow me on Instagram: @Conglomeratemotorworks
Shmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-14, 08:35 AM   #737
nightrave
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmee View Post
The 12V signal can come from any fused and switched 12V ignition source. The power for the amp or CD player for instance. its's purpose is to power the replay in order to allow it to switch from one pole to another.
sorry, was on a long vacation! Thank you for the explanation, but where is the 12v source on the CD player/Amp? Which wire is it? I have searched through the web and am still clueless. I guess this is something very obvious, but I still can't get it The only picture I've found shows only the ACC, but AFAIK this means I can only use the circuit when the engine is on. Cannot find the BAT/B+ anywhere

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by nightrave; 08-24-14 at 09:09 AM..
nightrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-14, 06:10 PM   #738
msweber97
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

shajbot, thanks for the diagram and specs for the 93 ls400 tapped into the wires and works perfect!!
msweber97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-14, 06:10 PM

Tags
2004, 325i, 86120, add, auxillary, bmw, cable, hack, input, instructions, ipod, ls400, oem, radio, toyota, universal