Sponsored by:

Maybe I should...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-01, 04:29 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Maybe I should...

Write a book with Mean Gene's help on the details of GS (98+) installations. Wiring diagrams, pics of teardowns, power routing, etc. Sell it and have the proceeds go to ClubLexus. What do you guys think?

I was ballparking the cost at around 13 bucks a copy. LOADED with info. B&W stuff.

Percy
Old 11-16-01, 06:57 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that's a good idea. I bet even the non CL members will buy it for sure. You two should definitely write it and keep the proceeds.
Old 11-17-01, 03:53 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome idea!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-01, 08:02 AM
K10's-GS4
Driver

Excelllent idea Percy! That really would help so many of our members that are into audio/video upgrades. Keep us posted on this suggestion.
Old 11-21-01, 11:22 AM
sarkastro
Pole Position

I think it's an excellent idea, but how about tieing it into an extra portion of some of the paid members only forums here? That way, you can keep the production costs down, and kick the money back to Mike is a more direct way.
Old 11-24-01, 09:43 PM
Percy

Just started the "book" today. From the way it's going I was originally estimating 32 pages. Now it's probably 50+.

Percy
Old 11-25-01, 09:25 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THATS THE BEST IDEA EVER!!!

DUDE GET IT LIKE PRINTED PRO AND IN COLOR AND **** AND CHARGE LIKE 30BUCKS A BOOK MAN ID PAY COLOR AND HIGH RES IS AWSOME MAN ARE YOU GONNA EXPLAIN EVERYTHING? LIKE HEAD UNIT TWEETERS AND ALL THE SPEAKERS SUBS AND EVERYTHING???

THE BASICS OF AUDIO TOO RIGHT? AND LIKE HOW TO PICK A GOOD SPEAKER/SUB? IS THERE GONNA BE A LIST OF GOOD PRODUCTS??? WILL THERE BE INFO ON HOW TO PUT TVS IN? OH MAN IM EXCITED DUDE HOOK ME UP WITH THAT!!!!!
Old 11-25-01, 09:31 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, you can sign me up for a book like that!!
Old 11-25-01, 11:11 AM
Percy

Originally posted by LexusRules
THATS THE BEST IDEA EVER!!!

DUDE GET IT LIKE PRINTED PRO AND IN COLOR AND **** AND CHARGE LIKE 30BUCKS A BOOK MAN ID PAY COLOR AND HIGH RES IS AWSOME MAN ARE YOU GONNA EXPLAIN EVERYTHING? LIKE HEAD UNIT TWEETERS AND ALL THE SPEAKERS SUBS AND EVERYTHING???

THE BASICS OF AUDIO TOO RIGHT? AND LIKE HOW TO PICK A GOOD SPEAKER/SUB? IS THERE GONNA BE A LIST OF GOOD PRODUCTS??? WILL THERE BE INFO ON HOW TO PUT TVS IN? OH MAN IM EXCITED DUDE HOOK ME UP WITH THAT!!!!!
Sasha,

Dude...the run on sentences...they drive me nuts! Don't worry guys, the book won't be a run on. Anyways, I'm going to put what I know into the book. Have to check the costs of color printing, binding, etc. It's mostly a primer and the installation tips plus SQ stuff. Still have to contact Mean Gene for the SPL section if he wants to do it. As for putting TV's in, I can't really put that section in the book since I have no experience in that. Only the stuff that I've practically done will be in the book...and that's still quite a bit of information. The schematics will be hand drawn and reworked (I'll try to make them neat) so I won't step on any copyright issues with Lexus/Toyota. The basics and some advanced will be in there. Just have to get all the ideas together.

Any suggestions, let me know.

Percy
Old 11-25-01, 12:53 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Question SPL?

Master P - U want ME to do SPL?? Now what would I know about that kinda stuff??:eek: Maybe U mean my sons!! Seriously - let me know what U want me to input & how U want the data done.
Old 11-25-01, 01:21 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

sounds great. exactly what we need. sign me up for one.

when you think youll be done? i guess ill wait for that to come out before i start on my system..

thanks percy
Old 11-25-01, 03:22 PM
Percy

Default Re: SPL?

Originally posted by Mean Gene
Master P - U want ME to do SPL?? Now what would I know about that kinda stuff??:eek: Maybe U mean my sons!! Seriously - let me know what U want me to input & how U want the data done.
Gene,

Do you have Pagemaker 6.5 available? That's what I'm using. Otherwise you can type a e-mail and I'll cut and paste. I'm on page 14 so far and haven't even touched the surface of the good stuff.

Percy
Old 11-26-01, 08:53 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

sorry man, i was just really excited.

thanks for making this book for us. It is very appreciated by me and fellow clublexus members.

hahaha

Will you also put in stuff like how to take out the seats? and take out the rear sub and deck? stuff like that right? cool cool sounds awsome man!

let me know when you are done ok!
Old 11-26-01, 10:39 AM
Percy

Sasha,

I've just finished about 16 pages so far and I haven't yet started on the teardown procedures. It's mostly intro stuff dealing with the stock systems and their tuning. The good stuff comes along with the teardown instructions and some good pics.

I went over to Kinko's yesterday and they couldn't give me a pricelist...all out of them. So, as it stands for now, it'll be in B&W at 1200dpi resolution which should do pretty well for pictures. That's better resolution than most printers today which are at 600 dpi (four times more information at 1200 than at 600). As for the binding, I'll either leave it 3 hole punched with a folder or I can go all out and have it spiral done...sorta like the technical instruction books. Costs extra for the spiral though.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Percy
Old 11-26-01, 11:16 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

thanks dude, how many copies do you plan on making?

Quick Reply: Maybe I should...