Sponsored by:

aftermarket subs, crazy rattling

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 11:37 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default aftermarket subs, crazy rattling

hey all, i have an 06 IS350 with aftermarket JL's installed, 2 10" w3v3s (see link in sig). before installation, i already had a problem with distortion in the rear speakers, and they were replaced w/no difference. but anyway, after install, it sounds nice inside with the exception of that rear speaker distortion. outside of the car, the trunk rattles like crazy. when open it sounds fine, it's just when it's open, it's horrible. i had the trunk lid and quarter panels dynamatted w/not much change. now i took it to a shop to ask about dynamatting the entire trunk, but they said a lot of the rattling is coming from the bumper area and i would be wasting my money but they'd do it anyway if i wanted to. can anyone help? i usually listen to my music pretty loud when i drive and i know it sounds terrible to those than can hear it. i have my music on when cleaning my car too and it is terrible. thanks ahead.
Old 01-09-07, 11:57 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are you powering your subs with?

dynamat will help, only when you get into like 2 12W7's does your bumper truly rattle so bad you can't stop it.

We did a GTO with a single T212 running off of a Rockford T20001BD and we dynamatted the CRAP out of the trunk and the only thing that rattled on the car was the spoiler. You just need to have the person who's doing it do it right.

Where in CA are you located?
Old 01-10-07, 12:00 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

the subs are powered by a 500/1 amp. i also have a 300/4 for the stock stuff and a cleansweep. i'm in san diego... i have the dynamat material, it just seems like a PITA to take the whole setup out to dynamat the entire trunk...
Old 01-10-07, 12:03 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

well if you're truly going to get rid of that rattle, you should make sure that every piece of metal in your trunk is dynamatted. I mean around your tail lights and EVERYTHING. we used 16 sheets just in the trunk of that GTO alone. I probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 or so sheets in my trunk and I'm still not completely done with what I want to do. You may have to go double layer in some areas as well.

if you haven't done so, INVEST in one of the rollers or use the back of a screwdriver or something to make sure that you are covering every inch of the trunk.

no one ever said it was fun....that's why you usually pay someone else to do it
Old 01-10-07, 12:16 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

haha wow... 16 sheets? how does the trunk in the GTO or your car compare to the 2IS? the pack only comes with like 5 sheets? and double layers? how much weight is added... as if this car isn't heavy already... but i guess you gotta trade something. and idea on labor time? i don't wanna dish out too much money and i'm hoping it could get done in one day.
Old 01-10-07, 12:18 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

taken to the right shop it could be done in a day.

you probably got the trunk box. the bulk packs come with 9 sheets in them which should cover approx 36 sqft. I'm not too familiar with the trunk of the 2IS, but I would assume it's not terribly big, but not super small.

yes you are going to add some weight, but you've already added way more weight than you will with dynamat when you put your 2 10's in there
Old 01-10-07, 12:21 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

thanks a bunch for the help... i'm gonna call my usual shop tomorrow and find out how much. i think they'd be able to do it in a day... just gotta get enough dynamat and make sure they get every little bit covered.
Old 01-10-07, 12:25 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

sounds like a good idea. If not...just fork over the money for the dynamat.

take a saturday (or whatever a day you have off is)

get a case of beer

crack open the beer and comence dynamatting
Old 01-10-07, 12:32 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

haha no beer for me... i'm only 20.

and i can get the bulk pack of dynamat (9 sheets - 36 sq. ft.) for about $150-160 and i still have like 3 sheets left from the trunk pack. i'm just afraid of the labor costs...
Old 01-10-07, 08:09 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

are you sure it's not something outside the trunk that's rattling?

from their description, it sounds like something underneath the bumper cover that is the cause of rattles...?? might be worth pulling the cover off to inspect yourself before you go spending all this money dynamatting the trunk just to find out it's not in the trunk...
Old 01-10-07, 09:11 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

well now that i took out the stock sub, i can hear more rattling inside the cabin. that leads me to believe that i do need to dynamat the trunk. i can't think of anything outside the trunk that rattles, and besides, it sounds clean outside when the trunk is open.
Old 01-10-07, 09:15 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

both of those contribute to less output from the sub though... with the trunk open, the bass goes everywhere, and with the trunk closed, it is more confined...

even if you don't take the bumper cover off to inspect, I would still do some serious checking before going to that expense... I've seen wayyy too many people spend a ton of money on dynamatting everything in sight, to have just as bad of a rattle before, and it end up being the license plate, or something else stupid...
Old 01-10-07, 09:47 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I've seen wayyy too many people spend a ton of money on dynamatting everything in sight, to have just as bad of a rattle before, and it end up being the license plate, or something else stupid...
yeah, good point. i'll check the license plate later when i get the chance, but i can't think of anything else it would be. if its the license plate, it'd be great, but it sure sounds like way more than just that. and as for the increased rattling heard from inside the cabin?
Old 01-10-07, 03:51 PM
jayyyy
Driver

is the part where you took out your stock sub metal?
Old 01-10-07, 04:09 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by jayyyy
is the part where you took out your stock sub metal?
good point.... could be that thin metal that is now resonating that the sub is not there to stiffen it...

Quick Reply: aftermarket subs, crazy rattling