Sponsored by:

need help.. just hooked up my new RF 500.2 power amp

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-01, 08:34 PM
Mayur Patel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help.. just hooked up my new RF 500.2 power amp

i just got my new Rockford Fosgate 500.2 power amp. i installed it and after 25 minutes it turned off. it was burning hot. after i turned the car off, then turned it back on, the amp turned on as well. the amp is hooked up to a Rockford Fosgate RFD 2212 HX2 12" dvc sub. it is a dual 4 ohm sub. can u guys please give me any info on why the amp got too hot and why it turned off. i have been having bad luck with amps lately. please any input!!!!

mayur
Old 10-11-01, 08:59 PM
TX GS
Driver

Mayur,

Sorry to hear that...You have had some lousy luck.

Give as much detail as you can in terms of your installation procedure, location of the amp and how you wired it...
Old 10-11-01, 09:11 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How's It Wired?

Mayur - After all I went thru a few weeks ago with ya & this amp and you're still having probs?? Wish I wasn't working this weekend so I could meet everyone at the Dallas meet & fix it there but I know we have some qualified Member's who will be there as well. Sounds like a classic case of thermal protection shutdown. Where's the amp mounted - somewhere it can get some airflow? I still feel that it's a wiring problem. Best guess w/o seeing things is that your installer wired the 4 ohm voice coils in parallel ( now a 2 ohm load ) & then bridged the amp ( yielding a 1 ohm load ). I've got years of experience with RF amps & know that, while RF won't officially admit it, their amps will run into a single ohm load as long as they're kept cool & supplied with adequate input voltage. In fact, almost ANY amp will run into 1 ohm but then it becomes a question of "how long?". If the amp's in a good location for airflow & U've used appropriate sized power/ground wire ( 4 awg minimium ), then try rewiring the sub like this: Simply run each 4 ohm voice coil to each channel of the Power 500.2. This will give ya 125 wrms to each voice coil or a total of 250 wrms to the sub ( basically U now have a 4 ohm stereo load ). These figures will put U near the bottom of the HX2's recommended power rating ( 150-500 wrms ) but should alleviate the thermal load currently on the amp. Let me know how this works out for ya ( either via PM or a post ). Good luck!!
Old 10-11-01, 09:21 PM
Mayur Patel
Driver

i want to get the maximum amount of watts possible. i was running a Memphis Class D 500 watt amp before. and it never got hot nor did it shut down. it cranked the heck out of my speaker. the only thing i didn't like bout the amp was that it was not that clear as it would be wiht any other amp.

i have bridged the 500.2. the same connection i had with the memphis. so why in the world is this problem occurring?? maybe cause the left/right gain may be off???

i havent mounted the amp yet. its just laying in the right corner of the trunk. problems can occur b/c of mounting???

mayur
Old 10-11-01, 09:45 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Wiring Question - Again!

Mayur - So U've changed nothing except for swapping out the Memphis amp for the RF? Still like to know how the HX2's voice coils R wired because if they've been wired in series, there shouldn't be ANY problems because the bridged amp will see the same load with the identical 250 wrms as the scenario I suggested ya try. As far as mounting the amp goes; yes, it can make a difference but not in this case since it's just lying in the trunk. It could matter if it was stuck under a seat where there was no airflow. Typically, Class D & bd amps are designed for SPL so their signals aren't that clean because it doesn't really matter in SPL competition. The gains won't affect the amount of power the amp makes & they AREN'T, as lots of people think, "volume controls". They allow the flexibility to balance the various signals from different amps so that everything's fairly equal. Gonna have to go back to the size of your power/ground wires as well. If they're inadequate the amp's starving for voltage which will cause it to run hot - were U REALLY hammering it when it S/D? However, if all this worked with the Memphis amp, it's possible that U have a bad RF amp. Does the power wire get hot as well? I have a Power 500a2 ( mounted in the trunk ) running a pair of Diamond Audio 8" midbasses & it's never shut down. Keep us posted!