Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Alpine double DIN head unit in GS300.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-06, 11:29 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the blackbird is actually pretty good. but it no where near compares to their full navigation system
Old 11-20-06, 01:13 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chinkster
i heard the blackbird is not all that accurate?? i think i read it on club lexus somewhere...
The first batch of blackbirds did suffer from in accuracy (Sometimes about 100-150ft off) and slow reroute calcualting. However, from everything I read, the updated software available on Alpine's website has fixed those problems. Those that have done the update say it is now on par as other comparable competing units. Now, I don't know if you have to doanload the update from Alpine for every blackbird or if they are now loaded with new units shipped (That would make sense), or how to tell the difference since I don't have the unit yet.
Old 11-20-06, 05:59 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

The Blackbird had tremendous problems when they first came out but with the new software they are working awesome.

All my customer's that bought one when they first came out received an update disc from Alpine. All the new ones are coming with the new software already loaded into the units
Old 11-20-06, 11:59 PM
MMM
Rookie

Default Blackbird Portable Navigation System

AFAIK, the new updated Blackbirds that are shipping from Alpine are at $499 retail and have the model number PMD-B100T. The older ones do not have the "T" at the end. I guess the "T" stands for 'traffic.'

The newer Blackbirds calculate routes faster, and they got rid of the annoying "system rerouting" voice. It has a 90 day free trial of NAVTEQ Traffic RDS (yes, a built-in traffic receiver, unlike any other unit on the market except for the Garmin Nuvi 660 @ $999), and has an FM modulator to transmit MP3 and navi instructions to you car stereo.

And, of course, the big unique feature about Blackbird is the ability to connect to Alpine Multimedia Stations so that you can view, listen to, and control via touchscreen the Blackbird when docked. Undock it from your ride and take it into your girlfriends car when you need to go someplace with access to all of your addresses and 6 million other points of interest in your Blackbird. Very cool.

More info here: http://www.blackbirdav.com

mmm
Old 11-22-06, 11:20 AM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

thats a beautiful install bro!! wow!!!!
Old 11-22-06, 12:05 PM
Sc400on20s
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome installs!
Here's my install (local shop did it for me)
I am currnetly running my Ipod with KCA-420i and it works great! but I am thinking of upgrading to the NVE but does anyone know if you if you can run the video portion (Ipod video) through the NVE like the Clarion unit?
Old 11-24-06, 02:59 PM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by treimche
You find the 2 plugs that come out of the factory amp behind the glove box, and then use a Toyota wiring harness, extend the wires a couple feet and connect them to the harness for the head unit. The only wire that wasn't in those 2 factory amp plugs was a switched +12v, but that can be found in the factory radio harness.
Where did you get that amp harness from?
Do you have any pics / details of it?
Old 11-25-06, 03:58 AM
chinkster
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you get it at any car audio store. best buy and circuit city has it for sure. its just a regular toyota harness holmes. just ask for a regular toyota harness and they will know what you are talking about.
Old 12-10-06, 10:34 PM
URDONE
Lexus Test Driver

Very clean looking.
Old 01-06-07, 01:19 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

So the kit from Bestkits.com makes it fit just like that, there was no custom work done?

Do you know if I can retain the factory amp, speakers, and sub? Are there kits or converters that I need to buy?
Old 01-06-07, 06:02 PM
treimche
Driver

Here is a link to Best Kits website that shows a pic of the dash kit that I used: http://www.bestkits.com/SearchResult...998%20-%202006. Click on the link for the pic. The part number for the dash kit is BKLXSK1315. Here's a link to the wiring harness that I used: http://www.bestkits.com/ViewImage.as...=i/BHA1761.jpg. The harness part number is BHA-1761, which is just a standard Toyota harness.

So the kit from Bestkits.com makes it fit just like that, there was no custom work done?
The only custom work I did was dye the dash kit to match the factory plastic, since the dash kit comes black.

Do you know if I can retain the factory amp, speakers, and sub? Are there kits or converters that I need to buy?
Using that harness I posted actually bypasses the factory amp, which unfortunately makes you lose the sub, but the rest of the factory speakers work great. The only extra part you will want is this awesome little module called a PTR7, or PACTR7. This piece sends the signals to the head unit that it needs to see to allow you to watch dvds while driving.

Last edited by treimche; 01-06-07 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-06-07, 08:20 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by treimche
Here is a link to Best Kits website that shows a pic of the dash kit that I used: http://www.bestkits.com/SearchResult...998%20-%202006. Click on the link for the pic. The part number for the dash kit is BKLXSK1315. Here's a link to the wiring harness that I used: http://www.bestkits.com/ViewImage.as...=i/BHA1761.jpg. The harness part number is BHA-1761, which is just a standard Toyota harness.

The only custom work I did was dye the dash kit to match the factory plastic, since the dash kit comes black.

Using that harness I posted actually bypasses the factory amp, which unfortunately makes you lose the sub, but the rest of the factory speakers work great. The only extra part you will want is this awesome little module called a PTR7, or PACTR7. This piece sends the signals to the head unit that it needs to see to allow you to watch dvds while driving.
Is there anyway possible to retain the factory subwoofer? If I lose the factory amp, then how do the door speakers work? New head unit power?
Old 01-06-07, 09:34 PM
owali
Driver

Yes, if you loose the factory amp you could just wire the speakers directly to the new HU or get a separate amp for mid range speakers. I just put in a D1 and used it to power mid range and got a separate amp to push a new 10" sub i put in to replace the stock sub.
Old 01-06-07, 09:51 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by owali
Yes, if you loose the factory amp you could just wire the speakers directly to the new HU or get a separate amp for mid range speakers. I just put in a D1 and used it to power mid range and got a separate amp to push a new 10" sub i put in to replace the stock sub.
What sub did you use? Is it using the factory mounting location and everything? Will headunit power be alright for the factory door speakers?
Old 01-07-07, 02:00 AM
treimche
Driver

Originally Posted by Aristo300
What sub did you use? Is it using the factory mounting location and everything? Will headunit power be alright for the factory door speakers?
Using the head unit to power the stock speakers is just fine, they actually sound pretty good.

I don't remember what the impedance is on the stock sub, but you might be able to use an aftermarket amp to run the stock sub if you were opposed to losing it. It is recommended to run an aftermarket sub.

Quick Reply: Alpine double DIN head unit in GS300.