Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Percy, just got my MACS!! Need some info on the X-overs (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-01, 11:40 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Percy, just got my MACS!! Need some info on the X-overs (Long)

I just got my MCC444 todays....they discontinued it and replaced it with the MCC404 which retails $700 more!!! I called Mcintosh and said that the new 404's had a much beefier power supply and sophisticated x-overs....i'm lucky i got the last one or else i would've had to pay so much more.....

Now I'm looking for the Mcintosh EQ's....but before I get it I just want to make sure a few things....

My system now is basically an Alpine moniter (head unit), the 4 channel amp, first two channels going to a set of sys240 mkII (I have no rear fill), and the other two channels bridged to a sub.
I would like to get the 2 channel 6 band EQ (MEQ451) and put it in the MEN455.....
From what I have seen on the crappy mcintosh website is that it is a 2 channel three way cross over. Now my question is this....All I really need is a low pass filter for my subs and a high pass signal going to my components.....Could I get that from the MEN455? Cuz my impression of a 3 way x-over is a highpass for the tweets , a band pass x-over for the mids, and a low pass for the subs.....If this is the case, then I can only use the low pass for the subs and not the HP since what I really need is a High Pass signal at about 80 Hz ....not the high pass designed for the tweets which will be at the lowest around 2000 Hz....It seems like the only way around this is if I get a separate 2 channel amp, ditch the passive x-overs, and run each driver to each channel of the amp..(2 tweets and 2 woofers into the 4 ch amp and run the other amp mono for the sub) ....then I can use the HP for the MD100, the BP for teh MD160, and the LP for the subs.....but I would prefer not to do it this way since I'll have to buy another amp....

The website described the MEN455 as haveing a sub lowpass, low lowpass, low highpass, mid highpass, mid lowpass, high highpass, full highpass.....I'm just not sure what all this means....is the "3-way" the low, mid, and high pass?

Basically all I'm asking is whether or not I can integrate the 2 channel 3 way crossover (MEN455) into my setup without having to add an additional amplifier.

Also, could you briefly describe how you're running your MC4000M? You're running one of the 300 watt channel into your 10 inch Vels (unfortunately I have no idea where to find those anymore) but you're also using a pair of components and rear fill without a passive x-over right? Where did the extra 2 channel come from? do you have an extra amp or are you running the speakers in parallel?

And when we're running 1 channel to one of the components is it actually seeing a 2 ohm load (4ohms from tweeter and 4 ohms from woofer)?

Sorry this is so long but any help would be appreciated
Thanks!!
Andrew
Old 09-30-01, 12:49 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Andrew,

First of all, congrats on the the Mc amp! Built like a tank and it sounds great! As for the MEN455 question, you'll have to buy another amp. But, since most of the music is in the mid and treble you can get away with a not so expensive amp for the bass. Or if you wanted to go overkill, you can go for the Mc monoblock 300 watt amp. 300 watts into 4 ohms, 500 watts into 2 ohms, conservatively rated.

There is another way to get around this but you'll have to run the "high fullpass" output. You get to keep the stock crossover in place though and it runs the sys240 Dyns as a complete set. So basically, the only thing you'll be affecting is where the low frequencies will start for the Dyns. But if you want them all active and with full control you'll need to run a seperate amp.

The MC4000M that I'm running is configured to run midbass and sub only. That is, 200 wpc for the MW160 (fronts) and the other 300 watt channel for the Velodyne DF12sc (the 12 inch, not the 10!) while the other 300 watt channel isn't connected. I have an additional MC440M amp for running the rear speakers and the tweeters, all of which will see 100wpc. It's a 6 channel amp configured for 4 channel operation.

The MEN455 is considered 4 way since it will have a sub and low section, a mid and a high. The only difference between the MEN456 and the 455 is that the 455 is a 2 channel xover.

"The website described the MEN455 as haveing a sub lowpass, low lowpass, low highpass, mid highpass, mid lowpass, high highpass, full highpass.....I'm just not sure what all this means....is the "3-way" the low, mid, and high pass? "

Sub lowpass...At the frequency selected, all information below this point will be passed. Selectable from 50 to 250hz.

Low lowpass...Same description as above but at a wider range, this being from 200 to 630hz.

Mid lowpass. Info from 500hz to 5khz will be passed below the selected point.

Low pass filters will allow lower frequencies to be passed.

Highpass filters are the "bottom" of the cutoff curve. Anything above the selected point will be passed and are the exact opposite of the lowpass filters.

What is the 444 rated for?

Percy
Old 09-30-01, 04:15 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

Thanks Percy,
I knew what all pass, high, low, and bandpass filters are, ...what I was wondering was what the differences with the low high pass, the mid high pass and the full high pass.....Your suggestion to go full high pass with my components and the sub lowpass was what I was thinking....but what's the difference between the full high pass (50Hz-630Hz), the mid high pass (again 50Hz-630Hz), and low high pass (50-160Hz) ...with the low high pass I get a narrower range but the other two are the exactly the same .....If I wanted to cross my Dyns (w/ passive crossover) at 80 Hz would all of them be applicable? If that could work out then I'll probably run it like that temporarily before I get another amp....It looks like with the extra amp I could have COMPLETE control off all my woofers with this flexible crossover.....

Do you know what the monoblock is retailed at? I might just get a MCC222 and bridge that to get 220 watts for my sub...

How are you fitting your amps in your trunk? the MCC4000M
is a GIGANTIC amp....it looks like you'll have to sacrifice access to your spare tire or use actuators but still....that's gotta be a ***** to install....

As for my amp, the MCC444 is rated at 4x110.....

Thanks
Andrew
Old 09-30-01, 08:22 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The full high pass is just that. Everything set at a certain point higher than the setting is passed. The low highpass and mid highpass wouldn't work as they're topped out by the low and mid low pass filters. Even with the mid lowpass, you're regulated to a max of 5khz. The high highpass wouldn't do well either since it's starting at 500hz. The Low lowpass filter will top you out at 630 hz.

In other words you can have the following...
midrange from 50 to 5khz, low range from 50 to 630hz, high range from 500hz to 5khz or (the correct way) full highpass from 50hz (or whatever you want to set it at) to 20khz. The passive xovers with the Dyns will work well with this setting.

The MC4000M is a HUGE amp, some 4 feet across by 12 inches if I remember correctly. Shipping weight is rated for 70 pounds (with packaging) but I've lightened up the amp by removing the back plate. It's still insulated due to the hardboard it's mounted on. From last measurement, it weighed in at around 35 pounds. Still no lightweight but it's better than the 70 pound full packaging shipping weight!

Percy
Old 10-01-01, 12:01 AM
amlin423
Pole Position

Hmmm...so it's just like setting the bandwidth of a bandpass x-over right? Great....that should do it....Thanks Percy!! I'll definitely get it then with the MCC222...

Andrew