Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd go with the AVN7000 all the way
Old 06-26-06, 07:58 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 88supramki
i'd go with the AVN7000 all the way

What the difference btw N3 and AVN7000. That's probably a dumb question but I am totally clueless to this navigation scence. the only difference i know is that 7000 has HDD. Please tell me more.
Old 06-26-06, 09:28 PM
GSspeed
Lead Lap

Okay, well i went to an eclipse authorized dealer in Chino, CA, the guy advised me that the z1 with the e-brake mod to try to allow functions while the car is moving will not work because there is a speed sensor that will show that the car is moving, he also said that it may be by passed if the HU uses the auxilary video to be looped back in so that you can play dvds while driving to trick the unit thats its displaying it to the rear monitors. and he said that the blue tooth is not that great, and also the xm traffic has a huge delay, so if you are going to be in traffic is to late,,,, this is all he a said, soooooooo, i dunno what to do

pros for Z1
7" screen
Bluetooth
XM traffic / Music
Ipod
HD
Voice Recognition (mic included)
smart algorythm for routing
Rear Camera

Pros for AVN 6600
6.5 " screen
Buttons on sides
easy plug in play
Sirus
IPod
2 CD drives
Rear Camera
HD Radio Ready

So in comparison, the Z1 has alot more features, but, the AVN has buttons on the side which allows easier access to controls,

So i am still confused as far as what is good.....

now i hear that the nav system with HDD is more accurate than a CD, so here is another hurdle in the race to find the best NAVI unit
Old 06-26-06, 11:08 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

the Z1 has a bypass, you can either do something like a TR-7 with a three pulse setting or you can flick the headlights on and off three times.

kinda lame if you ask me. Eclipse, all you have to do is ground the parking wire (been that way FOREVER)

The HDD is more accurate in the sense that it basically walks you to the door, and alerts you that you have reached your destination at the property line. The DVD based navi will alert you that you have reached your destination 500ft before you are there, you can still pay attention to the screen and it will count down the number of feet remaining but the voice guidance will be done.

don't know many of the specs on the N3, mainly because we're not a pioneer dealer. we can get them we just don't carry them all the time. the AVN7000 i deal with on a daily basis, along with the AVN5495, AVN5500(AVN5435) and AVN6600 (my personal one)
Old 06-27-06, 09:55 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

GSspeed, just like you, I did not have any experience with Navigation systems before I got my AVIC-D1.

After having lived with the D1 now for roughly two weeks - I find it extremely effective and useful for what I need it for - basic navigation, decent Head Unit.

You can also buy it for less than half the cost of the Z1 or the 6600 on ebay brand new as it is last years model. The fact that it is last years model is not that big a deal as Pioneer has released a DVD update disc that updates the firmware and basically upgrades it to the latest model AVIC-D2 and ofcourse the latest maps.

What do you lose to the Z1 and 6600?

1. Voice recognition - I have read reviews on the Z1 (could not find any objective review the 6600) about this feature and it is not that great

2. Hard Drive - this is mainly for the storage of MP3's. Yes this is a convenience, but for half the price of the Z1 (if you buy the D1), is it really worth it? Not to me it isn't.

3. Navigation accuracy? I don't buy the argument that the HD based navigation is more accurate than the dvd version. It just does not make any sense why that would be the case.

Conclusion:
Get the D1 for less than $900.00, and forgo the nifty voice recognition and hard drive upgrades that the Z1 offers.
Old 06-27-06, 10:13 AM
GSspeed
Lead Lap

88supramki

okay, where can i get the TR-7
is that the only mod, are there some other ones, i was reading on the other treads, that there is a sticker some where that if you pull it off and solder 2 contacts together tht it will work, but voids warrantee.
i dont think the tr-7 voids warrantees right, it sounds like the tr-7 goes inline with some other wires, which does the 3 light flash thing..

Hameed,
thx for the input, well i found that teh z1 is being sold for 1400 bucks new, so i thnk the extra 500 or 400 bucks is worth the options, in my opinion, i just want a good system that will last me the length of the car, and not be so out dated like a pc. hahaha
Hameed, according to your pics, you made custom mounts for the doors when you got new speakers, cause its not sounding good, right. did u trace the nak enclosures or did you just coem up with the design by your self,
Sorry if im asking toooooo much quesitons, i dont want to get into something that i cant get out of. i prob can manage but its prob gonna be half A$$ed , and i dont want to do that
Old 06-27-06, 10:58 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by GSspeed
Hameed,
thx for the input, well i found that teh z1 is being sold for 1400 bucks new, so i thnk the extra 500 or 400 bucks is worth the options, in my opinion, i just want a good system that will last me the length of the car, and not be so out dated like a pc. hahaha
The D1 is only one year older than the Z1 - so it is not that "old" to begin with.

Hameed, according to your pics, you made custom mounts for the doors when you got new speakers, cause its not sounding good, right. did u trace the nak enclosures or did you just coem up with the design by your self,
Sorry if im asking toooooo much quesitons, i dont want to get into something that i cant get out of. i prob can manage but its prob gonna be half A$$ed , and i dont want to do that
I traced the outline of the stock mounts on MDF board to make mine.
Old 06-27-06, 11:42 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW, nobody has mentioned one of the big problems with the HDD on the Z1 - last I checked, unless people have "cracked" this, you can't rip anything but actual store bought CD's (no MP3's, and no ripped CD's). For me, this makes the hard drive pretty worthless..I'd rather just use an iPod with an adapter at that point.
Old 06-27-06, 12:02 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

the TR-7 can be bought from local stereo shops it's by a company called PAC.

Periphral makes a piece that's exactly like it as well. There's another bypass out there too i think .
Old 06-27-06, 03:05 PM
GSspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by High PSI
BTW, nobody has mentioned one of the big problems with the HDD on the Z1 - last I checked, unless people have "cracked" this, you can't rip anything but actual store bought CD's (no MP3's, and no ripped CD's). For me, this makes the hard drive pretty worthless..I'd rather just use an iPod with an adapter at that point.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!
are you serious, last i heard, was that people can make audio cds, and record them on the z1 while it plays becaues it does it in real time, so you cant just put it in and expect it do dl in like 5 min.

if thats the case, then i dunno im gonna do with the hd, cause i dont buy CDs anymore, opps
Old 06-27-06, 05:34 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

it should rip in real time, regardless of whether it's a bought or not cd. it just doesn't rip mp3's off of a data disc. the AVN5495 is the exact same way
Old 06-27-06, 05:55 PM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

GSspeed,

Go to avic411.com and check out the DVD bypass on there.......
Old 06-28-06, 04:49 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Originally Posted by 88supramki
it should rip in real time, regardless of whether it's a bought or not cd. it just doesn't rip mp3's off of a data disc. the AVN5495 is the exact same way
I'm almost positive that it checked to make sure the CD's were authentic....I read this on the avic411.com site.

Regardless, you're saying it rips CD's in WAV format?? Won't be holding too much audio on that 10gig hard drive.
Old 06-28-06, 05:21 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Ok, well I did a little more research. While it says in the manual and on crutchfield.com that you cannot rip anything but an authentic, original CD - you can. It's apparently just Pioneer watching their *** on copyright crap.

However, I'm still pretty sure it'll convert them into wav files, which still sucks.
Old 06-28-06, 09:09 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread....keep it going

Quick Reply: It Has To Be The Best!!!!!!!!!