20.74%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

It Has To Be The Best!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-06, 12:50 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the hard drive navigation has been proven to be more accurate than the dvd navi. we did lots of research on it because we had a complaining old couple who basically wanted the navigation to walk you to the door. the dvd based navigation will say "you have reached your destination, your route guidance is now finished" 500ft before you actually get to where you said you wanted to go. The Hard drive navi will tell you pretty much right at the property line that you have reached your destination.
the DVD system is done by Denon i think and the HDD system is done by Navtech....but don't quote me. I just know that they're done by two different companies
Well we can agree to disagree because from my experience the dvd or hdd has nothing to do with the accuracy of the navi. Now I could be wrong but I am pretty confident.
Alos the maps are made by either TeleAtlas or Navtech, Alpine uses Navtech and Pioneer uses TeleAtlas.
Old 06-16-06, 12:51 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Johnny, if you plan on the Pioneer, read up on all the stuff here: http://www.avic411.com/forum/

Lots of interesting info, the good & bad from users!
Old 06-16-06, 01:02 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexis11
Well we can agree to disagree because from my experience the dvd or hdd has nothing to do with the accuracy of the navi. Now I could be wrong but I am pretty confident.
Alos the maps are made by either TeleAtlas or Navtech, Alpine uses Navtech and Pioneer uses TeleAtlas.

Agreed 100%. the only benefit I can see from a nav hard drive is that it may pull up your POI's faster. But that has nothing to do with accuracy.
Old 06-16-06, 01:22 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

actually it does.....but you can believe what you want to believe.

would you like the number to eclipse tech so you can ask them personally?

the HDD and DVD are different in accuracy.
Old 06-18-06, 06:16 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LXOGOOD
Johnny, if you plan on the Pioneer, read up on all the stuff here: http://www.avic411.com/forum/

Lots of interesting info, the good & bad from users!

Thanks dude!! Seems like this is the best price $1479

http://www.sbhcorp.com/scripts/homeViewItem-1565.html

anymore input fellas
Old 06-18-06, 06:55 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

the Z1 is a good unit. we just put one in for a customer. i really liked the integrated bluetooth kit.

all in all it's very similar to the eclipse units navigation wise.

it has a long startup though, which got old pretty quickly.
Old 06-18-06, 08:26 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 88supramki
the hard drive navigation has been proven to be more accurate than the dvd navi. we did lots of research on it because we had a complaining old couple who basically wanted the navigation to walk you to the door. the dvd based navigation will say "you have reached your destination, your route guidance is now finished" 500ft before you actually get to where you said you wanted to go. The Hard drive navi will tell you pretty much right at the property line that you have reached your destination.

trust me, i had to do quite a few driving tests to make sure that this info was accurate.

the DVD system is done by Denon i think and the HDD system is done by Navtech....but don't quote me. I just know that they're done by two different companies
I have a hard time believing that this difference is due to hard drive vs. DVD, and not different headunits themselves, or different versions of the Nav database. It also IS very INSTALL-dependent. There are many GPS satellites - depending how many your system can receive, this determines how accurate the system is in locating things. Where you mount the GPS antenna makes a big difference.
BTW, Denon does not make any navigation software. It is all done by two main companies - Navteq and TeleAtlas.
It should make absolutely no difference whether your Nav data resides on the harddrive or the DVD - the POI database and the ability to geolocate to an address, or latitude/longitude point, remains the same. What makes the difference is the resolution of what you are getting out of the sky - and that is antenna-dependent. This is one reason why GPS antennas for your Nav should not be mounted inside the car (check the instructions that came with your Nav unit if you don't believe me).

BTW, my vote goes to the Eclipse AVN6600. Double DIN, all-in-one. Sirius and iPod adapter available.

Jerry.
Old 06-18-06, 08:29 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by 88supramki
actually it does.....but you can believe what you want to believe.

would you like the number to eclipse tech so you can ask them personally?

the HDD and DVD are different in accuracy.
Anyone know Japanese?
Old 06-18-06, 10:19 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Eclipse may be "made" in japan but their home offices are right here in beautiful So Cal.

1-800-233-2216 Option 4 Option 3 ... see what they have to say about it

the difference between the HDD and DVD is due to different companies making each system. and we tested the two units in the same exact car, due to the couple coming back because it wasn't accurate enough for them.

I'll say it again, i love my AVN6600 unfortunately my city isn't a "metropolis" so i haven't been able to experience the newest aspect of the navigation yet
Old 06-19-06, 05:05 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Me thinks I might need a poll...for some reason the pioneer speaks to me

someone help
Old 06-19-06, 05:09 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

in the end it's going to come down to personal preference.

i've used eclipse since i started using car stereos, i love them and always have.

pioneer makes a good product, but my personal preference goes to eclipse.

my suggestion to you is to go to your local car audio shop and play with both of them and see what you like best. that's gonna be the best way to determine what you're going to like. not just a bunch of people talking about them on the internet
Old 06-19-06, 05:29 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

^ very good advice...

You said you installed both ..how hard is install...This would be going into a 97 Q45 with the stock Bose system
Old 06-19-06, 05:45 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Johnny,
Won't be easy to integrate either one of them with a stock Bose system, or stock system of any kind.
The install is straightforward if you are replacing the whole system - you get a dash kit, wire in the headunit, run the RCA lines to amps, run the amps to speakers. If you're going to tap into a stock system you'll need some adapters, and the install is not easy to get right. I suggest having a qualified shop do it, no matter which one you pick. Or just chuck the whole Bose system, put in new amps and new speakers and call it a day.
Old 06-19-06, 06:19 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

damn Jerry really...ok, well, SOUNDSTREAM here I come

I change headunit and speakers and then it's straight forward..you know I always like to try and DIM(do-it-myself)
Old 06-19-06, 07:07 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by engin_ear
Johnny,
Won't be easy to integrate either one of them with a stock Bose system, or stock system of any kind.
The install is straightforward if you are replacing the whole system - you get a dash kit, wire in the headunit, run the RCA lines to amps, run the amps to speakers. If you're going to tap into a stock system you'll need some adapters, and the install is not easy to get right. I suggest having a qualified shop do it, no matter which one you pick. Or just chuck the whole Bose system, put in new amps and new speakers and call it a day.
^^^

pretty much sums it up right there

do yourself a favor and just chuck the bose system. they're great for home audio, but crappy for car audio especially among the younger crowd because many of us like to upgrade our systems and bose doesn't like that.

Quick Reply: It Has To Be The Best!!!!!!!!!