Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

upgrading factory head unit

Old 09-24-01, 01:28 PM
arcwelder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrading factory head unit

O.K. This subject has probably been beat to death. But can I replace the factory head unit in my 2002 IS300, and still use the factory speakers? Isn't there a factory amp or something? I dont want to bypass one if its there. It sounds pretty good. I just want to add some subs. And someone at Sound Advice told me that only a few amps will work with my stock stereo, Xtant and JL audio. I have two Xtant 12's from my previous system. So if someone could recomend an amp I would appreciate it!
Old 09-25-01, 07:23 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What head unit are you using? If it's one with an amp built in you'll have to run some wires to the speakers. If memory serves me correct, the stock wiring harness has to go through an amp and then it gets to the speakers. You'll want to bypass this and go to the speakers directly.

The factory speakers...change those first. Don't know the exact sizes as the IS300 owner in the family never let me take apart his car for a stereo upgrade!

Whoever told you that only a few amps would work is full of crap. You can use ANY amp out there, it just depends if you need one with a built in line level converter (can use stock head unit/amp and then route to aftermarket amp) or one without a built in LLC. (90% of the amps are without LLC's) With an aftermarket head unit, you'll need one without an LLC.

Percy
Old 09-25-01, 09:07 AM
arcwelder
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks!