Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Replaced 2 15's with 1 12"!! Impressions....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-01, 10:52 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced 2 15's with 1 12"!! Impressions....

Wednesday, I went to my local stereo shop looking for some better bass in my GS. I was running 2 15" Kicker Comp VR subs with an 800watt Power Technique Amp... The 15's were just TOO BULKY and the box was TOO SMALL which made the sound a little distorted... It did BOOM tho....

I picked up a NEW Kicker L7 12" sub with a custom box. The box is SO TINY!! I could fit 2 or maybe 3 subs on the rear shelf with the box being as small as it is!! However the sound, AWESOME!! It's incredibly CLEAN and VERY LOUD!! That 1 12" hits WAY harder than my 2 15's did. It really amazed me.

I kept the same amp cuz it runs 800watts and the sub can take it... I'm thinking of getting a new amp to push it even harder!!

I would DEFINATELY recommend getting an L7 sub if you are in the market for more bass. If you are willing to spend a good price on a STRONG amp you will hit HARD!! You will need a high wattage amp to push this bad boy!! It's EXTREMELY heavy and well built!! My installer was telling me how he sqeezed a 148 db out of 1, yes 1, 15" L7!!

In the future I will be running 2 12" L7's with 1000watt amp to EACH SUB!! Good news is that it will ALL FIT on that ledge!! TRUNK SPACE GALORE!
Old 09-20-01, 11:42 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Good Update!

Justin - Man, what happened to the six 15's we were gonna run?? Thanks for the headsup on the L7's - those are the newer ones, right? My only problem with them were that the first generation L7's had durability problems but I recall you checking with Kicker & they told ya that they had corrected that ( or am I having another senior moment? ). Percy & I don't like them from an SQ standpoint but I've always said they'd slam! :eek: Needing a bigger amp is also typical of Kicker's competition stuff - powerful but inefficient but that really describes almost any SPL woofer. Keep us updated on what U finally end up with & what kinda pressure U generate with a pair of them. If I could win the lottery, I'd get the new IS3 hatchback ( man, that's one sharp ryde! ) & fill it full of either the L7 or JL's new W7 ( haven't heard that one yet but hope my friend get a few in his shop by early next month ). I'm sure someone will beat me to that project - kinda like a high dollar Civic hatchback except better designed/built.
Old 09-20-01, 12:25 PM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL

Gene,

Thanks for the post AND all the help the past few months!! I did talk to Kicker and MANY installers and Kicker has fixed the problems they were having!! So you aren't having another senior moment!! Maybe a midlife crisis tho since you THINK you're gettin old!! LOL They are SPL woofers but that's EXACTLY what I want... Hey, I'm still young

By Christmas I am HOPING to have everything I want as far as the system goes done...

~Pioneer AVM-P9000R 7" Fully Motorized Monitor w/ built in DVD/VCD/CD player
~2 12" Kicker L7's in Custom Enclosure
~I'm not sure what fr/rr speakers? Dyn's maybe if I got the money... Maybe Diamond Audio?
~Headrest tv's
~PS2

It sure would be nice to just win the lottery and get it all done this week!!

P.S. I have thought about the hatchback a lot!! I saw one on the road the other day and I LOVED IT!! I will turn it into an SPL MACHINE!! Wanna loan me $35g's to buy it??