Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

MEAN GENE---I need your HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-01, 06:00 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on getting the TV's in the headrest ASAP. Tell me, since I know that you are experienced in this area, what TV's should I go for. What I mean is, what brands, and/or sizes??? What would you suggest???

I know that is a broad question, because there are so many TV's available!!!! I got the whole Pioneer setup for the front unit, but now I need the headrests. I am leaning towards the Pioneer AVD W6000, which is the 6.5 inch widescreen LCD's, but the cheapest I can get those is $530.00 a piece. I just saw a GS400 with the Kenwood 7 inch widescreen LCD's installed, and it looked nice.

What price should I pay around to get those installed? Is $150 per headrest too much, because some people are telling me that it is.

Any suggestions or comments will help a lot.

Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 09-07-01, 08:14 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Lots of Options!

AP - I used a 6.5" monitor from Santeca for my headrest project. If U look back at an earlier post about headrest screens, U'll see what I had to say about most brands internals being manufactured by Santeca & then putting their name on the outside ( Alpine, Pioneer, et al ). Really, the quality is gonna be the same ( good ) no matter whose name's on the outside. That said, some people like to have the same name visible on all their equipment so if that's important to ya, then stay with Pioneer. Something I discovered was the lack of visibility at certain angles ( or so I was informed by my 9 year old daughter! ). Accelevision makes a monitor that swivels 15 degress either way but I think it's only available in a 5.6" size &, IMO, that'll look too small in the bulky GS headrest. The 6.5" is sweet & a 7" ( unavailable at the time I did mine ) would be about as far as I'd take it ( pretty much fill up the whole rest ). The price on the Pioneer doesn't seem bad if is a all-in-one unit ( built-in amp with headphone jack? ). As far as installation goes, if $150 includes mounting the monitor & running the A/V cable to the multimedia unit ( requires fishing the cable thru the seat - I took my seat completely out to do this & install the groumets top/bottom ), I don't think that's out of line, depending on where U live. The actual monitor placement's simple & only requires an Exacto knife & tape measure as well as a good installation kit ( that should be available from the same manufacturer of the monitor U choose ). In fact, there was an article in some stereo magazine recently on how to do this but I'm having another senior moment - will try & track it down for ya if U want to try it yourself. Steve Ganz hooked me up with a spare headrest in case I screwed up ( this was my first headrest install & I didn't!! ) but they run $350/each.:eek: Might still have it - what color's your interior if you're interested? Of course U'll get my famous CL discount!!
Old 09-07-01, 09:09 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gene,
First, I would like to thank you for the prompt reply. I have decided to go with the Pioneer widescreen's for the headrest. Just like you said, I think that would give a nice look in that Bulky headrest. I really don't care if it is has the same names, but the Pioneer screens do like nice.

Also, do you think that the factory speakers will be ok with the Pioneer brain. At least for now that is. I got the AVM P8000r, so until I can scrape up some more money to replace the inside speakers, I can see what to do.

Thanks for the help
Old 09-07-01, 11:56 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up OK For Now

AP - No problem on the reply - that's what Percy & I ( and others ) R here for! I'm sure U know how almost ALL the Members feel about the factory speakers ( gotta go! ) but I also know about budgeting & cash flow ( or LACK of!!:eek: ). Just save up for some high end components - U know the Board favorites of DynAudio; Diamond Audio; Focal & Boston Acoustic, plus there R a few more out there. Then U'll really get into the multimedia experience, especially if U're running thru some form of 5.1 Dolby processing. Enjoy & pass the popcorn!!