Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Wiring line outs from headunit direct to RCA? Done that...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-01, 12:08 PM
captclam
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Well, I followed the pinouts offered earlier this month on this forum by 933005spd and used that to wire RCA plugs directly from the head unit.

I took a 12' set of RCA cables and cut them in the middle. I took the bare ends and striped them back revealing lots of bare wire and a little shielded wire in the middle. I took all the bare wire and soldered it to the signal ground that was on pin 10 (right next to pin 11 which was ground).

I then stripped a bit of the shield off off the front right and front left wires and connected them to the FR and FL wires from the head unit connector leading to the amp. (pins 1 and 2 respectively)

I did the same for the rear leads with another cable, yielding me a set of front and rear RCA line outs from the head unit.

IT ACTUALLY WORKS!! Without line converters... here is the catch though...

I am not sure all is well. When I have 2 amps connected if I turn the gain up on one amp all the way, it lowers the gain on the other amp to NOTHING!! WHAT IS UP WITH THAT?? It seems like I have to have both at the center to have it work right...

Do I have something miswired??

Please advise.

(on a side note, I have outputs on one of the amps, a JVC. If I connect another amp and use the outputs on the JVC amp the additional amp works great, but the JVC amp stop working until I unplug the output RCAs. Very messed up, huh?? Any Gurus out there??

Kirkus Stupidious