Sponsored by:

Mac Mini In 1993 Sc300

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-06, 09:26 AM
ski4life9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mac Mini In 1993 Sc300

I was recently given a 1993 SC300 by my father as a college graduation present. I am computer enthusiast and I have been blown away by some of the mac mini installs I have seen online. I want to install a mac mini in my SC300, but here's the catch... I have absolutely no experience with car stereos, electronics, etc. The good news is that I am smart, motivated, and have all the time in the world.

I have browsed every mac mini install I could find online. I am ready to start ordering parts.. my only problem is that I don't know how I want to do it. I am looking for advice from people who have replaced the stock stereo head unit in an SC, people who have installed aftermarket touch screens, and anybody else with good advice.

I would like the Mac Mini to run my GPS, MP3's (Itunes), Movies, and DVD's. My mac will have wi-fi and bluetooth so some internet access will be available and I'm considering some sort of bluetooth connection to make it more available. (that can be done later though)

My first decision is where I will install the screen. I am leaning towards a touchscreen so I don't have to use a wireless mouse. I would love to install the touchscreen in the dash where the stereo is now, however, it is so low that I worry about the GPS being difficult to look at. Does anybody have any other ideas? Has anybody seen a screen installed right in the lower dash?

One of my biggest concerns is getting the audio to work. I am not an audiophile (or whatever you call them) and my stock speakers are plenty good for me. How can I make my stock speakers run off my mac mini? I know I could use an FM transmitter through my stock radio, however, what if I take my radio out? Is there a relatively easy way to hook up my stock speakers through my mac min? Do I need an amp for this? (Please keep in mind that I am totally new to this and I barely know what an amp is... ok, that was an exaggeration)

I am hoping to get started on this project very soon and I can't wait to post pics of my progress and finished product.

PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 03-11-06, 09:28 AM
Tranman

I'd suggest you try MP3car forums - http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/
Old 03-12-06, 08:17 AM
ski4life9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tranman
I'd suggest you try MP3car forums - http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/
Thank you... I will see if I can get some help there. However, if anybody has any experience installing a touchscreen in an SC I'd love to hear what they think. I was looking at the car yesterday and it seems like installing the screen on the dash, above the instrument panel and air conditioning vents, is a possibility. However, I don't want to install something that would permanently mark the dash. Any ideas?
Old 03-12-06, 09:26 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased the dual core intel mac mini and now I have an extra mac mini (the original one) which I am now ready to install in my IS. I'm looking for ideas, too and like you, I'm not the expert. I figure it will take about a month or two to gather all info and do the research, I need to install more memory (1gb) and add Front Row...and purchase the parts. The hard piece will be the installation, wiring, etc (guess I need a tech manual)....this will probably take me all summer to get it right. If you check over at the IS 2nd gen forum, I'm going to post from time to time after I start my project. The touchscreen, the power adapter, and the connectivity will be important. Good luck!
Old 03-13-06, 08:14 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have done this install..in my GS... its not that difficult there is also JUST IS..he has the IS 300 with a ridiculous system in it...really nice..

here is my thread...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=mac+mini

his site is there also..

if you need any help advise suggestions..feel free to PM me..

My mac mini was running... GPS/ITUNES/DVD/AM-FM RADIO/ INTERNET..etc..

hooked up to :
MB QUART in all doors...
MTX 7500 SUB
2x AUDIOBAHN AMPS

it sounded incredible..as soon as i get my new gs i'm putting it back in...