Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Sirius/XM Install Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-11, 01:07 PM
nervekiler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what i had experienced over the last 6 years of working at a car audio shop is that most people these days are not happy with sat radio. lots of commercials and the content sucks.

most people have cell phones now that allow pandora or other streaming music stations and prefer to use these now.

just wanted to get that out there.

you can usually find a way to get a digital aux in that will plug into the headphone port of any portable device. there are lots of companys out there that offere this option. be sure to check with your local stereo shopS (plural, make sure you get more than one professional opinion on whats available).

just wanted to share this idea. sat radio is awesome but there are some obvious downfalls as explained previously... cutting out under bridges and in tunnels (expected its SAT radio....), and the service and price hikes...
Old 10-16-11, 07:59 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nervekiler
what i had experienced over the last 6 years of working at a car audio shop is that most people these days are not happy with sat radio. lots of commercials and the content sucks.

most people have cell phones now that allow pandora or other streaming music stations and prefer to use these now.

just wanted to get that out there.

you can usually find a way to get a digital aux in that will plug into the headphone port of any portable device. there are lots of companys out there that offere this option. be sure to check with your local stereo shopS (plural, make sure you get more than one professional opinion on whats available).

just wanted to share this idea. sat radio is awesome but there are some obvious downfalls as explained previously... cutting out under bridges and in tunnels (expected its SAT radio....), and the service and price hikes...
Can't really argue with you, Nerve. Yeah, it's been a bit of a disappointment. Content on most stations is too repetitive and commercial. That's what they get for hiring a whole bunch of people formerly from commercial radio. Some stations are OK though.

Sat radio has no commercials on music channels. It's just a shame that it didn't stay the way it was originally, when it was more about the music than an extra $0.03 in shareholders' pockets. Now it's BS just like most of the other corporate ploys.

Cutting out under bridges and tunnels will not go away until they install repeaters at every tunnel. The service does not usually cut out for overpasses or bridges where the obstruction lasts less than 4 seconds, because it is designed that way. Your radio has a 4-second buffer in it.
Old 06-19-12, 02:00 PM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there any thing i just can plug in to ipod adapter in glove compartment and get sirius radio on nav screen in 2009 rx?It has am/sat radio button on dash
Old 07-25-13, 09:47 AM
davidgz1
Driver School Candidate

Quick question would a tunner and harness work on a is250 2007. That came out of a Es350 2012
Or is the harness at least the same .
I have the tunner I just need the harness been looking for this wire for a while now
Old 12-25-13, 08:11 AM
madman3070
Driver School Candidate

I have simular question. I got a wiring harness from a 2007 land cruiser. I have a 2008 is250. The part number says 86100-0w200 in it. Need to know if it would work.
Old 12-30-13, 02:20 PM
davidgz1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by madman3070
I have simular question. I got a wiring harness from a 2007 land cruiser. I have a 2008 is250. The part number says 86100-0w200 in it. Need to know if it would work.
Text me a pic of that harness I might be able to help

321-284-8632
Old 01-02-14, 12:07 PM
crazy8ship
Driver School Candidate

I just bought an 08 IS250 Tuesday. I need to transfer my XM Sirius to the Lexus but I guess I don't have the adapter. What is the best one to use now? Most of the threads I see are pretty old. My dash has the AM/Sat button.
Old 02-06-14, 09:10 PM
ocp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by crazy8ship
I just bought an 08 IS250 Tuesday. I need to transfer my XM Sirius to the Lexus but I guess I don't have the adapter. What is the best one to use now? Most of the threads I see are pretty old. My dash has the AM/Sat button.

Im kind of in the same boat, I have an 08 RX 350 and was told by the seller it had satellite. I to would like to know whats a good current option for Sirius.

Would an option like this work well and would it give me the ability to change the channel from the touch screen?

Thanks
Old 04-21-14, 01:06 PM
Rolltide
Driver School Candidate

I have an 06' GS300 that has had XM since I bought it. Today, when I went to leave a client's office, I suddenly realized that I no longer had XM. Not like "no XM because you didn't renew, but no XM like there is no longer an option for satellite radio"

When I hit the AM / Satelilite button, all I get is AM.

Any idea what would cause this?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 07-16-14, 08:50 AM
nbrooks503
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by crazy8ship
I just installed SiriusXM in my wife's 08 IS250. It is a very easy task.

You will need:

1. SiriusXM - SXV200 tuner (about $50 with a 3 month trial subscription)
2. ISimple Gateway - ISTY12 (about $149)
3. Shark Fin Antenna Adapter, SFA12F - about $63 if you want to interface with the IS250 stock Sat Antenna

First - when you receive the ISimple Gateway go to the manufacturer website and download the latest firmware and then update firmware. I didn't do this on the initial install and was missing some XM channels - the firmware update fixed this.

Remove one battery cable from battery so as to prevent any arcing problems.

Remove the factory radio by (a) remove upper middle a/c-heating register above the radio - it takes a bit of prying but should pull straight out. You'll see two bolts holding in radio - remove them. Remove side trim at the bottom of the radio on the center consol - they will also just pull out and you'll see the two bolts at the bottom of the radio. Move shift lever to drive position

Pull radio out. Install ISimpleGateway using manufacturers instruction (plug in Sat tuner first) - the gateway interfaces with the stock radio very easily and is plug and play. Run shark fin adapter cable from tuner to rear of vehicle (I ran it under trim and through the package door). In trunk remove passenger side panels to reveal cables - the interface for the shark fin adapter will be wrapped in plastic - undo plastic and insert adapter (make sure you order the SFA12F adapter - I mistakenly ordered the 12m which is male.

Put everything back together, hook up battery and enjoy your SiriusXM

It took me about 1 hour to do everything
Old 08-02-14, 09:39 PM
Kmotoring
Driver School Candidate

We have had good luck with the SL3sat from Vaistech with our RX350. It uses the SXV200 SAT tuner and comes with the antenna and everything to hook it up.
Old 08-16-14, 08:54 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having heard of all the nightmares of trying to cancel sirrus/xm I'll pass. Just today I decided to try a "Premium" membership with Sky.FM.(Not affiliated in any way with them) Now I listen to mostly jazz and while I've listened to their 44 AAC free version and was happy with it I was hesitant to try the premium. Decided to after listening to the free sampler and was fairy impressed with with 256AAC streaming. Can't beat it for $7 a month with no commercials. The best part I can take it with me as it's on my phone.
Old 12-20-14, 09:36 AM
rguinn40
Driver School Candidate

Getting Sirius/XM install on my 2009 ES350 at audio shop now. They're on day 3 and still no good. The problem is when the am/sat button is pushed it only shows sat3 and he can't complete the install. They are on their second set of parts and I believe they are using vaistech, but not sure. I'm very frustrated. I have found several comments about sound, but not one about integrating the kit with the radio.
Old 02-27-16, 01:46 AM
Lexcel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rguinn40
Getting Sirius/XM install on my 2009 ES350 at audio shop now. They're on day 3 and still no good. The problem is when the am/sat button is pushed it only shows sat3 and he can't complete the install. They are on their second set of parts and I believe they are using vaistech, but not sure. I'm very frustrated. I have found several comments about sound, but not one about integrating the kit with the radio.
Hi, I have an '07 RX350 and after a frustrating several weeks-long fact finding mission, I opted for the iSimple interface. This was after two shops told me I could not get Sirius XM any longer on a stock headunit. And sadly Crutchfield told me the same thing unless I bought a whole new setup and aftermarket Kenwood system.
Well, all of them were wrong and the iSimple works great with the Lexus stereo. I now have Sirius XM on my factory Lexus unit which has the AM/SAT button and it wasn't that tough to install, but I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you've installed car stereos before.

Anyway just thought to leave a post if you are still interested after this much time has passed. The iSimple interface works well. Right now you have to go with the SXV200 tuner though, the 300 apparently isn't supported. This is not really an issue because the 200 has almost exactly the same features as the 300. (this is the module that goes in your dash next to your stock stereo, ank links to your head unit via the iSimple adapter). The parts are available online and Amazon but try to go through on authorized dealer if you want a warranty. I mistakenly bought from some miscellaneous dealer on Amazon, I saved almost half off but found out later they are not an authorized dealer, not a huge deal in the end because of the money I saved and worse case I give up the year warranty. All in all very happy with the product and glad my Sirius dilemma is behind me.
Old 04-24-16, 05:57 PM
orion7mm
Driver School Candidate

Default Add XM Radio to a 2005 GX 470?

Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.

Specifically -- has anyone used the iSimple ISTY651 "Connect" Interface and wiring harness, ISSR-12 cable, and SiriusXM SXV-200 Tuner combination to connect to a factory radio (with NAV and ML) on this era of Lexus? Our radio has the AM / FM / TAPE / DISC buttons. It does Not have an AM/SAT or SAT button.

However, several posts -- from reviewing various forums on CL -- suggest that a 2nd push of the AM button (once the sat radio is connected to the factory radio) will work, and that the sat channels will display and be accessible via the NAV screen?

Lexus "customer service" and the dealer have Not been able to provide any help with this topic.

Quick Reply: Sirius/XM Install Advice