Sponsored by:

SC headunit install ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-06, 04:11 AM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC headunit install ?

I need some help with my new eclispe headunit. How are you guys hooking up the systems with the stock amps (woofer and speakers) in the car? There's no outputs for a subwoofer with the exception of RCA connections on the new headunit and the signal can't be amped twice from the reciever to the speakers. Are you guys just bypassing the amp and rewiring the stereo directly to the speakers? I need some help here... Also... how about the illumination connection (the one that dims the unit when the lights are on). According to my wire diagram of the sc there is no such thing on our cars. HELP
Old 02-21-06, 07:57 AM
jrmoskal
Driver

This post is probably in the wrong forum..... but when i installed my headunit i had to install a 4 channel amplifier as well to power the stock front and rear speakers and don't even bother with the factory sub. I installed a new kicker sub with a seperate 2 channel amp if you care for bass. The way i did it was to install the headunit using a wiring diagram from lexus and splicing the power, ground and power antenna wiring. there are no actual speaker wires within the dash because it used line level inputs back to the stock amp in the trunk from the factory. To connect the speakers I used the same diagram and cut the wires from the stock connecter to the factory amp in the trunk and wired them directly to the new 4 channel amp. Then all you need to do is run 2 sets of RCA up to the stock headunit and a good 4 or 8 gauge power wire up to the battery. I used the factory switched power in the trunk to turn on the amp and used a bolt under where the factory CD changed used to be as my ground. As for the Illumination circuit I believe our cars don't have one. the radio will just end up being the same brightness all the time. There are also no filler panels available to fill the extra space where the stock radio used to be.... there have been several members here that used different styles and materials to make their own... do a search and there is a ton of info on this topic.

Hopefully this was helpful.
Old 02-21-06, 03:37 PM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

I was in a hurry when I posted this, sorry mods! Very helpful and this is my plan for right now. I actually have CNC machine access to make the filler piece so if it comes out nice maybe I can hook someone else up too! So your telling me everyone with an aftermarket head unit has aftermarket amps? Hmm.. the brightness has to be possible too.. maybe if I connect it directly to the light switch... thanks for the help and I'll put a post up in the CORRECT forum when I finish the project
Old 02-21-06, 08:43 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default Why pull the oem face?

I don't understand what is so offensive about the factory head unit. It is a fantastic pre-amp and looks perfect. Upgrades to the factory amp, subwoofer amp and replace speakers. The amp is responsible for the sound. I have focused on changing everything but the head unit. The aftermarket Sony/Alpine/JVC/fill in the blank head units look out of place everytime and cheapen the interior. Yes, I think that everytime I see one an SC, and there are a ton of pix on this forum that prove the point, particularly the morons who think a pop up DVD screen is cool, dude, its not an Escalade with spinner hub caps.
Old 02-22-06, 04:25 AM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

Actually it's the avn5435. It's a navigation unit THAT DOES NOT FLIP put rather takes up the full din with a black frame so it looks like a stock ES system. It also plays MP3's, DVD's, and I'm rigging mine so whenever you select one of thousands of songs I have, the music video will come up with it... now that's pimp! Oh, and did I mention navigation?
Old 02-22-06, 05:04 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah why stop the modding at the stereo?....for petes's sake..the head unit has a cassette deck! IMO useless....where can you buy cassettes?