Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Recommendations needed + problems with volume control

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-01, 06:00 AM
vern
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 92SC400 with the Nak system. Lately when I adjust the volume up, as an example, I get no response and then a big jump in volume up or down. Very irritating and it seems to impact the sound quality at times as well. Is this fixable ? At a reasonable cost ? Or am I going to have to replace the unit ?

Even if it is fixable at a decent cost I would appreciate some suggestions on reasonable upgrades to the system and where the best place is to start i.e. head unit, speakers, amps etc.

Much appreciated !
Old 08-16-01, 07:35 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's normal. Does on on my stock Pioneer system also. Most people don't recognize the jump since it's at the quieter end of volume.

Speakers are the best place to start. I highly recommend the Dynaudio lineup.

How loud do you listen to the system? What are you system goals?

Percy
Old 08-16-01, 11:34 AM
vern
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I still think there is a problem in the volume control because there was never this variation before ie. the volume level moved up and down on a consistent level and didn't jump and distort. Are you suggesting this is just a problem as these units get older ?

I do listen to the system at moderate to loud (on occasions) volume and would like a little more clarity. Am not concerned about getting huge bass but rather definition.

Can the speakers be replaced by a relative amateur (without any parts left over???). Would it be best to just start with better rear drivers or do the fronts need to go as well ?

Can new head units be put into the Lexus console easily. There must be plently of people who have replaced these units I would think.
Old 08-16-01, 12:15 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Vern,

A custom baffle (you can make one with a few hand/power tools) is necessary but the defintion and clarity from the upgrade will be well worth it. Start with the front tweets and front midbass speakers. That's what you're listening to most of the time anyways.

Head units will need a custom faceplate as there aren't any manufacturers out there that think there's money in Lexus/Toyota double din sized openings. They'd rather stick with GM crap. Go figure.

Percy