Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which alarm system do you have?
I have an aftermarket alarm
37.50%
I have stock alarm system
57.81%
I have none
4.69%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Aftermarket alarm in your ride?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-08, 03:54 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone have any answers to any of the above proposed question?

Thanks
Old 02-24-08, 08:05 PM
TORTOISE
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ill get an alarm installed eventually...lots of prics around here stealin systems.
Old 02-26-08, 08:59 AM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

Viper Ftw!
Old 02-26-08, 08:23 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Well there is none. Those systems actually compliment the factory alarm. The factory alarm will still remain intact with the Viper791xv. You can put the Viper on valet, and use your factory alarm if you want. A good installer can do that for you.
You can Sean, but the factory locks can go into "sleep" mode if left active if the passenger locks the door when getting out and then you arm the alarm. Only an inconvenience preventing the keyless from unlocking the doors, forcing a keyed entry.
Old 02-26-08, 08:25 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by cherplex
what are the cons of having a remote start this guy at my job kept bad mouthing it saying over time they mess up the car. he couldn't give me a straight answer when i asked him how is it different than starting it yourself manually.
Definately wont mess up car if done properly. Also, don't leave the blower control set to high. The immediate current draw upon start up can possibly cause a fuse to blow. Is not common, but can happen.
Old 03-03-08, 08:13 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by Neofate
Interesting topic --

I have purchased an LS400 that I will not be able to pick up till the middle of next week, so I can't check if A) It has a factory alarm, and B) If it works.

To be precise it is a 1994 LS400 --

I would think all Lexus's have some sort of factory alarm, you know the typical flashing indicator, with at least a door open without disarm would trigger. (Horn/Lights type of thing).

If anyone knows, do you know if the 94 LS400's have a factory alarm? (I know it has working keyless entry), .. and if they do, what all the factory includes on that year/model?Fairly certain most Lexus vehicles came with some sort of factory alarm. From as simple as making the door locks "go to sleep", to horn honk if door is opened. Don't know by model and year though.

IE: If a window is broken and no door opened will it go off? If they break a window.. get inside, and pop the hood cut the alarm power cable -- Is it that easy to bypass?Don't think anything will happen if no door is opened.

Secondly - I've always liked the idea of the remote start, and being able to start without the key (unlock doors just by walking up, and perhaps arming by walking away).

You guys seem like the experts,.. If a guy was trying to put something on a 94 LS400 that had a reasonable 'mix' of these features.

Say, would detect shock/broken windows/hood sensor/doors -- Would at least unlock the doors without pressing the button, but by mere proximity of carrying the unit.. (The remote start of the engine isn't necessary.. I can live without it if it significantly reduces the cost) --Open by proximity may be possible if someone (like DEI - Viper)makes a unit to do that. Not sure though.

So basically what is the best priced option to turn my LS400 into proximity entry, with a beefed up from stock protection -- cost me? What would you recommend, trying to stay on the inexpensive side. (Option A)

(Option B)

Where I could skip the proximity deal, and just go with

A) Beefier alarm ,.. but not 550$ --

B) Push button to start the car.Alarm remote start combo. Price depends on the shop. At a good shop price will range from $300 installed to $600 installed.

So I could walk up to the car and press a button (two if need be) and the doors unlock/alarm unarm/ and the engine crank. I get in and put it in Drive and take off. Basically taking away the need to use a key.

Is there any minimal option variation of the remote start that would run in the 200-300$ range? Or is that a pipe dream?There are remote start only units in the $200 range installed.

Also, with remote start,... you don't have to then "when inside your car" have to insert the key into the ignition to actually drive do you?Yes, you need to insert the key and turn the key to the run position so the ignition switch controls the ignition wire instead of the remote start unit.

Sorry for being so uninformed about security systems,.. just give me a run down -- Or a brief rundown and some links if you wish. I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks
See my answers above in blue.
Old 03-04-08, 06:50 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm getting a Clifford G5 unit with Intellistart installed on my RX this Saturday. I'll let you know about the ins and outs of the unit afterwards and give some feedback.
Old 03-16-08, 05:48 PM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

I had a auto page alarm, but i don't think that it is worth it...remember, l lexus would'nt put a wack alarm on there cars
Old 03-16-08, 07:07 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bkjasonp
I had a auto page alarm, but i don't think that it is worth it...remember, l lexus would'nt put a wack alarm on there cars
The OEM alarm is decent, however it lacks in being only able to sound when the doors are opened from the inside. It's just a glorified keyless entry system.
Old 04-06-08, 08:50 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by tcheung87
The OEM alarm is decent, however it lacks in being only able to sound when the doors are opened from the inside. It's just a glorified keyless entry system.
Plus, there's no starter kill integrated with it!
Old 04-07-08, 02:48 AM
Tomee
Driver School Candidate

ok i have a viper 791xv system

but what i am wondering is i can get added accessories such as tilt sensor, glass breakage sensor, but what i was wondering, is how do i hook these up?

do i have to purchase an expander unit to add onto the 791xv so it can have these accessories added on?

help appreciated
Old 04-08-08, 05:45 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by Tomee
ok i have a viper 791xv system

but what i am wondering is i can get added accessories such as tilt sensor, glass breakage sensor, but what i was wondering, is how do i hook these up?

do i have to purchase an expander unit to add onto the 791xv so it can have these accessories added on?

help appreciated
No. They are all plug in modules to the Viper alarm brain. I believe the 791xv is a 6 channel unit. As long as you have open channels then no expander is needed. You may need to build an inverter relay if for example a positive pulse is needed and you have a negative pulse coming in.
Old 05-20-08, 06:47 PM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

i wanna go with the viper.
Old 07-07-08, 08:07 PM
davidv433
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whatsup guys, basically all an alarm does is basically try to scare people from messing with your car, slow down the theif, or make noise. it all comes down to how good the installer installed the alarm, how good he hid the brain or how he wired it up to " slow down " the theif. I have been installing alarms & remote starts for a while now and i am by no means an expert, i just wanted to give my opinion on the subject, If the theives really wants your car he'll just tow it away, i've had it happen to friends.
there are units out there such as gps trackers and lojack and alarms with 2-way pagers the list goes on and all i wanna say is its only as good as the person who installed it no matter what it is. And i don't have an alarm on my car, i've just been too lazy to do it. it is an aps 997 made by audiovox alarm/remote start with 2-way pager. Hope this helps.
Old 07-07-08, 08:10 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by davidv433
whatsup guys, basically all an alarm does is basically try to scare people from messing with your car, slow down the theif, or make noise. it all comes down to how good the installer installed the alarm, how good he hid the brain or how he wired it up to " slow down " the theif. I have been installing alarms & remote starts for a while now and i am by no means an expert, i just wanted to give my opinion on the subject, If the theives really wants your car he'll just tow it away, i've had it happen to friends.
there are units out there such as gps trackers and lojack and alarms with 2-way pagers the list goes on and all i wanna say is its only as good as the person who installed it no matter what it is. And i don't have an alarm on my car, i've just been too lazy to do it. it is an aps 997 made by audiovox alarm/remote start with 2-way pager. Hope this helps.

David speaketh the truth!!!

Nice to see another local installer! I read your intro thread....I grew up in Iselin. Right next door to you in Colonia! Now in Middlesex. We'll have to meet up some time!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket alarm in your ride?