Sponsored by:

Eric Holdaway

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-01, 12:27 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Guyz - Ya'll might remember a discussion myself & Eric Holdaway had a month or so ago regarding woofer sizing. While he & I didn't quite ever get on the same page, I think we both made some good points & time will tell which direction the 12 volt industry goes. In the meantime, I found a photo & brief mention of Eric in the July/August 2001 issue of CarSound magazine. He comes from a terrific pedigree - entire family has a storied history in car audio ( pioneered the use of HLCD in automobiles!! ). Just goes to show ya that U never know who's looking around the ClubLexus neighborhood!! Nice to kinda meet ya, Eric!!
Old 08-12-01, 07:59 AM
Macky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone is into car stereo they would know who Eric Holdaway is. Back in the day their USD speakers where the ones to have. If anyone can remember the Speakerworks Buick they would know the man knows his stuff. I never heard the system myself but everyone who heard it said it was probably one of the best systems they had ever heard. If I remember correctly it only had 6 drivers in it.
Old 08-21-01, 12:25 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Who the hell is this Eric guy?

Old 08-21-01, 04:21 AM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Eric is responsible for some of the winningest cars in IASCA history. Harry Kimura's Legend, Todd Masturbura's T-Bird (& Honda), Bob Troxler's RX 7 (nice car, didn't do much at finals). Plus, they originally built the Grand National that Richard Clark bought and competed with for four years (undeafeated all the way) Not to mention that Eric has got some of the best ears in the business. Other than that, he is a regular guy
Old 08-21-01, 02:50 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Whoa is this Ira with the red Supra?!?!?!?!

Old 08-21-01, 03:09 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

Im a little rusty on my IASCA competitors, but I believe that this is the same Ira who owned or owns the red supra in Zone 3and usually does pretty well at the IASCA finals.

Last edited by sirsomo; 08-21-01 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-22-01, 07:09 AM
Ira Senoff
Driver

You guys are correct. I used to have a 1989 red supra turbo (heavy HKS mods) that was used to compete in IASCA from 1991 through 1994 until it was stolen the thursday before the 1994 SBN. Took three years off for law school, bought a 1996 jeep grand cherokee that I used in IASCA from 1997 through 2000. Now it is GS 400 time.

Now that you know who I am, who am I speaking with.
Old 08-22-01, 08:45 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

Welcome. My name is Ben, I used to be really into car audio, but now I dont have time or money. I saw your car when I was younger (cant remember what year). I have always liked supras so I guess it just stuck in my memory. I used to compete on a regional level, but never had the time to really get enough points. Now my car audio involvement is working part time for a small audio company and helping friends (and sometimes Club Lexus members) with their setups.
Old 08-22-01, 11:50 PM
GSAristo
Driver

Default Eric Holdaway... Todd Matsubara...

Man those names bring back memories for me. I've been fortunate enough to have actually met and "talk stereo" with these guys. With all their experience and knowledge, they've always been very friendly from day one. People like them made IASCA competition fun and worthwhile for me. :-)

It just goes to show how small the world is, and more so how ClubLexus has made it even smaller. As an example, years back Todd judged my rookie system at my first IASCA show. And now years later, he hooked me up with Tein HA coilovers for my GS! With Eric's help, I'm even currently using a set of USD Audio HLCD's in my GS. Now Eric and Todd both frequent this forum and actually share their knowledge. Yes, Todd's a CL member too. Can anyone guess his CL name?

Hahahaha... I love ClubLexus! May it continue to bring people together.

Old 09-03-01, 02:33 PM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Doublewhoosh - How do you know me. Is this Todd?

Ben - which show did you see my Supra at? It has been a long time since I had that car (March 1994 it got stolen). I really do miss that car. What did you used to compete with? I am not great with names from back then but I can put a name to a car....

Damn, this is a really small world, getting smaller every day
Old 09-03-01, 04:39 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Ira, yup tis I! heh

That was weird when I saw your name there, I was like...whoa.

Anyways, I opened my own shop here in LA after an OEM Engineering position at Clarion for a few years. Pretty cool I got to work on a lot of preproduction and prototype/concept cars, along with doing all the work for a lot of current production cars including the Beetle. Now THAT was cool, back in 96 they already had completely finished prototypes and we had to work on them at VW's top secret proving grounds out near Phoenix.

So what have you been up to...the stereo scene is pretty much dead, all of the people with the cool cars have long quit and there are just a bunch of yahoos out there with crappy systems and workmanship...nothing even close to the level of what things used to be.

Pretty cool I made a lot of contacts with the previous job so I still get to do a lot of consulting work for OEM and manufacturers. Car stuff is so much fun I tell you!

We'll be out in the Northeast area next year, you can check out the new toy

We deal primarily with Lexus stuff now, so if you need anything (especially wheels) for your GS let me know I'll hook you up with the "good guy" price!

Old 09-04-01, 05:46 AM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Todd

This truly is a small world. In 1993, I sold my business (car detailing, hi perf mods, cell phones, accessories) to attend law school. Then, to make matters worse, the Supra got ripped off in March of 1994 (thursday before SBN), car was all ready to be put on the trailer and someone took it. Anyway, that kind of deflated the car audio bug for a while, so I bought a vette and left it stock. Graduated law school in 1997, built my Grand Cherokee for IASCA and went back at it. I have to agree, systems aren't what they used to be; I spent 10 months constructing the Jeep to be totally stealth, the Anti-Mineo system (sub enclosure welded underneath truck, subs firing under the front seats, stock head, no visible equipment, no trunk space violated) and most judges didn't get it. Thankfully the judges at finals got it, maxed out creativity two years in a row, last year, one point from a perfect install score (overall). The GS is going Pro Street 1-600 this year, Alpine F1, Zapco, Focal, and ID (if the damned equipment comes in time) If not, I probably won't bother for next year. I think I need a break from all the competing. I don't know how you used to do it. Nat'l Points Champ - saving the world from Dan Polhemus(funniest damn thing I have ever heard). I went to about 10 shows a year every year I competed, that was enough.

Currently, I am practicing law for a small firm in my home town (after working at two other firms), doing family law and municipal court work (I am a former prosecutor). It is still beyond me how they could let me try cases regarding speeding - I was NJ's biggest offender with the Supra. But here I am, dealing with everyone else's marital strife and moving violations. Life is good.

The GS is really my wife's car - although I may be able to get it away from her if I give her a Sequoia (I am still a Toyota guy). I only drive the GS on the weekends. But I am in the market for wheels so I appreciate the offer.

BTW - you did the right thing. I would love to be back in the car business playing with cars; I think I love it more than the law.

Do you still keep in contact with Eric, Harry and Bob? I saw Harry's car for sale on the web a while back and almost passed out. It really brought back some memories......

Sorry for the long post. Give me some contact info and I'll give you a call or, in the alternative, drop me a line at IMSLAW@aol.com or call me at 732 266 1169 (cell). It is time to build the GS, would like to have your input and advice.