Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
Old 01-07-15, 01:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

possible to install navigation in a 04 es330?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-05, 07:32 PM
megaxman27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible to install navigation in a 04 es330?

hey guys new here, i recently purchased a es 330, but, I don't have ML audio and navigation. I've been looking around a lot of forums but no luck, any who, I was wondering if it was possible to install a navigation in the car, aftermarket fine too but ive yet to see any pics, thanks...
Old 10-24-05, 07:39 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything can be done...if u are willing to fork the cash.
For late model ES, modifications would have to be done to the OE radio (which would be trash if you want to put it back to stock). Assuming that you have the integrated H/U, haven't seen the '04 one yet, i'm basing it off the '02.
Old 10-25-05, 09:20 AM
megaxman27
Driver School Candidate

well that is true that with the right amount of cash it could be done but.. hmm... since there is no kits for our cars I would assume that you would need a lot of custom work?
Old 10-25-05, 10:22 AM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by megaxman27
well that is true that with the right amount of cash it could be done but.. hmm... since there is no kits for our cars I would assume that you would need a lot of custom work?
First, after removing the factory H/U you will need to see if there's a way to bolt the aftermarket radio to the factory radio brackets.
Second, you would have to disassemble the factory head unit, then cut out the area for the aftermarket navi unit, then fill the remaining gaps and holes with a combination of fiberglass and bondo.
Finally, primer and paint.

BTW, it might easier to buy the factory navigation trim piece from the dealer

Last edited by vin 78; 10-25-05 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-25-05, 10:33 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Any competent installer can make you a custom surround to fit in the double-DIN area where the OEM stereo resides. I have one in my GS400 that the installer (Tweeter) made for me because at the time there was no kit for my car (now there are a couple).

Not cheap as a pre-made kit would be, but It isn't rocket science nor should it be crazy expense. I don't know what the breakout cost of mine would be as I did a lot of other work at the same time.
Old 10-25-05, 10:41 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Arg I think I spoke too soon

See what you're up against...

One suggestion I might have is to see if you can get your hands on a middle dash cover (or whatever its called) for a nav-equipped ES. The size of the OEM nav might be perfect for an aftermarket Nav all-in-one setup like mine OR at least its a good starting point for your installer. That approach almost certainly will be less expensive than asking the dealer to retrofit Nav into your non-nav ES.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-25-05 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-25-05, 11:33 AM
megaxman27
Driver School Candidate

that was actually one of the methods that I was going for but Im not too sure where I can get those without going straight to the factory, I was hoping someone did install an aftermarket one so I could see it but... seems like no luck so far
Old 10-25-05, 11:50 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Make sure to check with our forum sponsors Carson Toyota (www.l-tunedparts.com) and Sewell Lexus (www.lexus-parts.com) and see if they can't get you a decent deal on the ES dash part. Both offer discounts to our ClubLexus members... Sewell requires a code for 10% - you'll probably need to call both of them for this part, not something they'd list on website due to low demand.
Old 10-25-05, 05:37 PM
megaxman27
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the replys dave

hmm i noticed on the l-tunedparts.com has a Myron & Davis in dash monitor for the es but I'm going to guess that thats going to need custom work.. Im still hoping someone has already tried adding a navi in the current model and will post pics soon
Old 10-25-05, 11:10 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yes it is possible to install the es330 factory navigation system in your non nav es330. i have done it using the information from the toyota sienna club who have thousands of pages of information on doing the navigation install. other than the initial screen saying lexus instead of toyota the 2004 es330 unit is eaxactly like the 2004 solara, and 2005 sequoia, tundra, and sienna. instead of trying to switch to mark levinson which would require switching all the speakers i just stayed with the factory amp. the whole radio comes out in 1 dash piece and the navigation dash piece and navigation pop in.
Old 10-27-05, 10:21 AM
megaxman27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusaudio
yes it is possible to install the es330 factory navigation system in your non nav es330. i have done it using the information from the toyota sienna club who have thousands of pages of information on doing the navigation install. other than the initial screen saying lexus instead of toyota the 2004 es330 unit is eaxactly like the 2004 solara, and 2005 sequoia, tundra, and sienna. instead of trying to switch to mark levinson which would require switching all the speakers i just stayed with the factory amp. the whole radio comes out in 1 dash piece and the navigation dash piece and navigation pop in.
pics please
Old 11-02-05, 06:02 PM
megaxman27
Driver School Candidate

bump in hopes to see the pics
Old 11-04-05, 01:13 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

heres the picture of the unit installed. i have complete photos of an install i did last weekend . the whole panel in the picture with airducts and clock all installs as one piece. it also got the rear view camera and a lexus dvd cd 6 cd changer . i found the purple speed sensor wire and the red and black reverse wire for the rear view camera right behind the glove box also the amp is right there for y connecting the voice navigation harness to the drivers door speaker. so i didnt have to remove the speedometer or the drivers door panel. all connections are within 12 inches of each other. to do the hookups. the speed sensor wire can have a toggle switch to turn it off so the dvd movies can be watched by the passenger while the driver is payionmg attntion to the road.
Attached Images  
Old 11-05-05, 06:26 PM
megaxman27
Driver School Candidate

i can barely see those pics... is it possible to make it bigger?
Old 11-05-05, 07:32 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

That looks like the OEM trim piece w/ the factory navigation.
hey, that's what i suggested above.

You may want to consider this trim panel w/o the navi. system of course.
It will be a lot easier to integrate an aftermarket H/U w/ this panel

Last edited by vin 78; 11-05-05 at 08:02 PM.

Quick Reply: possible to install navigation in a 04 es330?