Sponsored by:

McIntosh amps/processors

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-05, 09:35 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default McIntosh amps/processors

Who's geared up with these components? Just curious...

Percy
MC4000M, MC440M, MEN456 crossover, MEQ452 parametric, MEC459? Parametric/xover controller
Old 09-06-05, 09:44 PM
OGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will have the 440M soon...
Old 09-10-05, 12:46 AM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to install at a shop to pay for college. I installed a couple of McIntosh amps before, the only draw back is that they don't take much preamp voltage. other then that their pretty good amps.

Last edited by vin 78; 09-10-05 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-27-11, 12:04 AM
ERASE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My sytem...considering Dynaudios 430 mids and 110's

List of my gear.

Nakamichi TP-1200 Tuner Pre-amp with remote Pre-amp module Special shop edition (Upgraded electronics- difficult to import from Japan- but I got it here) Unusual features- has ability for Aux in to the remote HU (which remotely controls motorized potentiometers and trimmed resisters for Bass treble, volume) as well as AUX in for the remote mounted pre-amp in the trunk area. Visco eleastic dampening and springs to reduce vibrations into the circuitry.

McIntosh MC4000M 6 channel 1000 watt amp (4x 100 2 x 300) or (2 x 200 2 x 300) or (2 x 100 1x 200 2 x 300) has EQ bay for parametric EQ modules to have either 4 channel 6 band parametrics

McInstosh MC440M 6 Channel 400 watt amp. (4 x 50 + 2 x 100) or ( 4 x 100) or (1 x 200 4 x 50)

McIntosh MEN 456 5 way 4 channel electronics crossover. Has high, mid, low, sub (sub is mono only but has two outputs) and full range (suitable for a band pass in rear?) This unit also has a parametric EQ Bay

McIntosh MEQ 452 4 channel 6 band parametric EQ module (has analog filters that use digital settings for memory but can be programmed into up to 4 memory presets)

McIntosh MEC 457 Equalizer controller (allows remote setting of crossover point for MEN 456 and MEQ 452 has 4 memories)

McIntosh MPM 4000 McIntosh Meters (illuminated single DIN meter chassis) I hope to take a source selector from a pre-amp and use it to be able to dial it to check any pair of amplifier channels. (Don any ideas on this??)

Dakota Digital Voltage meter display (matching fluorescent tube blue color to McIntosh Gear

Dakota Digital amperage meter display (matching fluorescent tube blue color to McIntosh Gear

Dakota Digital temperature gauges display (2- one for each amplifier) (matching fluorescent tube blue color to Mcintosh Gear

Big Yellow top Optima battery (not installed)

3 a/d/s RS-10 Subs (old school plastic cones) I might go IB instead though and sell these.

Tons of Phoenix gold connectors and power distribution blocks and fuses and relays.

Tons of Phoenix gold speaker cable and RCA cable. For my front channels ..I might upgrade the speaker wire.

Cell phone mute switcher (mutes stereo when calls come in)

Many micro valve switches so I can open a sealed box at a press of a switch to equalize the pressure inside a sealed speaker enclosure with the ambient pressure. (I go to the mountains a lot).

I have 3 Nakamichi Changers

Nakamichi CDC –110 10 disc changer (has digital out)
Nakamichi Music bank MB-9 (7 disc changer) (has digital out)
Nakamichi Music Bank MB-7 ( 6 disc changer)
(likely will not use these and will use a modified Ipod with 256gb of solid state memory running apple lossless files)

Apple iMod (modified iPod with 256gb solid state memory)

ALO line out dock.

Or I could also use a Mac Mini (or my Apple laptop) with Pure Music’s Channel D vinyl engine lets me play high rez 24 bit 192 files.

Considering various DACs I have a WADIA 860x with Statement Level upgrade by Great Northern Sound- but a bit too nice for the car. I got a good deal on it used. It’s a great reference.

Apogee Mini DAC (Has firewire input so can connect to Apple computer) Laptop is always with me anyhow.

Might buy Weiss INT 202 firewire to AES-EBU digital to another DAC.

Currently- I have mounted the MC4000M 1000 Watt amp to a lightweight high pressure laminate fiberglass board. All the wiring goes through the board very cleanly and wires route underneath and connect to a 65 pin connector with ( 2) 1/0 connectors , (15) 12 gauge connectors and (48) 24 gauge connectors for signal. I got special gold plated pins made and even can have things connect in a particular sequence depending on the length of the pins. The Pins are transparent and add no resistance by their special louvertac band designs. The 1/0 connectors can handle very high amperage.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67269398@N07/6125715978/

The plan was to be able to put a different umbilical if needed to run an entirely different external system for parties…. Ie regular PA loudspeakers. The McIntosh MEC457 has 4 memories and one of these could be designated for PA use- I would merely put another umbilical on the end and one to power and ground and 12 volt turn on. I am a DJ too. I would like to throw outdoor parties and events.

The Amps can be removed for service or to lighten the car and make more room for cargo. They have custom high density foam cordura bags made for them.

There are two plates like the one shown- the second houses the MC440M and the MEN 456 with the MEQ452 Inside the MEN 456- there is room for another housing which could hold a few Daktoa Digital gauges or something else as there is a little left over real estate.

The second plate looks even cooler but is currently apart. I wired these myself.

This System was selected to have high s/n and low distortion and wide frequency response throughout. The McIntosh Amps have 110 s/n, the Nakamichi is the same, the only weak point is the 6 band 4 channel MEQ 452 which is I think 98 s/n… I could go with a fewer band unit or one with fewer channels to high a higher s/n ratio. I am a believer that nuance can be buried in noise- so s/n ratios can be important particularly if noise occurs in the midrange.

I have not selected my speakers as of yet.

I have the 3 a/d/s/ RS-10 subs… but IB might be better.

In the Apillars d’apolitto with the 430’s or alone):
Tweeters- I was thinking about using a Heil motion transformer ribbon tweeter- or perhaps a very special tweeter- dome style- that sounds very much like an electrostatic. I will try the stock locations first.

In the A pillars or stock dash locations:
I was thinking of the Dynaudio 430’s for mids- or perhaps some VIFA… I do not care much for the sound of the Dynaudio home speakers- even their flagship Evidence- but I hear the 430’s do not bear the same sonic signature.

In the Front door panels:
I was hoping to use these door panels for Midbass from jehernet.de – they make a pre-fabbed w124 door panel that houses (2) 6.5 inch woofers with matched crossovers for my car.

Or go old school and do Kicks. If I do this.. I might use a Decca ribbon tweeter from an old speaker called an Apogee Casiopia

Last edited by ERASE; 09-27-11 at 12:05 AM. Reason: yes bumping a 6 year old thread Because I bet it is still in his car!